Why is laine not training his skating?

rndmHockey

Apr 15, 2018
There is so much junk science around fitness, diet, etc. It separates a lot of people from a lot of their money.
This. In the end it’s about energy intake and usage. In the long term factors beyond energy balance have marginal effects.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
It’s more about the fact that they’re burning a ridiculous amount of calories regularly. But I wasn’t asking why. I perfectly understood that.

I’m not sure that’s correct. I believe they can’t train at maximum level when they are required to perform at maximum level. I don’t believe that calories burned are a significant factor.. just the inability to maintain same training regimen during season.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I’m not sure that’s correct. I believe they can’t train at maximum level when they are required to perform at maximum level. I don’t believe that calories burned are a significant factor.. just the inability to maintain same training regimen during season.

I mean obviously they have to maintain a proper diet which is what makes it so difficult. I mean the amount of food one would have to consume to maintain when it needs to be lean meats, veggies, fruit, etc has got to be insane.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I mean obviously they have to maintain a proper diet which is what makes it so difficult. I mean the amount of food one would have to consume to maintain when it needs to be lean meats, veggies, fruit, etc has got to be insane.

It's been proven that the Gary Roberts diet leads to a significant loss of backchecking. :sarcasm:

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England

I think we are heading a bit off-topic here, but the argument I'm making is that it's not about the calorie intake. During regular season, a hockey player can not maintain a rigorous 12-times per week training regimen (as Laine is doing this summer I think). As I understand, they are basically forced to skip both gym sessions during game days and occasionally travel will line up in such a way that it will only allow for 1 gym visit (not to mention that travelling in itself is tiring and will make training less effective also).

In short: during off-season, an athlete can put 100% into training but during season the schedule and competitions will necessarily mean he can not train quite as well. This will cause a loss of muscle mass, which will mean a loss of weight (as they would not want to gain fat to replace the loss).

By all indications, athletes training or competing heavily would also be eating significant amount of carbs - not so heavy on vegetables or fruits as one might think. The well known example of consuming high amount of calories is Michael Phelps.. Here's what Michael Phelps eats every day for the Rio Olympics.

Reactions: Duke749

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
I can tell you that post is pure BS
Overtraining will NEVER lead to weight gain.
I want what they’re smoking

Actually, when overtrained, you go into a state of inflammation. Cortisol levels go way up, and cortisol drives up hunger, especially for high-calorie foods.

Overtraining doesn't mean that you have just been working out like a beast, it means your training/life stress levels have gone way beyond what you have been able to recover from. It doesn't lead to calorie deficiency, it leads to inflammation, and usually eating too much.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
71-vuotias fysiikkaguru sparraa omalla rautakuurillaan NHL-tähtiä huippukuntoon – Laine, Rantanen ja Kakko hikoilevat raakaa voimaa nopeudeksi

"Strength levels at the gym are starting to be good, but now we're trying to convert that strength into speed. I decided to take a different route this time, I've been going to the rink more often and started going there earlier. We'll see what that brings."

Ice training in July...what did it feel like?

"It felt really bad, not good at all" Laine said

"But it got easier every day".

Kakko & Laine have been doing one extra speed training exercise on Sundays.

Also Rautala said this:

"Of course we focus more on speed and explosiveness. Fast turns have become a big part of modern hockey and we focus on that"

Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
71-vuotias fysiikkaguru sparraa omalla rautakuurillaan NHL-tähtiä huippukuntoon – Laine, Rantanen ja Kakko hikoilevat raakaa voimaa nopeudeksi

"Strength levels at the gym are starting to be good, but now we're trying to convert that strength into speed. I decided to take a different route this time, I've been going to the rink more often and started going there earlier. We'll see what that brings."

Also Rautala said this:

"Of course we focus more on speed and explosiveness. Fast turns have become a big part of modern hockey and we focus on that"

I guess Rautala must have read all the comments on this board last summer and adjusted Laine's training program. :sarcasm:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

Also Rautala said this:

Now it sounds more like it! Daumn man, this is gonna end up reaaaaaaaaaaaally well, calling it now. I could so see last year that they had done so much strenght workout but his legs were like jumping to rink after doing 5 years in a bus.

I can see him being much faster now, I can see him if he gots that goat beard im telling people hes doing 40mph for sure. :sarcasm:

I guess Rautala must have read all the comments on this board last summer and adjusted Laine's training program. :sarcasm:

Actually he has done what board said. Read or not :D

Last edited:

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
damnit, i was enjoying commotion in the training threads.
What if "the professor" was indeed Mr. Rautala and he's been studying us all along? And now that he's left his studies, now uses our knowledge for the training?

Too far? Sorry. My bad. Won't drive over me if you ever visit Finland. Of course I'll buy you a beer after that. No need to be rude. :)

Reactions: Tommigun

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Now it sounds more like it! Daumn man, this is gonna end up reaaaaaaaaaaaally well, calling it now. I could so see last year that they had done so much strenght workout but his legs were like jumping to rink after doing 5 years in a bus.

What are you talking about? Laine came out 18-19 faster and more agile than before, but just got not used almost at all.

Maybe you are confusing that with 17-18, when he was indeed visibly slower due to his strenght training that only payed of much later into the season.

Last summer they had already moved their focus to train more on the speed and agility side as Laine had got most of the strength they thought he needs. Also Laine did drop quite a lot weight.

Now they said he has reached his strength goals, so they could focus even more on speed and agility, just as planned years ago.

Actually he has done what board said. Read or not :D

Actually they seem to follow their multi year plans pretty religiously, and Laine is certainly not the first guy they have had similar step by step development program. I am sure you have heard that Rantanen guy all right?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
What are you talking about? Laine came out 18-19 faster and more agile than before, but just got not used almost at all.

Maybe you are confusing that with 17-18, when he was indeed visibly slower due to his strenght training that only payed of much later into the season.

Last summer they had already moved their focus to train more on the speed and agility side as Laine had got most of the strength they thought he needs. Also Laine did drop quite a lot weight.

Now they said he has reached his strength goals, so they could focus even more on speed and agility, just as planned years ago.

Actually they seem to follow their multi year plans pretty religiously, and Laine is certainly not the first guy they have had similar step by step development program. I am sure you have heard that Rantanen guy all right?

Oh, really? :sarcasm: Still the boards hoped this type of changes that they have also made. That was like the whole point. No one seriously thinks they read this board nor that they dont have a plan.

Purposely not understanding my message, you can see that I was joking all over there. Just read trough what I said and how do you not spot the humor there. Idk if this was your time to shine on it I guess, good for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad