why is Par Marts reluctant to try a young player?

SChan*

why is Par Marts reluctant to try a young exciting player in any of the boring euro hockey tours?

Take Andreas Johnson as an example. He is good enough to play for sweden at this moment.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Good enough =/= Lock because you're a young player. But I definitely think Johnson is gonna be on the national team this season.

The focus for the national team has shifted from developing and building experience to winning now that the development process is established elsewhere.

Look up the first teams MÃ¥rts assembled, especially his first World Champs team. Those teams were largely built on potential, not ability. I'm not saying he had much of a choice, but he's not afraid to play youth. The difference today is that we have some quality age groups well beyond NHLers that are in their prime. It would be wrong to play a 20 year old player over the 27 year old player just because of age if you think the latter is currently better.

This is a good thing though, the national team should be about the best players available. Having a core group is important and gives the fans something to relate to. The turnover of players was too big for a while and the national team became more of a springboard for NHL prospects than anything else. I'm glad we're past that point. Young players will get the chance but not all at the same time.

Last edited:

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I want to see Nylander on Tre Kronor post WJC. I really think he is the most skilled player in the league. Would be nice to see him play against top European competition.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
There is no point in using young players in the EHT just as a development program, that is what the junior national teams are for. The EHT should build the core for WHCs.

With that said, Nylander should def. make the team post-WJC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad