Why is Phillips on the PP? And even worse on the 1st unit?

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I like Chris Phillips and all but his being on the #1 power play unit is Exhibit A as to why we need another defenseman on this team and quick.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The real question is how did this team get so weak that Phillips is the second highest scoring Dman on the team

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
I like Chris Phillips and all but his being on the #1 power play unit is Exhibit A as to why we need another defenseman on this team and quick.
We need another defenseman but there are already several preferable options to Phillips at our disposal that we are inexplicably not using.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
We need another defenseman but there are already several preferable options to Phillips at our disposal that we are inexplicably not using.

Well...
Phillips has 2:28 PP TOI/G with 7 PP points in 29GP (0.24PPP/G)
Wiercioch has 2:57 PP TOI/G with 4 PP points in 21GP (0.18PPP/G)
Corvo has 1:48 PP TOI/G with 2 PP points in 14GP (0.14PPP/G)

Methot has 1 PP point... and Cowen, Gryba and Borowiecki all have none with each having under 40s of PP TOI/G.

Seems like Phillips really is the second best option by any stat for power plays... and none of the other players really are much bigger of an option. If anything the 4 forward option should be utilized a bit more perhaps.

(Karlsson is 4:55TOI with 13P in 30GP (0.43PPP/G) as a reference)

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Well...
Phillips has 2:28 PP TOI/G with 7 PP points in 29GP (0.24PPP/G)
Wiercioch has 2:57 PP TOI/G with 4 PP points in 21GP (0.18PPP/G)
Corvo has 1:48 PP TOI/G with 2 PP points in 14GP (0.14PPP/G)

Methot has 1 PP point... and Cowen, Gryba and Borowiecki all have none with each having under 40s of PP TOI/G.

Seems like Phillips really is the second best option by any stat for power plays... and none of the other players really are much bigger of an option. If anything the 4 forward option should be utilized a bit more perhaps.

(Karlsson is 4:55TOI with 13P in 30GP (0.43PPP/G) as a reference)
Well the first issue I have with these stats is that it ignores having a forward back there, when what a lot of people in this thread are arguing for is Turris or maybe Zibanejad taking over that spot.

Another issue is that Phillips has played a much higher percentage of that time with the 1st powerplay unit.

A third issue is that those stats are based off a very low sample size and the greater sample size with Phillips jives with the impressions that lead to this thread, in that he he is bad-to-horrible as a PP point.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Well the first issue I have with these stats is that it ignores having a forward back there, when what a lot of people in this thread are arguing for is Turris or maybe Zibanejad taking over that spot.

Another issue is that Phillips has played a much higher percentage of that time with the 1st powerplay unit.

A third issue is that those stats are based off a very low sample size and the greater sample size with Phillips jives with the impressions that lead to this thread, in that he he is bad-to-horrible as a PP point.

The sample size is based off the entire season. So when comparing for purposes of this season, it's as large as we're going to get. And I think using 4F is a viable option for the team this year - but it would seem that Phillips hasn't been entirely useless (relatively speaking for the entire team) out there considering he's getting the points.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
I don't care about stats. He looks awful out there.

He can't make a descent pass to gain the zone, he hesitates before shooting, he can't hold the puck at the blue line.

I would rather have Zibby on the point than Phillips.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad