Why is Kaleta still on this team?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
To answer your question: he's an above-average penalty killer. When his face isn't broken or smushed, he's a fine 4th liner in the NHL as long as he plays on the right side of the line. He draws a ton of penalties (or at least used to).

He's one of the few guys who when he goes out there, you know EXACTLY what you're going to get shift in and shift out.

As long as he stays healthy and stupid-free, he could be Matt Cooke v2.0.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Is this a real article?

"He's a Buffalo native. Really, that's it."

That's it??? That's the only reason he's still on the team, huh? He's a good skating energy/PKer that gives an honest effort every night, and he's also under contract. Obviously people (including me) want him to tone down or eliminate the dirty and borderline hits, but otherwise he brings about everything a coach wants on the 4th line.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
If you were to look at blocked shots per game among forwards over the past few years, I'd imagine that Kaleta would rank very, very high on that list.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
To answer your question: he's an above-average penalty killer. When his face isn't broken or smushed, he's a fine 4th liner in the NHL as long as he plays on the right side of the line. He draws a ton of penalties (or at least used to).

Was, remains to be seen if he still is.

He's one of the few guys who when he goes out there, you know EXACTLY what you're going to get shift in and shift out.

He's missed significant time in every season of his pro career. If he played every game the rest of the year, it would be a career high by 2 games. There's no reason in the world to connect "stay healthy" to Patrick Kaleta and we don't know the permanent consequence of his ACL yet.

For the issue at hand, with this team there's not a reason to not try and rehabilitate him, they could always waive him later if need by. Right now, he's just another non-factor on a roster littered with them.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
He's good for a few mind-bogglingly stupid hits/plays that could get us a couple extra Ls this season, could help with the tank. And as a bonus, the more extra useless players we have in the line-up, the more of our young talent we can keep down in Rochester.

So welcome back, Patty.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
I'd rather watch Kaleta do what he does, instead of the rest of the Sabres trying to play hockey or whatever they're doing.

Kaleta is a good bottom 6er, but had some brainfarts that he got punished for.

Clock

May 13, 2006
Because he's a better hockey player than some players currently on our team. End of discussion.

Yeah, if Kaleta keeps his hits in line, I don't see him as being much of a liability outside of reputation calls, but this year... it's almost at "who cares" level.

I think the author started writing this with an obvious anti-Kaleta bias and didn't take into account that not everyone shares the same perspective.

Hell, even if this were a competitive year, don't you try mixing it up just to see if something sparks? Definition of insanity, etc...

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Since Kaleta's made more than enough derp plays to get suspended before, I for one hope he can truly see right now, as that would only complicate matters in "rehabilitating his game" if he's also grinning through light sensitivity and other vision problems just to return to the lineup. Last thing he or the team needs is another major to kill and subsequent suspension from him not being able to track play accurately and cleanly. He also won't be fighting with both a tinted full shield and a surgically repaired face, so that means you don't have to look past the Nolan cliches (compete, work, etc.) to understand why Nolan favors him right now with nothing else working.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND

I don't think he'll ever score enough goals for that to happen, as Cooke was a 12-15 goal scorer for most of his career and a great third liner. Kaleta had 10 in 2009-10, but he hasn't come close to double digits since. I don't think he's more than a tamer Dan Carcillo even if he stays healthy.

The real reason why Kaleta is still on this team is because he had another year left on his contract. I'm rooting for him, but I don't think the Murray regime is at all partial to him. It's the same reason why Weber is still here IMO.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
PK bleeds blue and gold and all he wants to do is play for the Sabres, its going to devastate him if/when he doesn't get another contract here.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I think the author started writing this with an obvious anti-Kaleta bias and didn't take into account that not everyone shares the same perspective.
Plus 5 points for not using the word "agenda."

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
Why is Kaleta on the Sabres?

connor_mcdavid_erie_otters_3.jpg

That's why.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad