Why Does the Media Ignore the Habs?

HabFanInLeafLand

Jan 28, 2014
ON
Of course, I'm speaking primarily of anglophones, I assume most hockey news in Quebec revolves around the Habs.

After seeing the big 3 hockey insiders, McKenzie, LeBrun, Dreger, get absolutely blind sided by the Vanek trade news, and then watching the panel being absolutely speechless about it, I got to thinking, there is a huge disconnect here.

The TSN boys, supposedly the best in the business, first of all had no wind of this trade going down. Either they have absolutely no ties with the Montreal Canadiens or Bergevin held his cards tight to his chest, the latter is the more likely scenario so I can cut them some slack there. Secondly, the panel had nothing to say about what Vanek adds to the lineup, possible line combinations, depth charts, etc. They were caught flat-footed, none of them knew enough about the Habs existence to actually discuss anything worthwhile.

Then they literally spent more time talking about Toronto doing nothing than Montreal getting one of, if not the biggest, fish at the deadline.

I chalked that one under "Toronto-based media bias" and moved on. Then I watched a thriller of a game between the Habs and the Ducks, the league's best team, where Dustin Tokarski earned his first win in an extended shootout. Checked www.nhl.com in the morning to catch up on highlights around the league, and noticed nothing on the homepage about it.

Right now, March 6, 7:20 p.m. Vanek's Montreal debut against the Coyotes is nowhere to be seen on the homepage. Obviously, the retiring of #5 in Detroit and the return of Stamkos in addition to the debut of Callahan for the Bolts overshadow the Vanek story, but to not mention it at all? Ridiculous.

Why does everyone hate Montreal?

/Rant

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
because they don't make money talking about the Habs to Leafs fans.

The n00b King

Kingin' since 2003
Feb 10, 2008
Singapore
The look on Ferraro's face was priceless. He literally couldn't contain himself from his bewilderment.

But then he had nothing but good things to say about it, so that was nice.

But ya these guys were SHOCKED that the Habs did anything of worth. This could also be it though. The habs have only concluded like 17 major trades since 1980. So these guys just don't feel the need to focus on them.

I mean how many of you WEREN'T shocked that we got Vanek? And for peanuts!

They were probably wondering why Burke didn't offer something. He was probably too busy untying his tie and yelling at the tv...

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
TSN = Toronto Sports Network

Ted Bird had a great one-liner this am on twitter, TSN goes looked like there dog died when the trade was announced - or something like that

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Explains the first half of the rant about media in the Toronto area, but not the fact that the NHL's official website doesn't discuss them either.

There's an article right there titled "Canadiens pull off bold trade to land Vanek". The reason there's nothing on the 5 sliders is because the Habs don't play until 9 PM. There's nothing about any of the games that start after 7:30.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
TSN = Toronto Sports Network

Ted Bird had a great one-liner this am on twitter, TSN goes looked like there dog died when the trade was announced - or something like that

The montreal media shouldn't talk. 3 questions on the conference call was embarrassing.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I don't know, I don't think TSN is ignoring the Habs.

I think there is a misconception due to the fact that we are used to the Franco medias talking about the Habs non stop.

HabFanInLeafLand

Jan 28, 2014
ON
There's an article right there titled "Canadiens pull off bold trade to land Vanek". The reason there's nothing on the 5 sliders is because the Habs don't play until 9 PM. There's nothing about any of the games that start after 7:30.

I suppose that's logical.

Then again there was the fact that this morning none of the big 5 stories had anything about Tokarski getting his first win on the road against the league's best team, and best home record, in their barn in an extended shootout. Shootouts suck, but they try to sell them so you'd think they would have made it a big deal.

I'm going to keep a closer eye on the big stories to see if they actually acknowledge Montreal.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Because they spent their whole Montreal segment in the morning talking about the Habs lack of size on the wing.

Now they gotta find another problem with the Habs lineup.

But seriously, imagine if Toronto landed Vanek?

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Because they spent their whole Montreal segment in the morning talking about the Habs lack of size on the wing.

Toronto a cup contender?
Will the drought end?
Boston no longer a threat says *insert former Toronto player or Executive or even Nonis*

I think those would have been discussed nonstop on TSN and Sportsnet.

HabFanInLeafLand

Jan 28, 2014
ON

Heads would have exploded.

Reactions would have been funnier than they were with the discovery of Vanek to Montreal.

HabFanInLeafLand

Jan 28, 2014
ON
I guess I probably should have made it clearer in the title that my bone to pick with TSN was a small one, as they try to pride themselves on being objective and covering all Canadian teams, not just Toronto, although there is clearly a Toronto bias.

But my biggest issue is with the NHL's website, where the Habs get no real recognition.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
I don't know, but the TSN panel's reaction to the Vanek trade was funny to watch :laugh:
They had that "Oh Crap!" look for a while for sure. I think they were just not expecting it. To be fair neither did I or anybody else here for that matter. The Habs are to blame when was the last time did the team actually did anything at the deadline.

Plante

Devils Advocate
May 12, 2010
Anahim Lake
thesoapbar.ca
Not really a big deal? Anyone who watches the team knows how to get information on them. I haven't found lack of media coverage to be a problem, and I live in BC.

HabFanInLeafLand

Jan 28, 2014
ON
Not really a big deal? Anyone who watches the team knows how to get information on them. I haven't found lack of media coverage to be a problem, and I live in BC.

I don't really care, I just find it weird the NHL shuns it's most successful franchise.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
The insiders from TSN have never really been that connected with the Habs trade wise at least.

I think guys like Renaud Lavoie, Louis Jean etc have good insight there and for the team news Montreal Gazette's Pat Hickey, Dave Stubbs and Mike Boone are great.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $370.00