Player Discussion Why is T.J. Brodie?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It seems incredibly obvious at this point that Brodie is a liability on the back end, looks poised to cripple our playoff chances, given Keefe's unwavering faith in the player. Despite former players, commentators, noting his decline-across the board- supported by abysmal numbers, he still records top pair D minutes, also "toughest" matchups.

To my mind, a Benoit has overtaken him, and that's not necessarily a great compliment, given how much Brodie has declined. Brodie isn't coming back next season, so this bizarre loyalty Keefe has with him, even more confounding.

Brodie is a big part of the PK problem, his inability to clear the puck and show any jam whatsoever out front hurts us routinely. He gets walked defensively, he's so slow now, easily the worst on the team. Physically weak, can't handle the puck, can't get a point shot to the net, zero offensive awareness, just all around mediocre to awful.

Some reporter needs to challenge Keefe with some stats, this guy may well cost him his job in the end. Brodie is washed.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I know plus/minus is considered a garbage stat but somehow Brodie leads the D at +14.

1710939897574.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
When Boosh is health, Brodie needs to sit... no question. I've probably been more patient with Brodie than most, given how effective he was at some point, but with his skating ability dropping, he's completely ineffective now.

Agreed fully. His time here should be done.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I know plus/minus is considered a garbage stat but somehow Brodie leads the D at +14.
He's on with the big boys.

Just playing Devil's advocate here don't shoot me. But is it possible Keefe is just being loyal to Brodie based on his off ice struggles with his wife etc ? He doesn't want to be the bad guy and sit the guy going through tough times even if his play deserves it. Possible?
I didn't realize he had personal problems. He was awful second half of last season too, to be fair.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Need to give Rielly-Liljegren an extended look and stop shoving that pairing with Brodie down our throats.

Rielly-Liljegren have been a positive pairing with some bad puck luck so far. 61% of the expected goals but only 30% of actual goals scored. Over time that should even out. Then I would go

Brodie-Boosh (brodie way better on the left now)
Edmundson/Benoit-McCabe

I would go Brodie-McCabe but that would leave the 3rd pair with no footspeed or hands at all.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Keefes a moron who cannot see what works and what doesn’t

Brodie Reilly are a f***ing disgrace
Nylander Tavares hasn’t worked in years

Yet. Here is our moron coach continually doing it.

How he wasn’t fired is a fraud.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
He definitely looks like he needs a break. +/- is a helpful stat, but the eye test is what matters. He is slow out there, losing battles, is making poor decisions with the puck, bad passes, etc.

He was great when we signed him, but frankly he appears no better than Gio at this point. I hope some rest and a reset does him good, he isn't that old, but he may be falling off the cliff. There is no way he should be playing ahead of Benoit. Our coach, like many, prioritizes the vets at all costs, whereas yesterday's opposition has no issue scratching their captain and their vets based on performance. Seems like Keefe is afraid to make the tough decision to sit him. As much as I detest him, I am pretty sure he is watching the same games.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Veteran respect maybe? I know the rink is a haven away from the off-ice issues he is facing but on-ice is affecting the team big time atm. It would be best for him to just breathe and observe for a bit.
It's so reminiscent of last year with Holl, people could see he was a liability but Keefe stubbornly kept faith in the guy and then he was unplayable in the playoffs.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
It's so reminiscent of last year with Holl, people could see he was a liability but Keefe stubbornly kept faith in the guy and then he was unplayable in the playoffs.
There is a fine balance that is required, as painful as Holl was, he was eating a lot of minutes. Babcock had Marincin, and Holl was for Keefe. Seems like Brodie has taken that role now, but more than eating minutes, he is a step slower.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Brodie and Tavares should be rested and never step foot on an airplane for remainder of the season. But they are so thin up and down lineup it probably doesn’t matter.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
There is a fine balance that is required, as painful as Holl was, he was eating a lot of minutes. Babcock had Marincin, and Holl was for Keefe. Seems like Brodie has taken that role now, but more than eating minutes, he is a step slower.
He also plays with little physicality. At least Gio will make it somewhat difficult for the opposition before they score.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Keefe is a stubborn, stubborn bastard. If he believes a line or a pairing should work he'll continue playing it, even though the overwhelming evidence states otherwise. Not sure if it's an ego thing or a pride thing, but nothing I've seen out of Rielly-Brodie tells me it's gonna turn around.

Brodie should be given a few games off to rest and reset, then put him on the 3rd pairing and reduce minutes. It's not about the name on the jersey, it's about performance and what's best for the team.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Keefe is a stubborn, stubborn bastard. If he believes a line or a pairing should work he'll continue playing it, even though the overwhelming evidence states otherwise. Not sure if it's an ego thing or a pride thing, but nothing I've seen out of Rielly-Brodie tells me it's gonna turn around.

Brodie should be given a few games off to rest and reset, then put him on the 3rd pairing and reduce minutes. It's not about the name on the jersey, it's about performance and what's best for the team.
They were literally laughing Sportsnet post game at the Reilly Brodie pairing. IT DOES NOT WORK ANYMORE.

Reactions: rumman

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Just playing Devil's advocate here don't shoot me. But is it possible Keefe is just being loyal to Brodie based on his off ice struggles with his wife etc ? He doesn't want to be the bad guy and sit the guy going through tough times even if his play deserves it. Possible?
Well that’s bad on Keefe’s part. You go to war with your best men you can’t put a weaker player in a position to cost others because the weaker has personal problems. No matter how noble the gesture is, it is incorrect from a what’s good for the team point of view. Like they say it’s about the name on the front of the jersey.

Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Well that’s bad on Keefe’s part. You go to war with your best men you can’t put a weaker player in a position to cost others because the weaker has personal problems. No matter how noble the gesture is, it is incorrect from a what’s good for the team point of view. Like they say it’s about the name on the front of the jersey.
If you're mentally weak, then sit this one out son.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

That’s probably the most obvious explanation. Let him be and carry on with dignity and do his work quietly…

But the compassionate choice may also prove to be the wrong one as he’s now struggling in a fish bowl and will probably just make things harder.

I’d be tempted to sit him for a stretch and cite a nagging injury. Get him out of there for his sake and also for hockey reasons.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
The title could be a philosophical question.

I need some time on this.

Give me half a day to ponder...
It took me less time than I originally thought.

The question "Why is TJ Brodie?" Can only be answered through defining the name Brodie. The origin will then bring forth an answer to the deeper question.

Brodie is Gaelic for "a little ridge"; "a brow", or "a precipice"; "ditch" or "mire", from the old Irish word broth; Second son.

If you take the last 2 words "ditch" and "mire", it might actually be the best description of his recent play.

I think every team has their mire type players. Brodie with age and personal tragedy is now that. Bold decisions for Keefe will come in the post-season...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad