Why I think we should not move up in the draft

ZeroPT*

sure he says it, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll do it.

If they have someone very high on their list and he's sill available at 22-25 I'm all for moving up a couple spots. Bu packaging all 3 2nd rounders or moving up 5-6 spots from 31 by sacrificing another 2nd isn't smart IMO

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Denial? :laugh:

How am I in denial?

Murray wants to trade up
You do not
You don't want to accept that Murray wants to do what you think we should not do

not to mention the hilariousness of your shift to this position:
"I don't want to trade up, unless there is someone to trade up for"

ZeroPT*

Murray wants to trade up
You do not
You don't want to accept that Murray wants to do what you think we should not do

not to mention the hilariousness of your shift to this position:
"I don't want to trade up, unless there is someone to trade up for"

I have a difference in opinion with TM. How dos that put me in denial?

And you say I have a shift in position, when I mentioned that very same position on the OP.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I have a difference in opinion with TM. How dos that put me in denial?

This is denial:
this is probably thr most egotistical response I've read in any thread.

You don't know that, neither do I.

"I’d like to get a couple of more first round picks and I have those three second-rounders to use." - Tim Murray

denial

And you say I have a shift in position, when I mentioned that very same position on the OP.

True... it's a "have your cake and eat it too" thread...

"I don't think the Sabres should trade up, unless there is someone to trade up for" - ZeroPT

:rolleyes: :handclap:

ZeroPT*

True... it's a "have your cake and eat it too" thread...

"I don't think the Sabres should trade up, unless there is someone to trade up for" - ZeroPT

:rolleyes: :handclap:

what?

I say I don't think the sabres should move up UNLESS the Sabres identify a player who's high on their list and is still falling into the 20's.

What's wrong with that?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
what?

I say I don't think the sabres should move up UNLESS the Sabres identify a player who's high on their list and is still falling into the 20's.

What's wrong with that?

you are just stating the obvious...

I mean, your caveat about the 20s is pointless (if the player they have ranked 9th, is available at 18 and they have the ability to get him, they should do it... right?)

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
what?

What's wrong with that?

Don't you think that's kind of an obvious position? On the narrow premise of just using picks.. Of course the Sabres won't package the 2nds unless there's a guy they want to go after.

Do you think they will package those 2nds for a 1st even if they don't want anyone? Really? And that's what your against? That's why (as the thread title says) you don't think the Sabres should move up in the draft? You think they'll do it just to blindly do it?

ZeroPT*

you are just stating the obvious...

I mean, your caveat about the 20s is pointless (if the player they have ranked 9th, is available at 18 and they have the ability to get him, they should do it... right?)

Yes.

Question:
Say you're the GM, and you have a guy rated 12th and now the draft has proceeded to the 18th pick. Would you try and move up then?

ZeroPT*

Don't you think that's kind of an obvious position? On the narrow premise of just using picks.. Of course the Sabres won't package the 2nds unless there's a guy they want to go after.

Do you think they will package those 2nds for a 1st even if they don't want anyone? Really? And that's what your against? That's why (as the thread title says) you don't think the Sabres should move up in the draft? You think they'll do it just to blindly do it?

No I think that the sabres should stand pat with all their 2nd rounders unless they have a guy really highly rated who's still available in the later parts of round 1.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Yes.

Question:
Say you're the GM, and you have a guy rated 12th and now the draft has proceeded to the 18th pick. Would you try and move up then?

absolutely, of course, no brainer (considering the ammo we have and the lack of talent in this draft)

and you would too

(I bet this is a Kempe reference)

What if that same player fell to 25... (it's a miracle)... and the only team willing to trade down wants the same package of picks you were offering to move up to 18...

YOU STILL DO IT

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
No I think that the sabres should stand pat with all their 2nd rounders unless they have a guy really highly rated who's still available in the later parts of round 1.

This is so dumb...
If you have a guy rated very highly, and you have the opportunity to get him... you go for it. You don't say, "hey, we are only going to attempt to get really good players if they FALL FAR ENOUGH"
:shakehead

ZeroPT*

absolutely, of course, no brainer (considering the ammo we have and the lack of talent in this draft)

and you would too

(I bet this is a Kempe reference)

What if that same player fell to 25... (it's a miracle)... and the only team willing to trade down wants the same package of picks you were offering to move up to 18...

YOU STILL DO IT

I agree. But this thread is angled at those who just want to move up for the hell of it. Because they want to see an extra 1st.

My position is unless someone is FALLING HARD (I gave the Fowler,Forsberg,Shinkaruk examples in the OP) i'd stay at 31 ,39 and 49.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
1-Reinhart
2-Ekblad
3-Draisaitl
4-Bennett
5-Nylander
6.Dal Colle
7-Fleury
8-Virtanen
9-Ehlers
10-Barbashev
11-Ritchie
12-Kempe
13-Kapanen
14-Tuch
15-Milano
16-Perlini

17-Scherbak
18-Fiala
19-Fabbri
20-McKeown
21-McCann
22-Honka
23-Demko
24-Larkin
25-Karlsson
26-Bleackley
27-Pettersson
28-Sanheim
29-Husso
30-DeAngelo

NOTES: Really high on Barbashev and Kempe. Both are big strong bullish forwards who would be ideal pick ups. Not as high on Ritchie/Perlini, I have concerns over how well their game translates. Husso might be unusual but from my (albeit limited) views of him he was good. Demko may be high but I really like his combination of size and technique. Karlsson may be high for some but he too is a big,strong, in your face type of forward. DeAngelo is low mainly because of character issues. If it were purely skill, he'd be in my top 10. Fleury may be higher than others but I really like his poise and mature two-way game. Milano and Tuch are the two I've seen basically none of (1 game each) so that ranking is purely from what I've read about them.

Most of those guys in that 10-16 range are significantly better prospects than the guys in your 25-30 range

If I have a chance at those significantly better prospects, I am going after them... and I don't factor in waiting for them to fall far enough. I factor that they are very good 1st round talents, and later in the draft those talents do not exist.

I am more interested in giving up "a lot" to go get Tuch (my guy)...10-15 range high 1st round talent
Than I am in giving up "a little" to get Larkin... 20-30 range, moderate 1st round talent

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I agree. But this thread is angled at those who just want to move up for the hell of it. Because they want to see an extra 1st.

My position is unless someone is FALLING HARD (I gave the Fowler,Forsberg,Shinkaruk examples in the OP) i'd stay at 31 ,39 and 49.

THE position should be, "go get top end talent"

"Falling" shouldn't matter at all.

ZeroPT*

Most of those guys in that 10-16 range are significantly better prospects than the guys in your 25-30 range

If I have a chance at those significantly better prospects, I am going after them... and I don't factor in waiting for them to fall far enough. I factor that they are very good 1st round talents, and later in the draft those talents do not exist.
I know you like to break these off into tiers, here's how I break them off:

Tier 1
Reinhart

Tier 2
Ekblad
Draisaitl
Bennett

Tier 3
Nylander
Dal Colle

tier 4
Fleury
Ehlers
Kempe
Virtanen
Barbashev

Tier 5
Ritchie
Larkin
Kapanen
Tuch
Milano

and then after these guys, the draft is basically all one tier from 17-35 all those guys are roughly similar IMO.

If one of the guys I had rated between 10-16 is still there in the 20's (except for Perlini, big No-No on him) I'd move up, otherwise I don't see the value.

ZeroPT*

THE position should be, "go get top end talent"

"Falling" shouldn't matter at all.

Meh. I think we should continue stocking the shelves this year and REALLY start gunning for top end guys next year.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I know you like to break these off into tiers, here's how I break them off:

Tier 1
Reinhart

Tier 2
Ekblad
Draisaitl
Bennett

Tier 3
Nylander
Dal Colle

tier 4
Fleury
Ehlers
Kempe
Virtanen
Barbashev

Tier 5
Ritchie
Larkin
Kapanen
Tuch
Milano

and then after these guys, the draft is basically all one tier from 17-35 all those guys are roughly similar IMO.

i disagree with that part... you are grouping guys with very very high end skills (and flaws) like ex. Goldobin, Fiala, Fabbri, Mckeown... with physical/low ceiling/grind it out career potential like Lemieux, Bleackley... i think that's a pretty poor "tier".

regardless... your argument is still perplexing when you say you will only trade for tier 4 or 5 talent (#7-15)... if it falls into the 20s... which means you'd likely only get the last of the tier 4 or 5 talent.... when you could trade to be higher up to SELECT YOUR GUY from that tier 4 or 5 talent.

I have 7 tiers / top 40

I think there is a huge drop from the tier 5 (15-20), to tier 6 (20-30...2nd round talent), and tier 7 (30-40) is barely 2nd round talent.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Meh. I think we should continue stocking the shelves this year and REALLY start gunning for top end guys next year.

again, that makes no sense... why should we ever not be gunning for top end guys????

:huh:

Even if you subscribe to that line of thinking, this is the worst year to employ it....

Why should we use a draft thin on talent, as a "stock the shelves" year?

We have quantity in a draft that lacks quality depth...

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

A lot of people say this as though the price won't inflate commensurate with the value available. If you only want to shop for great picks, make a pitch to Edmonton for #3 this year. It's not like you'll pay much less to get into the top 10 next year.

ZeroPT*

i disagree with that part... you are grouping guys with very very high end skills (and flaws) like ex. Goldobin, Fiala, Fabbri, Mckeown... with physical/low ceiling/grind it out career potential like Lemieux, Bleackley... i think that's a pretty poor "tier".

regardless... your argument is still perplexing when you say you will only trade for tier 4 or 5 talent (#7-15)... if it falls into the 20s... which means you'd likely only get the last of the tier 4 or 5 talent.... when you could trade to be higher up to SELECT YOUR GUY from that tier 4 or 5 talent.

I have 7 tiers / top 40

I think there is a huge drop from the tier 5 (15-20), to tier 6 (20-30...2nd round talent), and tier 7 (30-40) is barely 2nd round talent.
well I can't sway your judgement. It's your opinion and my opinion. They differ.

I don't think there is much separation between the guys rated between 17-25 compared to guys rated between 26-35

ZeroPT*

again, that makes no sense... why should we ever not be gunning for top end guys????

:huh:

Even if you subscribe to that line of thinking, this is the worst year to employ it....

Why should we use a draft thin on talent, as a "stock the shelves" year?

We have quantity in a draft that lacks quality depth...

assuming we package our 2nds we wouldn't be able to move up higher than 14th. We'd get a real nice prospect at 14th but I don't think it's worth it to make that move.

If we could get in the top 10, I'd be all over that. But I'd rather stay put and pick up 2 good 2nd round talents at 31 and 39 than move up and grab a guy like Scherbak or Fiala for example. Basically what I'm saying is I'd rather have Karlsson AND Cornel over just Fiala.

The reason why I think we shouldn't move up is because the so called "quality" found at 15-20 is better than the guys rated between 25-35. Another thing is, Bob McKenzie's list is often viewed as the most accurate in the hockey world, and he usually gets 25 out of 30 picks right, meaning there are usually 5 1st round rated players that fall out of round 1, we could get a Bleackley,Goldobin,Ho-Sang,Vrana type of guy at 31 anyway.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
I'd be fine with trading all our picks this year, and just having #2 and another top 3-10 pick.

Quality is what we need to be after going forward, not "stocking the cupboards."

Yes, you can find nhl'ers in the 2nd plus but they're needles in the haystack. Give us two 75% probable top 6ers, that needs to be the goal this year and next.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
This is probably a really odd opinion but I don't think we should move any of our 2nd round picks in this year's draft. Here's why:

1)talent
Many scouts believe that a player drafted in the 20's is similar to a player drafted in the 30's this year. For example, Jakub Vrana is ranked between 19-25 in most outlets yet I don't truly see why he's better than Eric Cornel or John Quenneville who are almost always rated as 2nd rounders.

2)baptiste and Hurley
Baptiste and Hurley are both turning 18 years old after this years draft. We used picks 38 and 68 on these guys last year. Had these guys been born a couple days or hours later they would've been eligible for this draft, and both would likely have been mid 1st rounders this year. So we essentially have the 2nd overall pick, a pick in the 12-17 range (baptiste) and a pick in the 19-25 range (Hurley).

3)importance of 2nd rounders
We are all aware if the glut of guys drafted after pick 30 who have carved out good careers and even become stars (datsyuk,Weber,Keith et all) and I'd like to see what Murray could do with the 2nds this year. We also all know how important it is to hit on your 2nds/later picks when building a team. And if we package all 3 2nds like some have suggested we wouldn't even get the chance to get this guys and I doubt we'd get much higher than 14-15.

4)fallers
In bob's final rankings James duthie showed a graph on BM's accuracy over the years. And most of them were 24 or 25 players out of 30. Meaning there could be 4 or 5 guys who are projected 1st rounders and will be there at 31.

Now I'm not against moving up for a guy who's high on the sabres list or a guy who's falling (fowler in 2010,forsberg in 2012 and Shinkaruk last year) but packaging two 2nds to go from 31 to 22 or something like that is something I'd be against.

Discuss.
Some of your other points have been discussed/rebutted, but I want to focus on (& rebut) #2 above. It's a non-sequitir to your argument. How does an event in the past influence present option A (stand pat) vs. option B (package 1 or more picks to trade up) vs. option C (package all 2nd rounders to move up)? The event in the past remains the same outcome regardless of what option is chosen in the present.

The only way past event ARE relevant to the present options is if you're legitimately concerned the Sabres, with very high probability or certainty, will be up against the 50 SPC limit, without slides, and that there will be no way around it. You didn't express that opinion, although others did in the discussion.

One might even turn #2 around to the other extreme and say Baptiste and Hurley have yet to make it to the NHL, and so therefore in a "binary world", i.e., NHL'er or non-NHL'er, they remain non-NHL'ers (as if they never were drafted by BUF). So therefore one would argue to keep the qty 3 = 2nd round 2014 picks and draft them (but you didn't argue that).

If they have someone very high on their list and he's sill available at 22-25 I'm all for moving up a couple spots. Bu packaging all 3 2nd rounders or moving up 5-6 spots from 31 by sacrificing another 2nd isn't smart IMO
Others are debating this similar point. Stating the obvious, but (as has been discussed in other threads) there are statistical ways to quanitfy the probability of a particular sequential draft choice playing a certain # of games in the NHL. A best fit line, with a confidence interval "error bars", can be fit to each sequential pick. Then, during the draft, when progressing through each pick, one can decide if this year's collective picks in a Talent Tier range is higher or lower than past years, in which case one might choose to bias the best fit line for that particular pick / pick range up or down, respectively. Then a quantitative value can be assigned to that pick vs. the choices you're already holding.

tl;dr = if all talent is equal, hold the picks & maximize probability of success. if talent is unequal, trade picks to increase probability of success. Even in the back-pedaling or clarifying disscussion you agree with that.

I'd be fine with trading all our picks this year, and just having #2 and another top 3-10 pick.

Quality is what we need to be after going forward, not "stocking the cupboards."

Yes, you can find nhl'ers in the 2nd plus but they're needles in the haystack. Give us two 75% probable top 6ers, that needs to be the goal this year and next.
My view as well. It's the logical one, and can be semi-quantified with enough objectivity to not be fully subjective. Also, with Murray running the show, there's less likelihood (IMO) of a 2014 version of the Sekera trade (which objectively was bad value, even if one is accepting that it was made).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad