Why does Sweden fail so much?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
World Cup 96, loss against Canada in semifinal.

Olympics 98, loss against Finland in qf.

Olympics 2002, loss against Belarus in qf.

World Cup 2004, loss against Czech in qf.

Olympics 2010, loss against Slovakia in qf.

Olympics 2014, loss against Canada in final.

World Cup 2016, loss against Team Eu in semifinal.

How is it possible to fail so often with so good teams?

My take on it, is that Sweden is playing to non-physical and with to little energy.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Swedish players are never as good on the national team as in the NHL (these days). Not sure if it is the system or lack of passion for the national team.

Finns are the exact opposite.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Apart from Canada, what nation has done better? An Olympic gold and silver since 98 is a hell of a lot better than what e.g Russia has managed.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

My take on it, is that Sweden is playing to non-physical and with to little energy.

Canada is just a lot better most of the time. In fact, I fear international hockey is becoming less competitive because of Canada's dominance.

XO

Nov 4, 2009
Yet Sweden have the 2nd most gold medals since the 90s

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Because like all other non-American nations, they are merely a farm team to the NHL without a real identity of their own.

XO

Nov 4, 2009
Lousy coaching

it is actual for Russia, too

Well that's a fact, but I don't know how you can look back back and say Sweden have failed anyway. 2nd most gold medals since the 90s including 2 Olympic Golds and that's while having fewer registered hocey players than even Finland and Czech by a lot.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Failing by what standards? I don't consider making the finals at the Olympics or losing in the semi finals during this tournament failing. At what point are people gong to admit that other teams are no longer collapsing and that Team Europe actually outperforming their expectations?

I don't see Sweden as failing at all. I think they put together a decent team and have a promising future.

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
International hockey is becoming less competitive because of Canada's dominance.

It sure has. Canada has been steamrolling every country for years now. They would do easily even better if they would sent better teams to the World Championships. Canada is far and way better than any other country. Its unfair man :laugh:

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
The only thing embarrassing on Sweden's resume is the Belarus loss in 2002.

It's not like any non-Canada country has done appreciably better.

The loss against a dead Slovakia team made up by many khl players is embarassing.

Mar 11, 2013
QC
Anything can happen in a best of 1, they're just unlucky. I can't take international hockey seriously, especially one like the World Cup.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

Because you overvalue your own team. If they were a good team they would beat their opponents.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Grönborg choosed to many grinders.

Team should have looked like this.

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson
Forsberg - Bäckström - Johansson
Nyquist - Rask - Zibanejad
Hagelin - Söderberg - Silfverberg

And Klingberg for D.

And Markstrom instead of Lundqvist.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
This is not tangible or anything, but I find that Swedish teams don't have a great mentality. They kind of play the same way regardless of what is happening. Not the killer instinct to put teams away, and not a lot of push back when trailing. Canada and Russia do a much better job in this regard. Just an observation.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Looking at how Sweden was coached and the systems in use, it seemed as if they were trying to cover for a weak defense by demanding more from solid two-way forwards. Not exactly ideal when you have world class defense and a sub-par forward group.

With guys like Karlsson, Hedman and OEL, you want to give them as many opportunities as possible to assert themselves on the game while your forwards adapt and cover for them. Instead our guys were asked to play it safe and not take chances until they get back pressure, which is essentially just making the D-mans ability less of a factor by reliance on team play.

Canada does something similar, but it makes sense for them because their great defense can just give stability for their extremely strong forward group. Sweden needed our defense to be a difference maker, and coaching made it a non-factor instead.

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
This is not tangible or anything, but I find that Swedish teams don't have a great mentality. They kind of play the same way regardless of what is happening. Not the killer instinct to put teams away, and not a lot of push back when trailing. Canada and Russia do a much better job in this regard. Just an observation.
Yea the difference between now and then really is more our defense than tactics. There are loads of games where we took the lead and just tried to coast to the finish line. This time it worked thanks to defense, but the playeres were far from well utilized.
Team Sweden needs a brilliant goal scorer who can push the pace to really excell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad