Why hasn't Jakub Kovar been signed?

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Philly has been searching for a starting goalie for years and may have him sitting right under their nose. Jakub Kovar has been the top goalie in the Czech league the last 2-3 seasons and lead the Czech Republic to the bronze medal at the 2012 WC, yet he's gone unsigned by the Flyers. Why is it that he hasn't been signed and is he expected to ever come over to the NHL?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He's always wanted a one-way deal, and guaranteed to not play in the AHL. Flyers haven't wanted to do that, and ELC's aren't conducive to that. If another team wanted to give him that chance, I'm sure the Flyers would oblige for a small compensation.

Bill_Meltzer

Jan 28, 2005
He's always wanted a one-way deal, and guaranteed to not play in the AHL. Flyers haven't wanted to do that, and ELC's aren't conducive to that. If another team wanted to give him that chance, I'm sure the Flyers would oblige for a small compensation.

I think you are confusing him with former Flyers prospect Roman Malek. He was the one who thought he had a ton of leverage to make demands in an NHL offer, and ended up missing his window of opportunity on an NHL career.

Kovar never said anything about not wanting to play in the AHL; as a young unproven goalie (until the last couple years) he wasn't in position to make any demands. He was a disappointment in Canadian Jnrs and Czech junior national team, went back home to Extraliga (which has been a mediocre league in recent years), and served an apprenticeship as a backup to Roman Turek. Eventually he became the starter and has become of the top goalies in that league.

No teams in KHL, much less the Flyers or other NHL teams, have been beating Kovar's door to sign him. He's extended his contract with Ceske Budejovice a couple times.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think you are confusing him with former Flyers prospect Roman Malek. He was the one who thought he had a ton of leverage to make demands in an NHL offer, and ended up missing his window of opportunity on an NHL career.

Kovar never said anything about not wanting to play in the AHL; as a young unproven goalie (until the last couple years) he wasn't in position to make any demands. He was a disappointment in Canadian Jnrs and Czech junior national team, went back home to Extraliga (which has been a mediocre league in recent years), and served an apprenticeship as a backup to Roman Turek. Eventually he became the starter and has become of the top goalies in that league.

No teams in KHL, much less the Flyers or other NHL teams, have been beating Kovar's door to sign him. He's extended his contract with Ceske Budejovice a couple times.

Yeah, I am then. Thanks, Bill.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

not true. He had offers from KHL clubs, the latest from Novokuznetsk in summer 2012 but his czech club, Ceske Budejovice (CB), wanted a lot of money (in terms of Novokuznetsk).

Flyers wanted to sign him a few years ago, but CB wanted money for releasing him (Flyers did not accept due to CBA or whatever)

He and Salak, SEL, will move to KHL/NHL sooner or later.

Bill_Meltzer

Jan 28, 2005
Flyers wanted to sign him a few years ago, but CB wanted money for releasing him (Flyers did not accept due to CBA or whatever).

Not according to Flyers. I do sort of recall reading something from Czech press that team wanted to sign him. But Flyers denied it.

RJ8812*

I don't understand how any European player, especially a young one, can demand an NHL roster spot before ever playing a game in the NHL

That would be like a recent university business graduate immediately demanding to be named the CEO of a corporation during his first job interview

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't understand how any European player, especially a young one, can demand an NHL roster spot before ever playing a game in the NHL

That would be like a recent university business graduate immediately demanding to be named the CEO of a corporation during his first job interview

It's because of money. Either their European team can pay more than an AHL salary over a two-way contract, or if they're going to make the same as they would in the AHL, they'll just stay home. There are some exceptions, obviously.

DrunkElkCZ

Apr 16, 2012
Brno, Czech Rep.
There was an article at one Czech sport site a few days ago telling that "a several NHL clubs are very interested in signing J. Kovar.". Apparently one of those clubs are Flyers.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
At what point did we/will we lose his rights? I seem to remember not being impressed with him when I watched him play junior. Late bloomer maybe but then again so was Nico

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I think the Flyers still hold his rights due to lack of an transfer agreement between the NHL with the Czech league, maybe someone more familiar with the legal aspects can confirm...

I guess sometimes a certain player is just not that interested in coming to NA, or maybe it's the Flyers organization that is not exactly famous for developing young goalies.... it's hard to imagine that with our current prospect pool they would not even invite him to training camp if he or his management asked them to (not sure if they could sign him to a PTO or anything similar?) to see what he can do.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00