Why does the backup goalie sometimes write on a clip board?

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
Have seen this occasionally, including the game tonight in toronto. Curtis Mcelhinney is the backup and I keep seeing him write things down on a clip board he is holding. What could he be writing?

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
Pretty sure the coach has them keep track of some in game stats that might come in handy. Face-off success for the night and stuff like that.
I could be wrong though

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
Pretty sure the coach has them keep track of some in game stats that might come in handy. Face-off success for the night and stuff like that.
I could be wrong though

i think this is correct. They count shots too i think.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I could be wrong though

For me, I will sometimes ask my backup goalie to track certain things...shot locations, points off pads/potential points off pads, entries for and/or against, plus/minus, etc.

Yup.

Todd McClellan has his goalies do this. He had the Sharks backups always doing this, I'm sure he's got the Edmonton backup doing the same.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Yup.

Todd McClellan has his goalies do this. He had the Sharks backups always doing this, I'm sure he's got the Edmonton backup doing the same.

Most teams have statisticians and radio communications with the booth.

James Duthie

Kadri is 3 Hunna
May 1, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Buffalo Feed said he was counting faceoff wins, and he put them on a sticky then gives it to Babcock so that he can see who to put on ice for the faceoff zone.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Working on the New York Times crossword. Nothing better to do.

Edit: Side note...Babcock regularly steals the finished product and claims it for his own to look smart.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Goalies keeping track of statistics by hand seems pretty pointless these days. I bet they just doodle, goalies are odd people.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
He was trying to figure the age old question. Can Superman outrun The Flash?

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Goalies keeping track of statistics by hand seems pretty pointless these days. I bet they just doodle, goalies are odd people.

Yes, pretty pointless when you can have the NHL Event Summary with many other stats on a tablet.
But it would make sense for stats which are not tracked by the NHL.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Have seen this occasionally, including the game tonight in toronto. Curtis Mcelhinney is the backup and I keep seeing him write things down on a clip board he is holding. What could he be writing?

It was brought up on the Buffalo feed for that game. He was tracking faceoffs.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
They're secretly aliens and writing their plans to colonize the planet by promoting hockey, science, and benevolence? But the coaches are secret agents preventing these good aliens from advancing our planet? Who knows...

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Theories on who Supreme Leader Snoke could be

Didn't you know that Saros is from the planet Finpremacy where the average resident although shorter than the average human is far more intelligent and powerful. Due to their extreme advancement, they are benevolent aliens who wish to make the universe a better place, but Laviolette the secret FBI agent is preventing him from making the Earth a better place as that means less power for the elites. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad