Why hasn't Trevor Linden been Inducted into the hof?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
There are a few ways to look at Linden. As a player, completely likeable, even loveable in Vancouver. Heck, even I have a soft spot for the 1994 Canucks. Obviously on the ice he didn't do enough though and as a player there is no argument.

As player rep of the NHLPA, he was looked at by the fans as a villain and probably eventually by the players as someone who didn't do enough for them. Really, he was in a bad position. I know I hated Linden around 2004 and 2005. Why? Because all you saw was him waltzing around with Bob Goodenow every time you saw the highlights of the lockout and as fans you almost felt like he was selling you out.

People probably don't even realize that there hasn't officially been a player rep since Linden in 2006. Other players did it. Mike Gartner did it in the 1990s for a while, Bryan Trottier did it for about a decade, before him Phil Esposito, Tony Esposito, Bobby Clarke, etc. However, none of them are part of the reason an entire NHL season was cancelled. Yes it bothers me like it does most fans that Bettman is in the HHOF because quite frankly he shouldn't be. But I wouldn't put any of them in who took part in that. Bill Daly either.

I can't say I have any respect for a single NHLPA Executive Director in history either. Not Eagleson, Goodenow, Saskin or Fehr. Only Paul Kelly's brief time did I actually like him because he was a genuine fan of the game and seemed to not only stick up for the players but have interest in the integrity of the game...............which is probably why they booted him out.

But yeah, no to Linden. Those were dark times for a hockey fan. I watched more romance movies than I would care to admit.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I think it's best to overlook the "player rep" thing and focus more on Linden as a player.

As a player he had everyone's respect and remains a folk hero in Vancouver. Definitely up to 1994 or so, you could see Linden potentially finishing with a Hall of Fame career. But unfortunately he fell off badly after 1995 or so.

He still had a very impressive and satisfying career, but in terms of impact his career is basically irrelevant, except to Canuck fans, after he was 24 or 25.

So, no.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Linden up to 95 had a great little career going on, especially as a heart-and-soul PPG guy in the playoffs, but it was hardly a HHOF trajectory even there. You're not a HHOF forward scoring 70 points-a-season in the high scoring early 90s unless you have a Gainey/Bergeron/Datsyuk reputation defensively. Though the bar for the HHOF seems to get lowered all the time so perhaps he'll get in some day :rolleyes:. I would take prime early 90s Linden on my team over Housley/Andreychuk any day though.

Actually his best season points wise was in 95–96 with 80 points, then the wheels just fell off and he was shipped off in 97–98.

97–98 was the last season in VAN for all Linden, Bure, McLean, Lumme, Babych, Gelinas and Odjick.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Linden up to 95 had a great little career going on, especially as a heart-and-soul PPG guy in the playoffs, but it was hardly a HHOF trajectory even there. You're not a HHOF forward scoring 70 points-a-season in the high scoring early 90s unless you have a Gainey/Bergeron/Datsyuk reputation defensively. Though the bar for the HHOF seems to get lowered all the time so perhaps he'll get in some day :rolleyes:. I would take prime early 90s Linden on my team over Housley/Andreychuk any day though.

Actually his best season points wise was in 95–96 with 80 points, then the wheels just fell off and he was shipped off in 97–98.

97–98 was the last season in VAN for all Linden, Bure, McLean, Lumme, Babych, Gelinas and Odjick.

Agree with alot here and will add that if only the Canucks had won 5 or 6 SC he would get in over lesser player like Bob Gainey ect...

Bergeron and Datsyuk are completely different players than Gainey as they actually had stretches were they were very good to elite offensively as well.

HawkNut

Jun 12, 2017
There are so many more deserving players who played simultaneously in Linden's era.

He doesn't have 500 goals.

He never made an All Star Team.

He won a King Clancy, was Calder runner up and got one Top 10 Hart finish.

Trevor Linden is Hall of Very Good at best.

As a builder, I wouldn't put him in either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad