Why does the NHL have so many more siblings than the other major sports leagues?

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
If were to believe those numbers, which you might not. Thats only Americans. And the 300 siblings hockey siblings was world wide.

The American football number isn't likely to get higher if you add other countries. The hockey number is likely to triple at least once you add in Sweden, Finland, Russia, Canada, etc.

So maybe closer to 1-5? not sure. It gets tough especially when you add in "what constitutes registered" USA Hockey and Hockey Canada register everyone from a 1st year mite in a house league to this guy, while I believe the European countries largely only register "competitive" hockey players.

And who knows what that football number means.

That’s just the US statistics. They play American football in a lot of other countries.

Currently, from what I found online, there are about 1,650,000 hockey players worldwide.

Ice hockey players per country worldwide 2017/18 | Statistic

So there are currently almost 4x’s more American football players just here in the US.

In terms of worldwide players playing American football, I can’t find an accurate number. It’s safe to assume that it crushes the numbers of hockey.

So football has many more people playing the game which would make it extremely more difficult for people to make the professional level.

Currently, there are 18 sets of brothers in the NHL.

Once again, I can’t find an accurate number but I could name at least 12 sets of brothers in the NFL.

Conclusion, hockey is not a special circumstance with siblings making it to the professional level. Nor does cost of the sport have something to do with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad