Why does OV always get disrespected by the "flavor of the year"

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Ovechkin always has his critics, but he even gets disrespected in his biggest strength. Goal Scoring. Everybody will always talk down on OV for what i like to call the "flavor of the year". Fans will always talk down on OV for his rival goal scorer. It happened with guys like Rick Nash, Perry, Kane, Stamkos, Benn, Tavares, and recently Laine. I understand people having their favorites, but why do people always trash OV to hype up the "flavor of the year".

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Dude is pretty unanimously considered the greatest goal scorer of his generation, and is talked about as the greatest goal scorer of all time. Whatever disrespect you are imagining is in your own head.
I just gave examples. Those players either get passed by OV or decline the next season or both. Meanwhile a new player steps up and the cycle repeats.

Reactions: Drakon

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Talks down about him? Nope. People use him as the gold standard for goal scorers in the modern era and compare others to him.....that's total respect given to ov.

this

ovechkin was my favorite player til laine got drafted by Winnipeg

he still is one of my favourite players tho

as much as I would like laine to win the rocket. i got no problem with ov to do it again

he deserves to be recognized as one of the greatest(if not the greatest) goal scorers of all time

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
For whatever reason, if they decidedly don't like a player or if a player doesn't play for their own team -- some fans just don't want to actually give a great player much credit at all and they will do whatever mental gymnastics it takes to avoid it.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
No one talks down on him...Ovechkin is the only guy that has scored 50+ goals in the last little while. He's a special goalscorer. One of the best ever and definitely miles ahead of any of his colleagues.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
this

ovechkin was my favorite player til laine got drafted by Winnipeg

he still is one of my favourite players tho

as much as I would like laine to win the rocket. i got no problem with ov to do it again

he deserves to be recognized as one of the greatest(if not the greatest) goal scorers of all time

That’s cool. Same with me ovie was my fav player until recently once leafs got matthews/ marner but since ovie is differ type of player than both I like them all equally lol. Laine is just a beast ovechkin 2.0

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Ovechkin always has his critics, but he even gets disrespected in his biggest strength. Goal Scoring. Everybody will always talk down on OV for what i like to call the "flavor of the year". Fans will always talk down on OV for his rival goal scorer. It happened with guys like Rick Nash, Perry, Kane, Stamkos, Benn, Tavares, and recently Laine. I understand people having their favorites, but why do people always trash OV to hype up the "flavor of the year".

Rick Nash has literally never been hyped up as better than Ovechkin at any point. Never happened. Stamkos has a 60 goal season on his resume and will probably end up with over 600 goals when it's all said and done. Benn was playing a better overall game than OV for 2-3 seasons. Kane had his monster season.

And still, everyone will admit that OV is the greatest goal scorer of his generation, and arguably all time. This talking down on OV is mostly false.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Benn ? Hyped up for being a goal scorer ? I think you're re-writing history there.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The media has always been racist against Russians and I'm not even talking politics. They just hate the way they train and play hockey, but it seems to be getting better now.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I just gave examples. Those players either get passed by OV or decline the next season or both. Meanwhile a new player steps up and the cycle repeats.

Other than Stamkos, who had staying power as an all time great goalscorer himself for a few years, and now Laine, which is mostly based on projection for a 19 year old, I don't think any of those players had any serious discussion as being a better goalscorer

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Benn ? Hyped up for being a goal scorer ? I think you're re-writing history there.
Benn was in the goal scoring race in 15-16 race along with Kane and OV. Not saying people don't think OV is a great goal scorer. But i do wonder why all of a sudden when someone is in a race with OV, all of a sudden OV is getting trashed to hype up the other player in the race.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
When you do something over and over with such efficiency and....awesomeness it becomes less newsworthy and creates less conversation. If somebody new comes along and does something similar...it's news.

So....if you always got perfect grades it's not that newsworthy when you come home with another A+. When your younger brother does it for the first time...it's talked about.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017

It is a simple homerism. Canada is the center of hockey universe. If Ovechkin were a Canadian, he would be considered as undisputed best player in history.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
Everybody will always talk down on OV for what i like to call the "flavor of the year". Fans will always talk down on OV for his rival goal scorer.

for anybody that has trouble understanding what the op means with "flavor of the year" i guess its the argument in a player comparison where you "up" an ability while at the same time "down" it on the other player. the goal is to create a large gap between the skill/dominance. could be wrong tho....

it does not only happen to ovechkin... if u read some hot topics around this board, u are going to notice it happens to everybody. half of mcdavid vs matthews posts are like that. so it has nothing to do with ovy more with the limited ability to make arguments. if some1 uses "flavor of the year" it just means he set up his mind but has no argument to offer. i guess u can go ahead and ignore those arguments, because it will be very hard to convince them since they probably discuss the topic more on a emotional level.

Last edited:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Benn was in the goal scoring race in 15-16 race along with Kane and OV. Not saying people don't think OV is a great goal scorer. But i do wonder why all of a sudden when someone is in a race with OV, all of a sudden OV is getting trashed to hype up the other player in the race.

Can you provide examples of Ovechkin "getting trashed."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad