Why don't we hand out regular season awards before the playoffs start?

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
It kinda becomes hard to care about who the regular season award winner's are after the champion of the playoffs has already diverted all of our attention away, even last year when my own team's player won the MVP it really wasn't all that exciting. Wouldn't it make more sense to just hand out all those regular season awards upon conclusion of the regular season?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They need something for in-between the finals and the draft. Theres only so much prospect talk you can have.

The NBA used to announce their winners during the playoffs but finally had an awards show last year for the first time. Its the best way to do it & interact with the fans.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
It would make sense to do it before or after playoffs either way. But I think it's a nice way to wrap up the whole season alone.

I see it as that anyway, and then the NHL Entry Draft happens welcoming more prospects to the NHL and the big trades happen prior to free-agency. Although, some see it as the Entry Draft just ends the whole season. The politics of the NHL make it all-so complicated.

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
They need something for in-between the finals and the draft. Theres only so much prospect talk you can have.

The NBA used to announce their winners during the playoffs but finally had an awards show last year for the first time. Its the best way to do it & interact with the fans.
Most NBA fans hate that they're doing that, check the NBA subreddit that's their complaint of the week

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Most NBA fans hate that they're doing that, check the NBA subreddit that's their complaint of the week

I never really watch the NHL award show but it's a pretty inoffensive concept. Having a little party & speeches in a theater to present MVP awards? Fill in a bit of off-season programming while you're at it.

Really don't know how people can get so worked up into an active dislike for them.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario

Yeah but many fans think it just sucks because no one gives a shit about it now

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
During the 2013 playoffs which was the same season as the 48 game schedule because of the lockout, the awards were given the players during the playoffs. I'm honestly asking did anyone like that better than having an actual awards show?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad