Why doesn't Hamilton have an OHL Team?

hockeyniagara

Sep 9, 2013
Toronto (usually)
What's old is new?

Been a few months since this has seen a post. With the rumors swirling around a pending sale and move for the Plymouth Whalers, could it be that Hamilton is indeed the destination. Nice to see the city have two teams using the Copps rink.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If the Habs ever move the Bulldogs out of Copps, which is the rumor with them eventually moving them into the Montreal area following the Leafs/Marlies model, then the logical move is for Hamilton to try and get an OHL team.

I think with the right ownership group and fan support, this could instantly become a "have" team in the OHL. You wouldn't have to sell out the place, but it could have attendance figures comparable to Kit, Lon & Win. That, coupled with its ideal geographical location which would be a selling feature for prospective players, should mean a winning team. A team people want to go watch.

The last time this city had a decent OHL team was the Steelhawks (cool name!) in the mid-80's. The Dukes were a laughing sock the whole time they were there and IMO, the lack of fan support for that team shouldn't be a reason why the OHL wouldn't work there.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Been a few months since this has seen a post. With the rumors swirling around a pending sale and move for the Plymouth Whalers, could it be that Hamilton is indeed the destination. Nice to see the city have two teams using the Copps rink.

Those rumors appear to be unfounded. Plymouth is most likely staying put, for now.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
If the Habs ever move the Bulldogs out of Copps, which is the rumor with them eventually moving them into the Montreal area following the Leafs/Marlies model, then the logical move is for Hamilton to try and get an OHL team.

I think with the right ownership group and fan support, this could instantly become a "have" team in the OHL. You wouldn't have to sell out the place, but it could have attendance figures comparable to Kit, Lon & Win. That, coupled with its ideal geographical location which would be a selling feature for prospective players, should mean a winning team. A team people want to go watch.

The last time this city had a decent OHL team was the Steelhawks (cool name!) in the mid-80's. The Dukes were a laughing sock the whole time they were there and IMO, the lack of fan support for that team shouldn't be a reason why the OHL wouldn't work there.

Thats what people said about Brampton and Mississauga and it really did not end up what many thought it would be.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
In the North I think Timmins could potentially support an OHL team but likely not to happen. I think Brantford could support a team as well. Arenas are obviously an issue. I think the league should try and go back and try places like Cornwall and New Market again and maybe try Burlington as well. I would love to see Thunder Bay as well. Travel issues might arise but look how spread out the WHL is.

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
In the North I think Timmins could potentially support an OHL team but likely not to happen. I think Brantford could support a team as well. Arenas are obviously an issue. I think the league should try and go back and try places like Cornwall and New Market again and maybe try Burlington as well. I would love to see Thunder Bay as well. Travel issues might arise but look how spread out the WHL is.

Rockland could be a good spot with there new rink which i think seats around 3000 another spot could be Pembroke.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
If the Bulldogs were to move I would strongly consider the OHL in Hamilton.

If not Hamilton, another city I would consider would be Burlington. (Although they have the cougars and i'm not sure what their biggest arena is)

Burlington would need a new arena. Mainway and Central are not even close to being OHL ready, but in all honesty it would be another GTA fiasco.

Hamilton has the population, but no one likes going to that part of town if they don't have to.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Almost any new location will come with a lot questions.
Not sure if there is any other viable OHL hockey markets out there (Canada or USA) looking for a franchise!

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
Let the rumors begin again... It was repoeted today that Jets farm team will move to Manitoba and Hamilton AHL will mvoe to St. Johns which brings up the following info from the link that shows OHL could be coming to Hamilton

As for Hamilton, it is widely believed an Ontario Hockey League team will ultimately land at FirstOntario Centre. Rumours have been swirling in Erie that Andlauer is about to buy the Otters which have been for sale for some time and whose owner, Sherry Bassin, is motivated to sell.

Bassin is presently being sued for $4.5 million by the owners of the Edmonton Oilers who loaned him the money with a plan to eventually buy the team and move it here, court documents filed in Pennsylvania show.

However, Bassin flatly denies there's anything to the rumours that he's about to sell to Andlauer.

"I've had no negotiations with him," he said Saturday.

Andlauer has long said that he will have a hockey team playing out of the downtown arena, whether it's AHL or OHL. And he's insisted that it will be called the Hamilton Bulldogs. He owns the franchise, the brand and the arena lease.

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/5465396-bulldogs-may-be-leaving-hamilton-report/

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I am tired of this rumor stuff. It is widely reported that at least 12 parties are interested in the Otters. They will not be going anywhere. Hamilton is a graveyard for any type of hockey. Erie has one of the best arenas in the OHL, the 5th best attendance (close to 3rd), and it would be a PR disaster for the OHL to leave Pennsylvania. Give it a rest, will ya?

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Let the rumors begin again... It was repoeted today that Jets farm team will move to Manitoba and Hamilton AHL will mvoe to St. Johns which brings up the following info from the link that shows OHL could be coming to Hamilton

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/5465396-bulldogs-may-be-leaving-hamilton-report/

Considering that Andlauer is a partner in the Canadiens I doubt the Canadiens pulled their AHL team before he has something in place for the lease he has in Hamilton.

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
I am tired of this rumor stuff. It is widely reported that at least 12 parties are interested in the Otters. They will not be going anywhere. Hamilton is a graveyard for any type of hockey. Erie has one of the best arenas in the OHL, the 5th best attendance (close to 3rd), and it would be a PR disaster for the OHL to leave Pennsylvania. Give it a rest, will ya?

I didnt mean it as a way to put rumors for Erie i just ment it as a thing that maybe Hamilton might get their OHL team

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre

While I dont disagree on your other points since when have there been "at least 12 parties" interested in the Otters?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
While I dont disagree on your other points since when have there been "at least 12 parties" interested in the Otters?

Victor Fernandes, Otters beat writer, wrote an article last week reporting that at least 12 parties had inquired about buying the Otters.

HF_Rangers

Jan 16, 2004
Winston-Salem, NC
http://www.goerie.com/eries-mccormick-interested-in-buying-otters

Here's the article in question. I never expected McCormick to be interested but if he's willing to take losses with the BayHawks and take on the Otters... by all means. He's got deep pockets. Dual ownership of basketball and hockey franchises has worked on a larger scale (San Antonio and Cleveland) and I think he'd be the best bet to own the team and keep it in Erie for a long time. :handclap:

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
This is what I think will happen in terms of expansion.

2017)Cornwall/Hamilton
2020)Burlington/Watertown

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
With Erie out who would be the other possibilities of other oHL teams moving?

it would be sad to see them move, but i think Belleville is becoming more of a reality... I don't think they can continue operating in the same building for to much longer.

Tonester01

Sep 30, 2012
it would be sad to see them move, but i think Belleville is becoming more of a reality... I don't think they can continue operating in the same building for to much longer.

Attendance has been poor in Belleville. No new arena in sight either. Doesn't look promising in Belleville. Many think team will be gone after next year.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
This is what I think will happen in terms of expansion.

2017)Cornwall/Hamilton
2020)Burlington/Watertown

I hope there isn't any expansion. I don't care that the WHL has 22 teams with way less population base.

20 teams is a nice number. More teams means a schedule that would be spread thinner in terms of how often teams get into your building. I'm all for playing your top rivals as often as possible.

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
so lets say 2 different Secenarios happen?

option a) if Missy moves to Hamilton who would their rivals be? Niagara? i would say Missy as #2 but since they arent moving then they wouldnt be there..

option b) if it is belleville the same question above asks who would their rivals be?

the dog

May 16, 2014
so lets say 2 different Secenarios happen?

option a) if Missy moves to Hamilton who would their rivals be? Niagara? i would say Missy as #2 but since they arent moving then they wouldnt be there..

option b) if it is belleville the same question above asks who would their rivals be?
yes Belleville has poor attendance...but owners have arena issues renovate or build a new arena.................

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad