Why does Tretiak speak Russian in some interviews?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
For example I've seen quite a few interviews with him where he spoke English, and not too bad English either, I mean you can surely understand him at least. But if there ever is a video about the '72 Series you always hear him speaking Russian with the english voice being dubbed in. I've always thought that was weird. We all know he can speak good english. Is this a way of making the "Soviets" still seem mysterious? I dont know why the do it that way

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
For example I've seen quite a few interviews with him where he spoke English, and not too bad English either, I mean you can surely understand him at least. But if there ever is a video about the '72 Series you always hear him speaking Russian with the english voice being dubbed in. I've always thought that was weird. We all know he can speak good english. Is this a way of making the "Soviets" still seem mysterious? I dont know why the do it that way

Because he was 19 and didn't know english, right ? :help:

The Goaltending Guru

Oct 25, 2007
Grand Rapids, MI

Ummm, just a wild guess here, but maybe because Russian is his first language? :shakehead

supaman

Jan 21, 2007
Edmonton, usually
Alot of his early interviews were in russian. Because he IS Russian. Back then, he only really spoke russian. Nothing wrong with him speaking in his first language.

Murphy7

Drop the puck
Jan 25, 2008
Является ли этот год? -- Alex Ovechkin

(Is this the year?)

Augustus Pablo

May 17, 2007
Internet
I think I know what the OP was talking about, and the interview is not when he was young. I agree with the other posters though, the guy is just speaking his own language.

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
I found two Vladislav Tretiak on youtube. One is from 1983, and he speaks Russian and it is translated. The translator isn't particularly good. The second is from 1994, and Tretiak speaks English to HNIC's Ron MacLean much better than the translator spoke in 1983.

Big Phil, do you know of an example of Tretiak speaking English well before he retired as a player in 1983?

Augustus Pablo

May 17, 2007
Internet
I found two Vladislav Tretiak on youtube. One is from 1983, and he speaks Russian and it is translated. The translator isn't particularly good. The second is from 1994, and Tretiak speaks English to HNIC's Ron MacLean much better than the translator spoke in 1983.

Big Phil, do you know of an example of Tretiak speaking English well before he retired as a player in 1983?

The summit series dvd interviews were made very recently. Tretiak spoke about them through a translator on one of the documentaries for the series dvd.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

No, not off by hand. But the examples I was thinking about were these: In 1996 Tretiak was part of a video collection we all may remember called: "Legends of Hockey." One of the videos featured his era, and he was interviewed. Obviously it was a Canadian video so he spoke English and not too bad either.

In 1992 and 1997 there are videos about the '72 Series. One is called "September 1972" and the other is one I cant remember. Anyways it is another Canadian made video, and I guess you assume that Tretiak is speaking to a Canadian (maybe he isnt). But I just remember thinking "hey I wonder why he isnt speaking English and why they NEED to translate for him." That's all, just curious

Analyzer*

Maybe during those interviews he felt a bit nervous? I know, it sounds odd, but just in the past worlds, Bernier spoke French to reporters, when he speaks perfectly English.

Sometimes it feels better to speak in your native language, which is what I'm doing right now and soon hope to make French my 2nd and somewhat decent at it too and Russian, my mediocre 3rd :P

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
The summit series dvd interviews were made very recently. Tretiak spoke about them through a translator on one of the documentaries for the series dvd.
In 1992 and 1997 there are videos about the '72 Series. One is called "September 1972" and the other is one I cant remember. Anyways it is another Canadian made video, and I guess you assume that Tretiak is speaking to a Canadian (maybe he isnt). But I just remember thinking "hey I wonder why he isnt speaking English and why they NEED to translate for him." That's all, just curious
Even if the video itself is released by a Canadian company, that company could possibly have used some Russian file footage.

Here is an example using Wayne Gretzky. Let's say that TSN wants to release a DVD on Gretzky's career. They might pay a licensing fee to CBC for some interview that was shot in 1983 by CBC.

It could be a similar case, only with a Canadian company getting a license to use the interview originally done in Russia in the Russian language.

Augustus Pablo

May 17, 2007
Internet
Even if the video itself is released by a Canadian company, that company could possibly have used some Russian file footage.

Here is an example using Wayne Gretzky. Let's say that TSN wants to release a DVD on Gretzky's career. They might pay a licensing fee to CBC for some interview that was shot in 1983 by CBC.

It could be a similar case, only with a Canadian company getting a license to use the interview originally done in Russia in the Russian language.

I don't think that's the case considering I remember somewhere hearing that they went and interviewed some of the Russian players specifically for this dvd set. Could be wrong though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad