Why isn't Gretzky considered the best goalscorer ever?

Joedaman55

Jun 7, 2014
Anchorage, AK
did you guys see this goal jannik hansen scored this week?

i mean, omg, he must be a mario level goalscorer to beat a 2015 goalie clean with a shot from the outside right?

Wow, scoring on a slap shot from the top of the circles on these super human goalies of the future is crazy. No way Gretzky could ever do that.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
i mean, omg, he must be a mario level goalscorer to beat a 2015 goalie clean with a shot from the outside right?

... yeah, I saw it vadim, and no, not so much the 2nd coming of Mario. You kiddin?... Look, composite stick, everyones got a wicked shot today. How about you imagine a composite in the hands of Richard, Hull, Orr, Bossy, Lafleur, and God forbid Gretzky circa early 80's. Huh?.... So.... goalie got a piece of that shot but.... had he been playing Stand-Up & had the angle nailed leaving the guy nothing to shoot at, puck wouldve either landed right smack dab in his glove or most likely gone wide. And if it had been Lemieux or Gretzky, any number of them, they probably wouldve faked it & not followed through on that slapshot because the Goalie wouldve been out challenging them. So that they'd have either passed off or gone for the hashmarks, backhand or deke, maybe in behind the net or whatever... Today, you can score like that, all the Goalies in a BF, deep in the crease, dont challenge, drop to their knees on your wind~up, idiotically their catching glove prone upright & close to the body to function more as a shield than as an actual catcher. All part of the BF stance. Not a proper "crouch". Body just square, in-deep. Guy with the time & or patience, pick them apart. Just wait for the goalie to commit, he goes down, you shoot upstairs. Roof it. Bingo. Used to be the goalie would wait for the player to commit. Stop him cold. Read them like a book by the way the puck lays on their blade & whether the guys on his forehand or backhand & so on & so forth... . Not anymore goalies not taught to read quite so much... . So no idea why you'd think todays goaltending is so much better. Basically from an art & science to pure science. Your just a wall now. A reflection of the way the games played. Stifling defensive system hockey.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad