Why is Martin Brodeur not considered a top 10 player of all time?

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I mean this guy has the most wins, shutouts, shutouts in a playoff year and all time playoffs, a 3 time SC champion, 2 time Vezina winner, Calder winner, etc. I've been on numerous "top 10 players" list, and his name is NEVER mentioned. I've also seen it on HF. I feel as if he is disrespected to the highest degree when it comes to all-time great players.

I'm not buying this sentiment about how he looked great because of the team he played on, if that's the case then Tim Duncan isn't as great as we all thought he was because he played on the San Antonio Spurs.

Why isn't he considered one? This dude was on another level.

Last edited:

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
because apparently a peewee goalie could have done just as well if he was lucky enough to be on the Devils

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
because apparently a peewee goalie could have done just as well if he was lucky enough to be on the Devils

well yes. he was a good goalie blessed to play on an elite defensive team for a decade. hell he faced what 15 shots a night a lot of the time.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Like someone above said, a lot of people believe Brodeur came into the perfect situation at the perfect time and just flourished from there. Benefited from playing on great Devils teams, and also when people think of the 90s-00s Devils they think of defensive trap hockey, which helped Brodeur's stats out.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Think of it this way... 6 of the top 10 you're looking at the greatest team that could ever be iced if we had time machines. 3 forwards, 2 Defense, and a goalie. The other 4 are basically the alts.

That's a really hard team to break into when you're not the absolute #1 all time with your position.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
In general, goalies get less respect on all time lists and Brodeur is always pushed back down the list due to playing on one of the better defensive teams the league has ever seen. Not saying I agree with it, but that's the common explanation.

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
Because anyone that actually watched the games know he was a product of the system he played in?

Not to mention the era which enhanced that system...

Not to mention the defense he played behind...

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
He wasn't as good as Hasek who played in the same period so he shouldn't be on a top ten of all time.

NeelysSoreKnee91

Mar 20, 2017
Because anyone that actually watched the games know he was a product of the system he played in?

Not to mention the era which enhanced that system...

Yeah i don't think teams went into games thinking OMG we're facing Brodeur rather than OMG how are we going to generate offense against this defense.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I mean this guy has the most wins, shutouts, shutouts in a playoff year and all time playoffs, a 3 time SC champion, 2 time Vezina winner, Calder winner, etc. I've been on numerous "top 10 players" list, and his name is NEVER mentioned. I've also seen it on HF. I feel as if he is disrespected to the highest degree when it comes to all-time great players.

I'm not buying this sentiment about how he looked great because of the team he played on, if that's the case then Tim Duncan isn't as great as we all thought he was because he played on the San Antonio Spurs.

Why isn't he considered one? This dude was on another level.

If you fit broduer into the top 10, then the top 10 could potentially have 2 or 3 goalies in it. And that just doesn't feel or look right.

There isn't really a concensus among fans or media for the best 3 goalies of all time. It is interchangable depending in who you ask. Some have roy, some have broduer, some have hasek. And not as many but some have sawchuk.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
well yes. he was a good goalie blessed to play on an elite defensive team for a decade. hell he faced what 15 shots a night a lot of the time.

I always forget the formula for shots against per game.. I think it's:

SA/G = total shots / total games (- 10 if you are Martin Brodeur)

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Judging by career totals is very misleading. Is Mark Messier the 3rd best forward of all-time? Not even close but he's 3rd in points.

Brodeur was a great goalie who played behind a incredible defensive squad. He was healthy for most of his career and always been pretty consistant. Those factors put his totals in a class of their own. But as good as he was, two of his contemporaries were even better. Hasek and Roy were intimidating goalies that could carry a average team to the Stanley Cup Finals. Those were the guys that had to be beaten for your team to win the game. Two goalies that could go on a tear and win it all by themselves. Brodeur was the perfect part of a greater good. He's the goalie you want to have if you want steady goaltending for the next 20 years. He's not the goalie you pick if you need someone to take you to the next step any given year.

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
Yeah i don't think teams went into games thinking OMG we're facing Brodeur rather than OMG how are we going to generate offense against this defense.

When you have a guy like Stevens on the ice, I couldn't imagine any player not modifying their play. Well okay unless their name is Eric Lindros. We know how that went.

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
Brodeur was straight out dominate. He's a rare case of a player that got more respect when he played, opposed to being celebrated post career. He also brought us our first gold medal in 50 years, won 5 jennings, and was actually even better in the playoffs then the regular season. He held a career 2.02 GAA, and 9.19 Save percentage in the playoffs and brought his team to 5 Stanley cups wining 3. Heck that 2012 Devils team had no business making it to the finals but he was great. Top ten player of all time? Maybe not but lets not act like he was Chris Osgood.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
He is a bit under-valued on this particular forum, I find. Few people seem to hold it against Ken Dryden that he back-stopped probably the greatest team of all-time, or against Patrick Roy that he played for the best defensive team and then the (co-) best team in the League his entire career, but for some reason Brodeur's team limits his achievements.

I'm not in general an enthusiast of goaltenders anyway, but for me the two things I care more about are (1) wins and (2) consistency. It's hard to beat Brodeur in those areas.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I think it's interesting that despite winning 3 Stanley Cups, Brodeur was never awarded the Conn Smythe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad