Why don't kids and teenagers use neck guards anymore?

supaman

Jan 21, 2007
Edmonton, usually
I've been playing goal since I was 6. I'm almost 23. Neck gaurds aren't that effective. I've been in countless scrums in front of the net. One guys skate actually got caught on the guard. I've taken pucks off my collarbone with and without a guard. The guard leaves you with a severe choking sensation. The plastic guard I personally don't like either. Where I play its not manatory for goalies.
IMO, players need to be taught control. Both with sticks and their feet. The kids I coach are taught that if they fall to the ice that they should always be aware of where their feet are and to never raise their feet in the air.

Concussions are a far bigger problem. A thing i've noticed is that hockey is majorly missing the respect for other players. Players aren't taught that anymore. Its all about finishing your checks and doing whatever it takes to win, regardless of the persons.

Stripes

Oct 9, 2007
Hockey Canada has mandated neck guards for almost 20 years.

I've been playing goal since I was 6. I'm almost 23. Neck gaurds aren't that effective. I've been in countless scrums in front of the net. One guys skate actually got caught on the guard. I've taken pucks off my collarbone with and without a guard. The guard leaves you with a severe choking sensation. The plastic guard I personally don't like either. Where I play its not manatory for goalies.
IMO, players need to be taught control. Both with sticks and their feet. The kids I coach are taught that if they fall to the ice that they should always be aware of where their feet are and to never raise their feet in the air.

If you play hockey, you would know that kind of control over your feet isn't always possible.

If your neck guard leaves you with a "severe choking sensation", you aren't wearing it properly.

If a skate got caught on your guard, it was effective as without it, you'd have been cut.

supaman

Jan 21, 2007
Edmonton, usually
If you play hockey, you would know that kind of control over your feet isn't always possible.

If your neck guard leaves you with a "severe choking sensation", you aren't wearing it properly.

If a skate got caught on your guard, it was effective as without it, you'd have been cut.

You're right, that kinda control on the feet isn't always possible. At least to an extent. But there should be no reason your skate should be 5 or 6 feet in the air. Besides a lack of control.

The severe choking sensation was after taking a puck off the throat/collarbone. I also took a shot with out it and didn't feel like I was choking. It still hurt alot, but less choke.

Theorettically(sp?) it stopped me from getting cut, but the resulting kick to the mask was pretty bad. Because the guys skate was caught, he tried to get it free but ended up kicking me in the jaw with the toe of the skate. Not the actual blade but the boot. But I do get your point.

Stripes

Oct 9, 2007
The severe choking sensation was after taking a puck off the throat/collarbone. I also took a shot with out it and didn't feel like I was choking. It still hurt alot, but less choke.

That all depends on how, where and how hard the puck hits you. It has nothing to do with a neck guard.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
that would depend on what neck guard your wearing. It has MUCH to do with it. Wearing the standard player slash guard is much less protetive that a maltese hockey gel product or any of the more rigid goalie throat/clav protectors.

Supa, I fully understand where your coming from. I have played the position for almost 5 decades now. In the early eighties I began trying to wear the throat protection coming out for the goalie. I purchased at least 10 different products over the course of the next several years. I couldnt stand them. The choke feeling, the heat retention...could never wear one more than 10 minutes. Then i found hte Maltese GEL Products. Custom made to your measure, no heat retention and the absolute best protection you can get for both skate cut and pck impact.

www.maltesehockey.com

Last edited:

Jeffw-13

Mar 23, 2006
I remember when USA hockey decided to stop mandating neck guards. Their concern was that it actually acts as a guide to the skate blade and made injuries more severe.

In other words the blade ran along the edge of the guard.

Analyzer*

The next guard isn't meant to stop pucks:S

If you feel a choking sensation, it's because you either have one too small, or you're not use to it. Just like skates, put it on and wear it around your house. You may look funny, but you'll get use to it.

javorka

Sep 9, 2006
.... A thing i've noticed is that hockey is majorly missing the respect for other players. Players aren't taught that anymore. Its all about finishing your checks and doing whatever it takes to win, regardless of the persons.

So let me put this out there - if players didn't wear any equipment, would that bring back respect? It seems to me that players are much more agressive now than they used to be because they feel so well protected themselves. If you knew it was going to hurt when someone shot you in the head (shin, arm, whatever...) with a puck, wouldn't you be less likely to carelessly shoot the puck at some one else? Watch any shinny game and you'll see that's true.
It will never become the norm in competitive hockey, I'm just saying....

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
You're right, that kinda control on the feet isn't always possible. At least to an extent. But there should be no reason your skate should be 5 or 6 feet in the air. Besides a lack of control.

Well did you see Ollie Jokinen? I'm sure he's got plenty of control being an NHL'r but he got hit low and got flipped up, can't control stuff like that.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
I remember when USA hockey decided to stop mandating neck guards. Their concern was that it actually acts as a guide to the skate blade and made injuries more severe.

In other words the blade ran along the edge of the guard.

USA has never mandated a neck guard. The current debate about instituting such a mandate is what standard do you apply how is it tested and how does the gear become certified. I am also sure that the cost factors are also being reviewed. BNK certification would be an annual thing for a maker and is over $10,000US. At this time, there is no organization nor test house that performs this function such as Hockey Canada.

While the lexan dangler for the goal can guide the skate blade into the neck area, a BNK certified kneck guard or padded/gel fabric covered will trap the blade into a 1 axis movement, much like a sawing motion. To receive a BNK cert. the guard must "trap" the blade and not promote lateral slide once a min amount of downward force is applied. It must also withstand cut through from a specific number of passes of a well ground skate with a specific amount of foot/lbs applied.

Other than the Maltese gel (player and goalie) or other goalie throat protectors, none offer more than a dubious amount of protection from puck or other blunt force. While the maltese hockey site states GOALTENDING in its slogan, His (phil Maltese) mission is of a much wider scope. He has been lobbying the USA Hockey organization for several years about the need for a mandate.

Yes, it would impact his revenue generation in the states on the major plus side Maltese would also incure the cost of this new certification process that would have to be established. With Phil where youth hockey is concerned it(revenue) is secondary to the safety of all our youth players, world wide. Just one life taken in playing the game due to a preventable incident is to high of a cost for USA to be so derelict in their leadership role.

The best you can do is to e-mail your local USA hockey reps to pester them about this important issue. I know of no USA sanctioned youth league that does not mandate them. This is not to include High School hockey. These games are not USA qualifiers. Why cant USA simply do the same but increase the certification to include blunt force protections as well, and make it a point of focus.

XweekendwarriorX

Jul 19, 2007
Buffalo,NY
Did I just read you say that slashing the back of the legs and ankles is more serious than protecting your neck?

The two major incidents in the NHL didn't result in fatalities because of the medical staff who are there to respond immediately. In minor hockey and recreational rinks, there is usually no medical staff around. If that happens at an amateur game, the chances of such an accident causing death go through the roof. Why would you want to take the risk?

Also, the only recent incident you mention is the reference to Zednik's accident. The day before that, linesman Pat Dapuzzo had his nose broken by a skate and needed 60 stitches to close the wound. The day after Zednik, Ethan Moreau took a skate only millimeters from his eye. That's three significant incidents in three days, and thankfully, only one was career/life threatening.

Those didnt cut the neck did they? necks getting sliced happened twice in all the years of the NHL from what i can remember. skates get up and cut people in the face more than people think thats why they wear visors. theres more injuries that happen in the game and can be life threatning than a cut neck in the course of a game. yeah its scary to think what if it does happen but thats the risk you take when ever yo go to play the game. you can easily take a shot off the head and die or a skate in the neck. necks getting slashed open and people dieing have been isolated if any that other injuries from the ksate should be looked at more.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
Also, the only recent incident you mention is the reference to Zednik's accident. The day before that, linesman Pat Dapuzzo had his nose broken by a skate and needed 60 stitches to close the wound. The day after Zednik, Ethan Moreau took a skate only millimeters from his eye. That's three significant incidents in three days, and thankfully, only one was career/life threatening.

And, from what opinions I've seen, none could have been prevented from neckguards, even Zednick's injury.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
So here's my neck guard story.

We went and played a tournament last weekend and neckguards are not mandetory, but I wear one "just in case."

Well I drove to the net and ended up at the bottom of a scrum. I kept trying to break free and their goalie and defenseman were trying to cover the puck (I think.)

I finally come out of the pile and the ref goes "14, your neck guard is off." He grabs it and lo and behold, there's a GIANT slash across it.

It was one of those itech kevlar ones. So I rip off my helmet and my neck is bleeding, like if a guy cut himself while shaving. Just a nick.

So essentially, I got my neck stepped on/sliced, but because I was wearing the neckguard all I have is a bandaid on my neck.

frito

Jan 27, 2007
Cincinnati
USA has never mandated a neck guard.

Actually, USA Hockey required neck guards up until four - five years ago. The reason they quit mandating them is that many people considered it a piece of gear comparable to shoulder pads, elbow pads etc vs. similar to an undergarment. In oher words, many players would just throw the neck guard in the hockey bag after the practice/game vs. tossing it in the wash with the undergarments. They found kids were getting skin infections on their necks from this and changed the rule from required to strongly encourage (and oh by he way, wash it.)

My kids wear them every practice and game. They don't even think about not wearing it.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
you can buy those itech/under amour shirts that have a built in approved neck guard that are WAY more comfortable than the normal neck guard.
yes in canada neck guards are mandetory and as far as i know mouth guards as well for minor hockey.
junior neckguards are optional.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
you can buy those itech/under amour shirts that have a built in approved neck guard that are WAY more comfortable than the normal neck guard.
yes in canada neck guards are mandetory and as far as i know mouth guards as well for minor hockey.
junior neckguards are optional.

Full visors but not mouth guards.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
Actually, USA Hockey required neck guards up until four - five years ago. The reason they quit mandating them is that many people considered it a piece of gear comparable to shoulder pads, elbow pads etc vs. similar to an undergarment. In oher words, many players would just throw the neck guard in the hockey bag after the practice/game vs. tossing it in the wash with the undergarments. They found kids were getting skin infections on their necks from this and changed the rule from required to strongly encourage (and oh by he way, wash it.)

My kids wear them every practice and game. They don't even think about not wearing it.

That is not correct. It may have been your association that mandated them and then reversed. USA Hockey has never mandated the neckguard because there is a lack of an established testing/certification process. USA hockey still continues to investigate the needs for establishing this process and what requirements for the neck guard should be in place. Canadian hockey has had the BNK for a long time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad