Why Gardiner over Rielly on the PP?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Gardiner and Rielly are together on the 2nd PP unit now.

Which is just unfair to the rest of the teams, especially since Dion-Franson are one of the best in the league to start with.

Our PP is going to be stellar this year.

DaveT83*

Gardner being given every opportunity to turn things around - at least were winning.

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
If he sticks with the Leafs, we should see his PP TOI increase as the season progresses. Gardiner has had the benefit of working with the Leafs' special teams coaching staff for a while now, which likely makes Carlyle more comfortable using him.

As for Ranger, I don't mind him on the PP asides from the fact that he's pretty weak at keeping the puck in the zone. Hopefully it's just an adjustment period for him returning to the league.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Fine with:

Phaneuf - Franson
Gardiner - Ranger

(hey, it's been working)

Would like this:

Phaneuf - Franson
Rielly - Gardiner

(This was what we did last game and I'd suspect the next game or two will be the same as it was 2 for 3)

Would love this:

Rielly/Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly/Gardiner - Franson

(Carlyle seems to love having two defensemen with good hard shots on the same unite though so I don't think it'll happen... if it does, most likely Gardiner is on the first pairing as Rielly won't be given 1st unit PP duties for a while)

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Carlyle is simply easing him into the lineup....

Yup, it's exactly this. For a guy playing his first games in the NHL, you want to keep it simple, make it so he only has to think about his even strength play.

On the PP you have another system with different breakouts, different offensive zone plays, and just a new set of things to learn and be aware of. He'll get more PP time as he settles in, it's already happening. And eventually he'll get PK time too.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
better question is why ranger over both, our pp D should be dion, franson, rielly and gardiner

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I still don't understand why Carlyle keeps giving Gardiner the minutes over Morgan on the PP... Jake looks completely lost out there this year and I know they may want to be showcasing him, but I think it is holding the Leafs back from being more productive...

Also, remember everyone laughing at Burke when he said he would've take Rielly over Nail in the draft... How is that looking so far? Yes it is way to early to determine the outcome of who the better pick was, but would anyone truly complain if the draft was tomorrow and the order was reversed?

Kid is a stud!

Maybe he values a PP that's operating at 33% over some people's desire to be able to brag about what a stud our 5 game veteran is.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Carlyle is definitely trying to play the crap out of Gardiner to help him find a bit of form and confidence.

Problem is Gardiner probably delivered his worst game as a Leaf against the Wild. He looks a shell of the player that used to dominate & be so fun to watch under Ron Wilson.

It can only get better from here for Gardiner

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Relax. Rielly > Gardiner, I've got zero doubt about that but why change a good thing on the PP?

We're scoring PP goals at a good rate right now...Don't mess up a good thing.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Do you guys not watch the games?

Rielly has already replaced ranger on the 2nd pp unit.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He already has.

Last game PP time:

Phaneuf 2:35
Franson 2:15

Gardiner 2:00
Rielly 1:42

Ranger 0:11
Gunnar 0:01

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I still don't understand why Carlyle keeps giving Gardiner the minutes over Morgan on the PP... Jake looks completely lost out there this year and I know they may want to be showcasing him, but I think it is holding the Leafs back from being more productive...

Also, remember everyone laughing at Burke when he said he would've take Rielly over Nail in the draft... How is that looking so far? Yes it is way to early to determine the outcome of who the better pick was, but would anyone truly complain if the draft was tomorrow and the order was reversed?

Kid is a stud!

because gardiner is going in the yakupov deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad