Why Getzlaf over Perry?

SCampo98

Dec 24, 2015
Sherbrooke, QC
I've heard some talk recently about the potential and the likelihood of Ryan Getzlaf becoming a hall-of-famer after he retires. Throughout these talks, I barely heard any mention of Corey Perry, and at face-value, it appears as though the career of Ryan Getzlaf is generally accepted as being more hall-of-fame worthy than Perry's. Am I missing something?

As far as I know they have had insanely similar careers, with both winning the 2005 WJC, 2007 Stanley Cup, 2010 Olympic Gold Medal, 2014 Olympic Gold Medal, and the 2016 World Cup of Hockey. Getlaf also has 3 all-star game appearances while Perry has 4. Get

As far as achievements one player has but not the other, Perry won the 2005 Memorial Cup, 2016 IIHF World Championship, 2010-11 Rocket Richard trophy, 2010-11 Hart Trophy, and is a 2-time first-team all-star. Getzlaf does top Perry in career points, by over 100 points. If it comes off as though I'm overly praising Perry, that's not my intention. I'm listing every acheivement of note he's had over his career in hopes of comparing them to figure out why people view Getzlaf as more hall-of-fame worthy than Perry.

Lastly, although I've heard the Getzlaf over Perry conversations lately, is it the popular opinion? Do most of you guys view Getzlaf as more hall-of-fame worthy or would you guys give that to Perry. If Getzlaf, I'd be interested in knowing why.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
They both have had similar careers at this point.

But right now, Getzlaf is producing at a good rate, while Perry is declining very quickly.

And with Vegas in the division, the bad teams of the Pacific Division are diluted a bit more (in other words, scoring will only get harder, the chance to feast on bad teams is smaller)....and I haven't seen Perry adjust.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Perry has the hardware, but Getzlafs #'s will be much better by end of career, and Getzlaf wont likely drop off as hard as perry due to play styles.

Perry could potentially get in on hardware alone, 1 hart, 1 rocket, winner at basically every level of hockey... but his stats arnt going to blow anyone away.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Because a #1 center is a more important position to fill than winger and Getzlaf is just better than Perry in every category other than goalscoring and agitation. Although, with the latter, Perry takes some god awful penalties whereas Getz does not so much.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Because a #1 center is a more important position to fill than winger and Getzlaf is just better than Perry in every category other than goalscoring and agitation. Although, with the latter, Perry takes some god awful penalties whereas Getz does not so much.
I think the reason its even a question is because perry trophy case is much more impressive... he just won at every level, won mvps at every level.. and his awards almost get him in alone if he can stay solid for the rest of his career(not likely)

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
It's one of those things where the numbers/stats and the trophies don't tell the whole story. You just have to watch them to know that Getzlaf is the better player. He has a more complete skill set and a better sense for the game. If I had to vote only one of them into the Hall of Fame, it would be Getzlaf, even though you're right in saying that Perry checks off more of the boxes.

Last edited:

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Watch both play and you will see why it's painfully obvious. Perry when he isn't scoring goals isn't doing anything anymore. Getzlaf on the other hand does a lot.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I think the reason its even a question is because perry trophy case is much more impressive... he just won at every level, won mvps at every level.. and his awards almost get him in alone if he can stay solid for the rest of his career(not likely)

Right. Yet, Getzlaf is the straw that stirs the drink. I guess you can kinda tell who does and does not watch the Ducks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Getz2perry

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Ryan Getzlaf has been the better player pretty much every single year they’ve been in the league

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Getzlaf
875 points, 917 games
.95 PPG

Perry
766 point, 957 games
.80 PPG

Getzlaf is more consistent and lasting longer regarding production at a position where it's harder to do it.
In the playoffs:

Getzlaf 0,96 ppg. 120 points in 125 games.

Perry 0,75 ppg. 89 points in 118 games.

Perry was a beast in his prime but Getzlaf was and still is close to unplayable when he is on his game. Plays center and controls the game like few players can. He has easily been the better player overall imo.

Reactions: LiasAndersson

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Getzlaf was always the better player. For once I firmly agree with Sol but I'd even say it's been like that their whole careers. Getzlaf is just far more dynamic than Perry. Off the puck, Perry doesn't do a whole lot other than antagonize the other team. Getzlaf played a complete and dominant 200 foot game despite lacking in typical "superstar" footspeed. At Perry's peak he could influence the result of a game with his goal scoring thanks to his long reach, big body, and scoring instincts. But he could never take over a game the way Getzlaf could. Ever since 2007 Anaheim has more or less lived or died based on Getxlaf's play.

He's suffered not being on the East coast and having to compete with guys like Ovi, Malkin, and Crosby. But IMO Getzlaf is one of this past generation's most underappreciated superstars and as it has been said. Few players can singlehandedly dictate the pace and flow of a game the way he can, and for my money he's still one of the best playmakers in the league.

Perry still has a case to make it, but Getzlaf has the stronger case for being the more dominant and consistent player.

Reactions: OmniCube
Oct 18, 2011
Because Getzlaf is better. Perry's MVP season was an outlier but Getzlaf has consiatently been Anaheims best player most of the last 10 yrs

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Getz kills penalties, plays tough, can move the puck, is a great passer, and shoots the puck well. He's grown into his role very well.
His hard minutes and I would argue, overuse, have hurt him at the end of many seasons, but he is far and away our best player.

Perry's Hart season was amazing, and he was even better when Getz was hurt. He deserved it for sure. But he's always been a Bambi on skates and his recent leg injuries have made his skating worse if that is possible. He sees the ice well, and will be a good secondary guy if he works at it, but his contract will be tough on the Ducks I believe, and I actually was ok with it.

Not sure either is a Hall of Famer but very good, and thankful they were Ducks

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Getzlaf has been a better playoff performer. Getzlaf is a center. Getzlaf has been better overall as evident by better career numbers. The only thing Perry has on Getzlaf is being a better goal scorer and the 2010-11 season in which he won a Rocket and Hart. Take those two trophies away and no one would ever say Perry is a better. Oh and Perry play has dropped off already while Getzlaf hasn't. Getzlaf > Perry

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Besides two seasons Getzlaf has been a significantly better player than Perry. Getzlaf has put the Ducks on his back so many seasons where without him they would have done nothing. Not only that but Perry's Hart run was fuelled by Getzlaf coming back from injury in 2011, going on an absolutely tear right as Getzlaf came back into the lineup.

Getzlaf also has a significantly better playoff resume.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
In the playoffs I knew they were good but I was like..meh, we can beat them. Then Getz torched us. Then he torched us again.

Corey perry was good, but he always seemed like a bit of a liability when he wasn't on fire. Getzlaf scares the shit out of me when he's on the ice. He's what I want to see draisaitl become....And I hate the ducks

Trophies are a good base but in this case they don't tell the whole story. Many players have won a one-off Ross etc.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
In the playoffs I knew they were good but I was like..meh, we can beat them. Then Getz torched us. Then he torched us again.

Corey perry was good, but he always seemed like a bit of a liability when he wasn't on fire. Getzlaf scares the **** out of me when he's on the ice. He's what I want to see draisaitl become....And I hate the ducks

Trophies are a good base but in this case they don't tell the whole story. Many players have won a one-off Ross etc.

Yeah the only reason Perry has the Hart while Getzlaf doesn’t is because in their respective best years Perry was competing with Daniel Sedin where as Getzlaf was competing with a healthy Crosby.

Reactions: North Cole

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
that's what happens when you look at stupid trophies instead of, you know, the actual game.

if awards were a perfect reflection of on-ice play then yeah, we could look at trophies, but that's far from the reality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad