Why don't The Coyotes just play games outdoors in Jan and Feb at Sun Devil Stadium for more revenue?

beenhereandthere

Jan 30, 2012
Evergray State
Maybe it's been mentioned already but I'm not about to search through x amount of posts to find it.

I think the players and fans would love it. Night weather around that time of year is for hockey pretty much perfect, around 45-50 degrees.

And of course, you'd be able to draw more fans and money.

Back in The 90s, The Sonics and Raptors both moved games to other larger Baseball/Football Stadiums for High Profile Opponents while a new arena was being built, or the current one was just too small for, say in The Sonics's case, when The Lakers or Bulls came to town. So there is precedent.

Of course it would not be a permament solution but could keep The Team there beyond 25-26, when they have the option to renew The Mullett Lease and buy more time for a permament solution.

I've heard rumblings on The Mesa idea, but seems to me that that's still at least until 2027. But why not as early as next year? Same Landlord, just a different place of the same campus? Pretty sure the Mullett Lease could be reworked.

I don't know about every game in January or Feburary at Sun Devil Stadium (didn't include December because I think that Stadium hosts a Bowl Game, which could be moved to Chase Field though if they wanted to), but the weekend games? Why not? Come March? Yea, it would probably be too warm to do it, even at night.

My guess? Uncle Buttman thinks it would take away from the Stadium Series, Heritage Classic and Winter Classic vibe, which it wouldn't. Plus, he's tried everything else to save The Coyotes. Why not this?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Maybe it's been mentioned already but I'm not about to search through x amount of posts to find it.

I think the players and fans would love it. Night weather around that time of year is for hockey pretty much perfect, around 45-50 degrees.

And of course, you'd be able to draw more fans and money.

Back in The 90s, The Sonics and Raptors both moved games to other larger Baseball/Football Stadiums for High Profile Opponents while a new arena was being built, or the current one was just too small for, say in The Sonics's case, when The Lakers or Bulls came to town. So there is precedent.

Of course it would not be a permament solution but could keep The Team there beyond 25-26, when they have the option to renew The Mullett Lease and buy more time for a permament solution.

I've heard rumblings on The Mesa idea, but seems to me that that's still at least until 2027. But why not as early as next year? Same Landlord, just a different place of the same campus? Pretty sure the Mullett Lease could be reworked.

I don't know about every game in January or Feburary at Sun Devil Stadium (didn't include December because I think that Stadium hosts a Bowl Game, which could be moved to Chase Field though if they wanted to), but the weekend games? Why not? Come March? Yea, it would probably be too warm to do it, even at night.

My guess? Uncle Buttman thinks it would take away from the Stadium Series, Heritage Classic and Winter Classic vibe, which it wouldn't. Plus, he's tried everything else to save The Coyotes. Why not this?
I love when we get tourists. I’m sure we can get 70,000 people on a Tuesday against Nashville no problem. If u have ever been to a outdoor game u would know the actual view sucks. I mean it is an awful fan experience.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Maintaining an ice rink outside when it’s 104 degrees outside (like yesterday) would be a real challenge.

The NHL and Coyotes did consider Chase Field at one point be aide it can be enclosed and has a high end A/C system….. but the logistics of going from baseball to ice hockey is too much.

beenhereandthere

Jan 30, 2012
Evergray State
Maintaining an ice rink outside when it’s 104 degrees outside (like yesterday) would be a real challenge.

The NHL and Coyotes did consider Chase Field at one point be aide it can be enclosed and has a high end A/C system….. but the logistics of going from baseball to ice hockey is too much.
If you read what I wrote, of course it would not be during those months. Strictly using SDS from Jan to Feb could work. The near 65-70 days could be challenge but again night weather in the high 40s, low 50s is pretty much perfect for it.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
If you read what I wrote, of course it would not be during those months. Strictly using SDS from Jan to Feb could work. The near 65-70 days could be challenge but again night weather in the high 40s, low 50s is pretty much perfect for it.

There’s been talk of an outdoor stadium series game and ASU’s stadium would be a preferred site for it.

But you wouldn’t see it happen until they can get a permanent arena settled.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Meruelo, Gutierrez, Montano, Sakiewicz and Carpenter should be spending 100% of their time getting us a permanent arena secured, planned and built.

Every two weeks, one of them needs to pause that for, like, an hour and cut all the employees paychecks.

That one person should immediately go back to spending 100% of their time getting us a permanent arena secured, planned and built.

If Xavier Gutierrez has to leave work early on a Wednesday afternoon for a dentist appointment, he needs to bring an intern with him to hold his cellphone above the dentist chair and allow him to read emails and check real estate prices on Zillow while getting his teeth checked.

Gimmicks are fun, but anything that distracts from getting a new, permanent arena secured, planned and built is a waste of time while the team is at the Mullett.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Step 1: Build a winning culture that lasts for a decade +.

Step 2: Build a new arena with an entertainment district (where the real money is) that props up the team financially, through good and bad times.

Step 3: Enjoy more profit and finally, a stable NHL franchise in AZ.

Nothing else matters. At all.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’ve been on e. I have zero desire to go to one again. Froze my ass off.
Well, dumb Canadians and Americans still pack the place for these stupid outdoor games. I have no idea why or how they still draw so many fans to these games.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Well, dumb Canadians and Americans still pack the place for these stupid outdoor games. I have no idea why or how they still draw so many fans to these games.
there's a reason they don't do 3 game homestands all outdoors. If you oversaturate then people will stop coming and paying a premium for "the experience" and instead will want value for what they are paying. Which outdoors is usually a very slow, dull, chip the puck up the ice low scoring affair.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
there's a reason they don't do 3 game homestands all outdoors. If you oversaturate then people will stop coming and paying a premium for "the experience" and instead will want value for what they are paying. Which outdoors is usually a very slow, dull, chip the puck up the ice low scoring affair.
I don't follow where the outdoors games are being played, but haven't there been some at the same city more than once and they still pack the place?

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I've been to a UCONN game when all they had was an outdoor stadium. Sure beats watching football!

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Well I know that, but they still pack the place, do they not?
which is easier to do when they go multiple years apart. Edmonton is 20 years later for example. Boston has had a few but they are smart enough to change the venue from baseball stadium to football stadium to make it different. Same with Chicago. There's a marketing angle to this. Setting up a regular season schedule at ASU is good for a one off. If you try to go for 3 months straight it will lose favor very quickly. That's the point and I don't think you grow the game the way you want to with what is a horrible fan viewing experience for 90% of people in attendance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matias Maccete

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
If you look at the temperature of the Winter Classic vs the temperature in Phoenix at the time you’ll find it was just as cold or colder than the WC.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Maybe they can just do an outdoor game near Sedona or Flagstaff, but without fans like the Lake Tahoe games. You pick some pretty site that can host the rink with scenic views and market it for TV for that. Perhaps do it in the next season or two while we're still in the small arena so the TV rights can at least make up the difference in the lost ticket revenue. Obviously they can put out a new jersey, which they seem to be good at, so it could be a net positive even without fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00