Why don't kids and teenagers use neck guards anymore?

javorka

Sep 9, 2006
They're not here in Quebec

Alberta, either. At least not for younger players. Mandatory or not, though, by the time the kids are playing hit hockey (or at least Bantam when the kids are really developing some strength and power) I think they should be wearing them.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
a neck guard is about the most uncomfortable thing to ever wear besides a wool sweater. i hated every second wearing one and i never had a problem with not wearing one in high school and juniors.

I agree that almost every one is very uncomfortable. I did not wear one as a youth but as an adult it was more important to prevent injury. I have to be able to go to work and support my family.

I had purchased several different goalie throat protectors but couldnt take wearing one for more than about 10 minutes. Heat retention and that tight choke feeling were too much. That changed when I bought the maltese neck guard. For the out player or goalie, It is one of the last pieces I remove after a game. IT can be frozen(does not harden) prior to play and once around the neck, you dont even notice its there. The combos and slash guards protect against BOTH skate cut and puck impact.

I took a puck at around 65mph into the front of my throat. Dropped me, sucking for wind for about 45 seconds but I recovered and finished the game. Not a bruise or even sore the next day. I purchased my youngest a slash guard when he was 9. 2" high collar and 16" neck diameter. HE still wears the same one now at 13-14 and will prob fit for at least another 2 seasons. The price tag is much more than the BNQ's for the out player but your getting a product that offeres outstanding protection.

droller*

has anyone seen or heard of a neck guard saving a life? looking back at my minor hockey neck guard i don't think it would have done much. it was a simple piece of nylon that wrapped around my neck.. no bib or anything like that. If someone was to actually step on my neck, I'm sure the skate blade would have gone up or down and cut my neck anyway. This neckguard had the "hammer" on it which meant it was approved for hockey. Believe it was made by itech.

Has anyone seen some of the new age neck guards? I think they provide less protection than the old ones. The new age ones I speak of are apart of the under armor like shirt that players wear. Its a very small piece that protects about half the neck and it has that hammer on it.. meaning it's approved.

Must agree.. neck guards are very uncomfortable. With a helmet on such as a bauer 5000, my head would get very hot and my body heat would come out through my neck (one of my few exposed areas). with a neck guard on i was very warm. I was very happy to drop the neck guard once I began playing junior.

As for US players having mouth guards manditory... I wore one for a season in minor hockey and found it hard to breathe with a cage as well. Without a cage, they're fine though.

Nosebleed Section

Nov 1, 2006
In Alberta your only recquired to wear mouth guards if you play AA+. Mouth Guards will prevent waaaay more accidents then a neck guard ever will.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
When I last played, six years ago, they were absolutely, no questions asked, mandatory at my rink.

Now, at that same rink most of my players don't wear them and get away scot-free. Lucky.

I agree with every criticism here on neck guards, they make the area under the throat unbearable and distracting.

I always rolled mine up or folded it over to make them as small as possible, but still technically have it on.

XweekendwarriorX

Jul 19, 2007
Buffalo,NY
Would you rather have your jugular sliced?

As for mouthguards, they are required for junior hockey in Canada. They also must be coloured so the referee can tell you have one on the ice.

Ill take my chances im 6'3 and not once has a skate come close to my face let alone above my stomach. i been hit lots of times with sticksaround the neck but not that 99% of people dont use wood i really dont have to worry about a splinter or really anything that high.

Stripes

Oct 9, 2007
They can't be red.

The Hockey Canada rulebook doesn't even say mouthguards have to be coloured. All the rulebook says is that mouthguards are required for any level of hockey allowing half-visors, but they are optional in senior hockey.

The rules on colour are up to each individual league and association, so you can't just say that mouthguards cannot be red. I have seen plenty of red mouthguards in my 10 years of officiating.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Every game in high school I played they were manditory. Not required in college, though. Man I don't miss wearing one of those. Mine would fall off pretty much every shift.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
has anyone seen or heard of a neck guard saving a life? looking back at my minor hockey neck guard i don't think it would have done much. it was a simple piece of nylon that wrapped around my neck.. no bib or anything like that. If someone was to actually step on my neck, I'm sure the skate blade would have gone up or down and cut my neck anyway.

Yes, my own youngest son(goalie). Earlier in this thread I post about the event. I firmly believe it saved his life.

One of the aspects of the design is to not be a hard plate. The soft materials design allows the guard to "catch" the runner. It will allow the runner to slide along the length of the runner in a slicing motion. Once there is significant pressure against the guard it prevents the runner from sliding laterally, off the guard. What the guard will do is move with hte runner in any lateral force direction.

Goalies who use just the dangler and believe they are protected from skate cut are very mistaken. The dangler will direct the runner into the neck and shoulder area while the runner will slide off its edge into soft tissue.

Here is a photo from yesterdays game...

This goalie was just inches from a major skate cut and doesnt realize how close he came to a trip to the hospital. When the player fell and the skate came free of the goalies arm, the skate runner passed less than 2 inches from his exposed neck. At the time the goalies head was turned to face the camera. The dangler simply lifted away. These close calls happen in almost every single game played in US and Can. Youth hockey.

DSCF7394.jpg

Last edited:

OilerNut*

Was playing last night, and got grazed by a stick in the throat. That was pretty scary.

Dangler87

Nov 14, 2007
I can remember like it was yesterday when I was watching the team win their championship game and one of the forwards jumped into the pile and someones leg and skate was in the air, and so luckily, the kid who was jumping in, jerked his head back so his throat didn't get cut, but got both his forearms sliced. I'm not saying that it's lucky that he got his arms sliced, but it's better than a throat, and he's alive right now, doing well.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I don't know how some of you come off saying you'd rather get your juggy sliced open than wearing a neck guard :shakehead

Unless you have someone who has some first aid training, you are as good as dead if your juggy is sliced while playing a game like hockey (your blood is already pumping fast, which means more blood loss).

I'm coming up on my 2nd year of playing, and will be investing in a good, comfortable neck guard soon. I've never come close to an accident, but thats irrelevant. Better to be preventative, imo. I think its probably one of the most important pieces of equipment to own. Your neck is one of the most vital areas on your body, and skate blades are SHARP. No sense in leaving this area exposed.

Can anyone recommend a good, comfortable neck guard? I don't care about the price.

Thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad