Why doesn’t NHL broadcast LIVE the draft lottery number draws?

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
I feel the league can get more engagement by releasing all the number combinations for each team and basically get each fan base to track along if their ‘numbers’ get called LIVE, like a real jackpot lottery draw

They obviously film this ahead of time and make it available for transparency but the long drawn out countdown of the pre-flight results is just lame and boring. This would be super exciting as everyone finds out live on the spot

So in summary: just do whatever you’re doing in the video below but do it LIVE and release those number combos. Thoughts?

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
They used to do that every year, the only year anyone ever watched was the first year when it was the Crosby drawing. After that, the ratings were beat out by replays of paint drying in 1987.
Nope the actual lottery drawing has never been shown live. The actual(boring) drawing is usually released to the public shortly after the winner is announced, at least since the McDavid lottery.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
They could do it live, but the current way probably works well enough for the casual viewers. Every year the main board reminds me that some people still think there are ping pong balls with team logos on it.

And on the flip side, how much more exciting would it be? They draw 10-8-1-4, Bettman looks at the Ernst and Young guy who flips through the pages of combinations to tell him who won.

I suppose it'd be easy enough to have a computer program to show which teams were still "alive" after the third ball and what each team needs the fourth ball to be in order to win. But that might be too much for the average viewer to understand. I remember reading after a drawing from the Devils rep who was in the room in 2019 that the drawing happens so quickly that he didn't have time to process what the fourth ball needed to be for New Jersey to win.

Perhaps of minor concern is if the team that won the first draw also won the second draw which would result in a redraw.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
I feel the league can get more engagement by releasing all the number combinations for each team and basically get each fan base to track along if their ‘numbers’ get called LIVE, like a real jackpot lottery draw

They obviously film this ahead of time and make it available for transparency but the long drawn out countdown of the pre-flight results is just lame and boring. This would be super exciting as everyone finds out live on the spot

So in summary: just do whatever you’re doing in the video below but do it LIVE and release those number combos. Thoughts?

Harder to fix on live tv

Reactions: SensHulk

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I suppose it'd be easy enough to have a computer program to show which teams were still "alive" after the third ball and what each team needs the fourth ball to be in order to win. But that might be too much for the average viewer to understand. I remember reading after a drawing from the Devils rep who was in the room in 2019 that the drawing happens so quickly that he didn't have time to process what the fourth ball needed to be for New Jersey to win.
This. I guess to be really dramatic they could do the 1st drawing, showing who still had a chance to win after the 3rd ball, then stop and do interviews with a couple of the GMs of the still eligible teams and get their thoughts, go to a few of the really high draft picks and say what would you think about being drafted by _____? and ...... it would all be so contrived and people would bitch about it and there would be 987 posts of DRAW THE GODDAMN 4TH BALL ALREADY!

And, it still wouldn't stop people from claiming it was fixed because I wasn't able to watch the machine the entire time, how do we know they didn't swap balls out / weight all but the winning one down / [other outlandish claim about how this gets fixed]? Because, "obviously" all the GMs are in on the fix and they've been threatened to shut up about it, and they sit and watch idly as the representatives from Ernst & Young stand idly by while someone the league hired out comes in and puts the fix in to get the desired result.

Perhaps of minor concern is if the team that won the first draw also won the second draw which would result in a redraw.
That happened one of the years, where one of the drawing has to be redone multiple times to finally get someone who hadn't won a prior drawing. They announce it's a redraw, but the balls back into the machine, do it again, see what combination comes out.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
No, that's the beauty of the conspiracy. So many people have to be in the know and no one ever says anything, and some of these decisions are literally worth tens of millions of dollars but all the other owners are OK with not getting it because .... look, if I have to explain how this conspiracy works, you're never going to understand it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad