Why isn't Hejduk's number retired?

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
2nd all time in goals and points for the team (ahead of Forsberg), one of the greatest goal scorers of the 2000s, and he's been retired for a decent length of time so why isn't Milan Hejduk's number retired? Did they just forget somehow or is there some bad blood with him and the team that I'm unaware of because I don't think that exists. I'm pretty sure he even attended Avs games post-retirement.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
We don't need the glory years parade every year :dunno: it will be retired eventually and his will be the last for a while, don't see why they are in a rush.

Retiring a player of Hejduk's caliber/importance to the Avs isn't a "glory years parade"...it's recognizing what he meant to the team through his career (which was a pretty damn good one).

To reduce it to a "glory years parade" is kind of insulting.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
One way to know if a number will retire? See if anybody takes it.

So far nobody has taken the #23 in any of the training camps since Hejduk has retired. That is a good sign that his number is eventually going to be retired.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Retiring a player of Hejduk's caliber/importance to the Avs isn't a "glory years parade"...it's recognizing what he meant to the team through his career (which was a pretty damn good one).

To reduce it to a "glory years parade" is kind of insulting.

They just had the alumni game last year, maybe make it more special to have guys come in for it when it's not something every year.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
We don't need the glory years parade every year :dunno: it will be retired eventually and his will be the last for a while, don't see why they are in a rush.

Celebrating history, especially a player of Hejduk's caliber, isn't a glory years parade.

We get it, you hate looking back on the glory years of this team. But Hejduk is arguably one of the top-5 players in this oroganization's history.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
One way to know if a number will retire? See if anybody takes it.

So far nobody has taken the #23 in any of the training camps since Hejduk has retired. That is a good sign that his number is eventually going to be retired.

I thought I remembered reading that Beauchemin wore #23 for Anaheim, and had to change it when he signed here.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
They have Sakic Roy Footer Bourque and Forsberg retired? That's more retired numbers than most dynasty level teams have.

You have three deserving retired numbers for their accomplishments in an Avs jersey: Roy Sakic Forsberg.

And now three fan favourite types in Hejduk Footer and Bourque? That's a bit much for a franchise which has only been around for 20 years.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Oh **** I thought there would be unanimous agreement on this lol I see we're arguing about this too. I posted it cos it was a detraction since I don't wanna talk about the ********** on our current team.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
They have Sakic Roy Footer Bourque and Forsberg retired? That's more retired numbers than most dynasty level teams have.

You have three deserving retired numbers for their accomplishments in an Avs jersey: Roy Sakic Forsberg.

And now three fan favourite types in Hejduk Footer and Bourque? That's a bit much for a franchise which has only been around for 20 years.

Not to be that person, but franchise has been around for 45 years.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
His time will come sooner or later , With the career he had no doubt that his number will be in the rafters one day .

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It'll be retired, it's pretty telling that the number has been essentially taken out of the rotation. As TV has said there's no rush to do this. He's the best pure scorer the Avs have ever had (although he was a far more complete player than most outside of Colorado ever gave him credit for) and will be honored as such.

I always maintain Ray Bourque is my favorite hockey player of all time, but Milan Hejduk is my favorite Avs player of all time.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Without posting an extremely large and correct amount of words about how number retirement in North American sports is terrible which nobody wants to read, it is. Beauchemin wore 23 before he came here. So did Rocco Grimaldi. Nobody's wearing 23 again in an Avalanche jersey.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
We better not win many cups in the future because otherwise we will run out of numbers :sarcasm:.

No. The Duke probably deserves it but the Avs have been very generous with retiring numbers to say the least.

Bourque did not deserve it at all.

Sakic, Roy and Forsberg absolutely should be up there.

But realistically Footer and Hejduk are a bit iffy to retire.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I'm not that concerned with the timing. He obviously deserves it, it'll probably happen sooner than later, and nobody will be wearing 23 in the mean time.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I'm almost willing to bet that Foote's number was retired because on top of his popularity 52 isn't a common number. Makes it easier to retire. Probably the same for the eventual retiring of 23. It's not like it's #9.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The retirement of Ray Bourque's number doesn't and still doesn't bother me. Organizations can do whatever the hell they want with their numbers. I wish people would just lay that tired old argument to rest. Enough already. It's up there and it ain't coming down.

They should also retire #18, just 'cause.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The retirement of Ray Bourque's number doesn't and still doesn't bother me. Organizations can do whatever the hell they want with their numbers. I wish people would just lay that tired old argument to rest. Enough already. It's up there and it ain't coming down.

They should also retire #18, just 'cause.

18 and 37 should both be put to rest. :nod:

Hejduk will get his number retired and I think he deserves it. I think people forget how good Hejduk really was. .79 career PPG in a low scoring era (higher than anybody on the Avs right now except Iggy), a Richard trophy, and 11 consecutive 20g seasons.

Hejduk is really the last number retirement the Avs will have for a long while. Probably 15+ years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad