Why is my shot much harder/faster with a stiff stick?

russellmania79

Nov 16, 2010
Hey guys... wondering if you could help me out here. I have two of much different flexes that I use. One is an intermediate stick that when cut down to my height (I'm 5'6, 175 pounds), comes to about a 75-80 flex. My other stick is a senior stick that comes to about a flex of 105-110 when cut down to my height. I've always played with a senior stick and after getting back into hockey after a 10 year layoff, I decided to try out an intermediate stick so that I could use a much lower flex after reading so many posts on how a lower flex is suppose to give you a much harder/faster shot. I love the weight and feel of the intermediate stick, but I just can't get much power out of it. My shots with the senior, which is much stiffer, are faster/harder. Am I really suppose to get a much faster shot with the lower flex stick? Am I doing something wrong? Am I maybe flexing my senior stick more than I realize while shooting in stride on the ice (which I can barely flex if standing still and leaning on it)? Thanks guys.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
the flex of a stick is like the power in a bow. The harder a bow is to draw back, the farther it will shoot the arrow. The same goes for a stick. The higher the flex number the more power will transfer to the stick provided you have the right shooting mechanics.

For ultimate power, you want the highest flex number you can bend.

However a stick is used for more than just making powerful shots. A lower flex number lets you gets off shots quicker, and some feel more accurately, as well as make it easier to make and receive passes.

Last edited:

Oilmageddon

Oct 7, 2009
I'm in the same boat as the op. 5'6" but I am only 140lbs. I typically used an 75 to 85flex but when I cut it down it would probably be closer to 100. I would get a great slap shot from that stick.

I just recently bought a intermediate 67 flex stick to try as I heard you want a flex about half your body weight. I find I get a better wrist shot with it now as I don't have to push as hard to flex the stick but my slap shot isn't as good. I think you have to practice more with a whippier stick to get a good slap shot.

So it depends the type of shots you mainly take. If you are a d go with a stiffer flex and if you are forward you can do either. I find as a forward I rarely take slap shots.

Off topic but doesn't Ovechkin use a 75 flex?

BadHammy*

Anyone at 140 lbs using a 100 flex is either insanely strong or likely has poor technique. Most likely, it's the latter.

With a lower flex, you've got to work harder but should get a better shot via proper loading. Keep the stick further away from your body. Just focus on putting all your weight into the shaft, exaggerating your technique and following through STRONG.

Now, if you're completely flexing the crap out of your stick on a wrister, so much that it feels like it's a complete wet noodle, it's probably going to be too whippy for you. But if you can't get any whip off a wrister, your stick is too stiff. My personal preference is a stick that I can flex a little bit on a snapper, or wrister, but is fairly stiff overall. Everyone is different, just use common sense and your judgment.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Hey guys... wondering if you could help me out here. I have two of much different flexes that I use. One is an intermediate stick that when cut down to my height (I'm 5'6, 175 pounds), comes to about a 75-80 flex. My other stick is a senior stick that comes to about a flex of 105-110 when cut down to my height. I've always played with a senior stick and after getting back into hockey after a 10 year layoff, I decided to try out an intermediate stick so that I could use a much lower flex after reading so many posts on how a lower flex is suppose to give you a much harder/faster shot. I love the weight and feel of the intermediate stick, but I just can't get much power out of it. My shots with the senior, which is much stiffer, are faster/harder. Am I really suppose to get a much faster shot with the lower flex stick? Am I doing something wrong? Am I maybe flexing my senior stick more than I realize while shooting in stride on the ice (which I can barely flex if standing still and leaning on it)? Thanks guys.

the first thing i'm wondering is are the 2 sticks the same model and curve? if the answer is yes, then you can pretty much go by what the others are saying. you might just be too strong for the lower flex stick, even if you are a smaller guy.

if they're different models, that may be your answer right there. i notice some stick models and curves give me more pop on certain shots than other sticks. or could be a combination of both different models and being too strong for a given stick.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
A guy on my team uses a 100 flex cut down to his chin, and he's about 5'6 145-ish. He can flex it if he really leans into it on slappers, but not much if at all on a wrister. But he barely takes wrist shots, he's all dekes, dangles, and slappers.

If all you want is slapper power, a stiffer stick can help, up to a point. If your technique is to really rush the shot and dig way into the ice, you'll load the stick up and get power. If your technique is smooth and just enough ice to load the stick but mostly powering through the puck, you'll want a whippier stick.

The guys with the hard, quick slappers on my team use flexes appropriate for their height....85 flex at 5'11-ish and 100 flex at 6'4-ish. Both guys have smooth shots (one only winds up to his shins) but have canons.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
A guy on my team uses a 100 flex cut down to his chin, and he's about 5'6 145-ish. He can flex it if he really leans into it on slappers, but not much if at all on a wrister. But he barely takes wrist shots, he's all dekes, dangles, and slappers.

If all you want is slapper power, a stiffer stick can help, up to a point. If your technique is to really rush the shot and dig way into the ice, you'll load the stick up and get power. If your technique is smooth and just enough ice to load the stick but mostly powering through the puck, you'll want a whippier stick.

The guys with the hard, quick slappers on my team use flexes appropriate for their height....85 flex at 5'11-ish and 100 flex at 6'4-ish. Both guys have smooth shots (one only winds up to his shins) but have canons.
I think this is key. A stiffer flex stick means less of a load up and a quicker release, while a whippier flex means the stick flexes more and takes longer to return to its natural position. You sort of want the load and release to line up with the rest of your shot, for guys with a really quick motion that means a stiffer flex, for guys who have a more drawn out shooting technique a stiff flex releases too early and a whippier flex is best. Of course height/weight is also a consideration, but I think the style in which you shoot also influences what flex is best for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad