Why is Dustin Brown the Captian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justonetime

Mar 13, 2009
I've watched the Kings for a long time now, every single game. I understand Brown was great in our run to the Cup, matching Kopitar in goals and points.

So is he really just the captain because he was named so when there was nobody better? I think we all know he isn't the type to be the most vocal in the locker room. He used to lead by example, minus the diving which used to help, but the refs figured him out. Now he is what? Brown tries to go 1 on 1, turns it over, does nothing. I've been watching my whole life this is all he does. Why is he the captain?

I mean this as an honest question

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not often you can find a guy who's a lock for 50-60 points a season, 20-30 goals, and near the league lead or leading the league in hits, including huge, momentum changing hits. He wasn't the most vocal, but was passionate and professional and a hard ass worker. Helped organize some of the workouts and other culture-changing things when this team started coming together. Showed up to rookie camp to talk about what it's like to be a pro. Complete leader in the community.

Plenty of reasons why. None of which are happening right now, when we need him most.

justonetime

Mar 13, 2009
I agree, the year the Kings won the cup Brown did everything. The years before he gave it his all. So now he is 28, and what is it, is he done, or is he not giving it his all? Distracted?

I mean what is it? This is really really bad, I do see the team as a whole is playing ok, unlucky for the most part, but ok, but Brown? ...I love the guy but when was the last time he threw a check? Let alone 5 a game like he used to...

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I'm willing to give him until the playoffs (if we make it) to see what happens. I don't really care too much about the regular season if the player steps it up when it matters. This is what Richards does. Brown had a terrible playoffs last year. Kopi did too, but Brown was way worse. Played like a 3rd/4th liner. If he's injured, then he shouldn't be playing.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Is this a question you would've asked when Brown was putting up...

07-08: 78GP, 33G, 60Pts
08-09: 80GP, 24G, 53Pts
09-10: 82GP, 24G, 56Pts
10-11: 82GP, 28G, 57Pts
11-12: 82GP, 22G, 54Pts
12-13: 46GP, 18G, 29Pts(82GP, 32G, 52Pts)

...or is it just now, during Brown's worst season?

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011

Ditto.

justonetime

Mar 13, 2009
Yes, it is now, this is when the then not so good Kings years ago were expected to hit their prime, so Yes I do wonder what is going on now.

What has he ever done to be the Captain?

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

Well you know it all about what have you done for me the last few weeks.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Yes, it is now, this is when the then not so good Kings years ago were expected to hit their prime, so Yes I do wonder what is going on now.

What has he ever done to be the Captain?

What has he not done to be captain? We have no idea either way, because we're not part of the team.

Everyone is beating the dead horse this year when it comes to Brown, and there's not much left to say about his production, especially on the road, at this point.

Brown is, by far, not even close, the biggest disappointment on the team this year. However, are you questioning his captaincy at any other point during the previous 6 years, or however long he's been captain? If not, then it's not a completely fair question to ask today, in the middle of a flat out horrible season for the guy.

hangons

Feb 27, 2002
Westlake Village
Visit site
I've watched the Kings for a long time now, every single game. I understand Brown was great in our run to the Cup, matching Kopitar in goals and points.

So is he really just the captain because he was named so when there was nobody better? I think we all know he isn't the type to be the most vocal in the locker room. He used to lead by example, minus the diving which used to help, but the refs figured him out. Now he is what? Brown tries to go 1 on 1, turns it over, does nothing. I've been watching my whole life this is all he does. Why is he the captain?

I mean this as an honest question

I think the bigger question is what do you do with his eight year $47,000,000 contract he just signed starting next season? The guy has one point on the road this season. ONE point??? Not even sure how that is possible...

How do you justify paying this guy nearly six million a year for the next eight years? He's a 3-4 million player at best and this needs to be remedied. He is clearly on the down side of his career.

Last edited:

justonetime

Mar 13, 2009
I think the bigger question is what do you do with his eight year $47,000,000 contract he just signed starting next season? The guy has one point on the road this season. ONE point??? Not even sure how that is possible...

How do you justify paying this guy nearly six million a year for the next eight years? He's a 3-4 million player at best and this needs to be remedied. He is clearly on the down side of his career.

Oh yes exactly.

It has to get better...that's not even my point in this thread. But the Captain? telling me to prove what he hasn't done when I ask what he has..

There are leaders on this team. Is Dustin one of them?

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
These discussions are stupid for two reasons:

1. None of us are in the locker room. None of us know how the players feel about each other, how they lead, or how they respond.

2. There are plenty of leaders on the team, the C itself is means nothing. Nobody on the team is going to be any more of a leader if you sew a letter on his jersey. If anyone on the team is capable of being captain and they have something to say, they will say it, letter or no letter.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Anyone who gets a letter on the national team, which is stacked with great players and leaders, is probably pretty good in the room.

Just a hunch.

Ron*

I have heard not so much as a peep when it comes to any dissatisfaction of the captaincy of Dustin Brown.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
OP had a perfectly legitimate question. There are obviously details we aren't privy to but we don't have to discuss them.

Can just respond or move on, no big deal and no hard feelings.

That being said, OP asked why he was (became) the captain, got answered, and I think we're done here before we move into hypotheticals that none of us can legitimately answer, because this is quickly morphing into "why is he the captain now" rather than the original question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad