Why has Canada...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
...stopped producing players like Marc Savard and even Joe Sakic?

Canada is always going to be the prime producer of top talent in the hockey world. Great players like Thornton, Lecavalier, Heatly and Nash comes around every other year but small extremly skilled centers seems very rare these days. I don´t think it has anything to do with the trapping era, small centers like LaFontain posted great stats as late as 98´. Crosby will be a exemption but all of Canadas great seems to be atleast 6´2-6´3 these days.... I doubt the averege length of the kids today is 6´3 so I wonder where all talented kids who are under 6´ goes???

The top young canadian playmaking centers that comes to my mind are Briere, Savard and Comrie and all of these players have flaws in their game and there talent level can´t be compared with the greats mentioned above...

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Ola said:
...stopped producing players like Pat LaFontain, Marc Savard and even Joe Sakic?
Canada is always going to be the prime producer of top talent in the hockey world. Great players like Thornton, Lecavalier, Heatly and Nash comes around every other year but small extremly skilled centers seems very rare these days. I don´t think it has anything to do with the trapping era, LaFontain posted great stats as late as 98´. Crosby will be a exemption but all of Canadas great seems to be atleast 6´2-6´3 these days.... I doubt the averege length of the kids today is 6´3 so I wonder where all talented kids who are under 6´ goes???

The top young canadian playmaking centers that comes to my mind are Gomez, Savard and Comrie and all of these players have flaws in their game and there talent level can´t be compared with the greats mentioned above...

I'm not sure what you're complaing about. Who cares about small, finesse centers when you can have the same skill package in a player that's twice the size (Thornton, Lecavalier etc)?

* Pat Lafontaine is American. Born in St.Louis, raised in Michigan.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Rabid Ranger said:
I'm not sure what you're complaing about. Who cares about small, finesse centers when you can have the same skill package in a player that's twice the size (Thornton, Lecavalier etc)?

* Pat Lafontaine is American. Born in St.Louis, raised in Michigan.

I wasn´t sure I was complaining?

Intensive Purposes

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
I just saw a great interview with Bob Nicholson on Sportsnet last week that would explain this.

In Canada, the leagues allow bodychecking from age 12 on. Thus, smaller players end up quitting because they don't want to get the crap beaten out of them on a weekly basis.

If you are not 6'2" by age 16, there doesn't seem to be a place for you in Canadian Minor Hockey. There are exceptions to that rule of course - but that could be a factor.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
What about Daniel Briere. Also Patrice Bergereon isn't real big either.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I don't really buy this. I mean, look at the 2005 draft. Crosby, Brule, Bertram...these are all smaller offensive players. I don't know if it was simply a cycle or what, but it seems to me like this "trend" is set to go in reverse in the very near future.

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec
The teams are looking at big players first and that is the real problem right now. I dont have a problem with big guy with talent, but they should take a look at smaller players who have tons of skills.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
RED ID0L said:
I just saw a great interview with Bob Nicholson on Sportsnet last week that would explain this.

In Canada, the leagues allow bodychecking from age 12 on. Thus, smaller players end up quitting because they don't want to get the crap beaten out of them on a weekly basis.

If you are not 6'2" by age 16, there doesn't seem to be a place for you in Canadian Minor Hockey. There are exceptions to that rule of course - but that could be a factor.

Partly right but if you look at most Midget AAA leagues barely ANY of the players are 6'02. You exageratted quite a bit.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Mike Ribeiro, Brad Richards, P-M Bouchard, Antoine Vermette, Matt Stajan, not sure if he's canadian, Scott Gomez?

Some of the guys I mentionned are over 6 feet, but don't pla a physical game, they're more playmakers

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
417 TO MTL said:
Mike Ribeiro, Brad Richards, P-M Bouchard, Antoine Vermette, Matt Stajan, not sure if he's canadian, Scott Gomez?

Some of the guys I mentionned are over 6 feet, but don't pla a physical game, they're more playmakers

Gomez isn't Canadian and only Ribeiro and Richards can be called established offensive players. But not a bad point.

Intensive Purposes

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
Partly right but if you look at most Midget AAA leagues barely ANY of the players are 6'02. You exageratted quite a bit.

You are right, I did exaggerate. I meant to mention that in the original post. But the point still remains, that as the average players get bigger - it filters out the smaller guys.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Hossa said:
Gomez isn't Canadian and only Ribeiro and Richards can be called established offensive players. But not a bad point.

Didn't think Gomez was Canadian, but the poster was asking why Canada dosen't produce these types of players, so I know that Vermette, Bouchard and Stajan aren't proven players but they are nevertheless from the Canadian system, so we do produce these types of players, but alot of these players take more time to develop (Ribeiro)

coolio123

Dec 21, 2003
After watching Hal Gill play awful in the first round against Montreal, I hope NHL scouts stop drafting extremely large players with no skill.

Canadian

Mar 1, 2002
Markham, Ontario
A Joe Sakic type, how about Stephen Weiss? I know Weiss isn't all that great right now, but give him some time and maybe he will turn into a Sakic/Yzerman replica.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Doesnt want to break anyone bubble but...

Joe Sakic is not exactly the kind of player to comes out of a Country every year... all countries included!!!!

Many good small centers and wingers have been mentionned in this thread already, but dont expect a new Sakic out of Canada every year... And if there is not one in 2 years, it doesnt mean Canada have not produced good small players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad