Why does our management recall players just to sit them in the pressbox?

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
There was a quote from I think Willie where he said something along the lines of how call ups like these are good because you want the players to get a "taste" and to "want" to be an NHLer.

Yeah, pretty much all hockey professionals aspire to play in the AHL and ECHL before they got a taste of the NHL pressbox.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There was a quote from I think Willie where he said something along the lines of how call ups like these are good because you want the players to get a "taste" and to "want" to be an NHLer.

So the message to players busting their butt in Utica has changed......used to be, "Play well and you'll be called up for your shot at the NHL"...now it's become, "Play well in Utica and you'll get a prime seat in the pressbox at Rogers Arena and an NHL paycheck to boot, so at least you can afford inflated prices for popcorn and beer."....why just look at Biega....called up six times before they gave him a real shot.:handclap:

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Because water is wet and this isn't a unique thing to the Canucks organization. Literally every team does the same thing.

but in our case the players being called up and put in the pressbox are better than some of the regulars. every team does not do this stupid ****.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Earning a call up is a reward on most (all) teams except us, where it's just an okay seat to watch and a few extra bucks.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
So you would prefer if the Canucks kept 12 forwards, 6 defencemen, and 2 goalies on the roster? And play a man short if there's a game day injury?

Prospects should be playing. If you don't intend to play them in the NHL, keep an Ebbet/Tambellini type on the roster for spot duty.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
*unless it's Linden Vey, in which case he will be played on the power play and over more interesting prospects like Grenier.

it's pretty unique how he regained his teacher's pet status immediately upon being recalled, unlike every other call-up within the organization

even biega had to literally try to beat someone up to have somebody recognize 'hey, that guy might be good enough to be a regular nhl player'

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
to soak in the dorsett and prust of course. do you want your young players playing and developing, or do you want them around dorsett and prust getting mentored to within an inch of their lives?

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Earning a call up is a reward on most (all) teams except us, where it's just an okay seat to watch and a few extra bucks.

Notwithstanding some posts on here, all teams call up players to fill in when injuries hit, including calling players up to set in the pressbox as depth players in case of emergency. Further, most NHL coaches will tend to play veterans, who made the team and have been practising with the team during the season, ahead of a callup.

However, I have little doubt that it is worse that way with the Canucks than with most teams. I won't go into what other reasons there are other than to say I think the coach's favouring veterans will be common. WD might be even slower to trust youngsters than many other coaches, but I think things would be similar in that respect with most coaches.

The travel time between the Canucks and their AHL affiliate is perhaps longer than that for any other team in the league. The Canucks can't get someone in on an emergency basis on very short notice.

Compare that with the Sharks, Jets and Leafs (AHL affiliate is in the same city) and many teams where the affiliate is within a couple of hours drive. I think only Vancouver, Florida, Arizona, Tampa Bay, Nashville, Colorado, Edmonton and Calgary have any sort of real distance to their AHL affiliates and only Arizona is in a similar position to the Canucks being three time zones away.

If the Canucks are down to 12 forwards or 6 d-men two or three days before a game, they need to recall someone in case a player goes down the day of the game. If the Leafs are down to 12 forwards or 6 d-men on a short-term basis, they likely don't need to recall a player at all-they just wait and do it if the emergency actually happens.

I've got one other comment about the “reward” part of the quoted post and similar points made by other posters.

While not criticizing management (at least in this post_I've been critical of some moves in other posts or in other places but that isn't my point here) for individual player decisions, it would be hard for Comets players not to notice that the road to becoming a Canuck regular has not included an extended stay in Utica.

When the Canucks broke training camp in October, there were 14 players who had made the team who were not with the Canucks in 2013-14. That's about a 60% turnover.

None of those 14 new players were regulars with the Utica Comets in 2013-14.

Two players were regulars with the Comets in 2014-15, Markstrom (who arrived in the system via trade in 2014) and Baertschi (who arrived in the system via trade in 2015.)

Such notable prospects have included Clendening (traded), Ericksson (who was pushed down the depth chart from #3 in the system to #4 goalie in the system when Miller was signed and who returned to Europe this past summer,) Cannata (AHL in 2013-14, demoted to ECHL in 2014-15, back to AHL for 2015-16,) Biega (waived to the Comets in training camp,) Corrado (waived to that most famous minor league team, the Toronto Maple Leafs,) Jensen (formerly the #1 forward prospect in the sytem, career stagnated and hardly considered a prospect at all any more.)

Of the two who made it in training camp this past October, Baertschi had only played 15 regular season games plus the playoffs for the Comets after coming over in a trade. His stop in Utica wasn't a lengthy one. That leaves Markstrom, who had played quite a bit in the NHL before being traded to the Canucks.

Again, this post is not to criticize the Canucks for their players moves. Many were clearcut, some are easily defendable and virtually all can be defended somewhat. While there are many player moves I've been critical of, that isn't my point here, which is simply that Comets regulars have seen a major turnover in the team and that turnover has been done pretty much exclusively without players who were regulars on the Comets. In reality, that is mostly due to the weakness of the Canucks' prospect pool a couple of years ago-but it's impossible to believe that Comets players haven't noticed the changes and that they weren't coming by way of promotion from the Comets.

Hopefully the optics of that will change soon as Biega may well stick with the team for the rest of this season and players such as Pedan, Gaunce, Grenier and Shinkaruk get their chances to make the team for next season, maybe earlier if Benning moves anybody for picks at or before the trade deadline.

Given the management has indicated the intention to make the playoffs, I really hope that if the Canucks are going to miss the playoffs this season it becomes clear before the trade deadline.

Last edited:

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Most of the time these players come up they miss 0-2 games of AHL action. They get rewarded for their play, it shows that they're being noticed. I don't mind it at all... I'm thinking players should be working really hard to get that call up, that's a big cash bonus.

chis

Mar 24, 2015
it's pretty unique how he regained his teacher's pet status immediately upon being recalled, unlike every other call-up within the organization

even biega had to literally try to beat someone up to have somebody recognize 'hey, that guy might be good enough to be a regular nhl player'

This.

Willy always talks about accountability but as an outsider I don't see much of it. "Veterans" (players he knows for a while) are not being held accountable. It's been proven time and time during his tenure here.
This makes it tough for new players to get a spot. Unless the management forces his hand you will need to be lucky to get into that circle of trust. As bad as it sounds, you almost need to hope for injuries. See Biega, Markstrom and Baertschi for example.

It just boggles my mind how can you be so stubborn and blind. WD is far from the only one guilty of this. It's a hockey disease.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Prospects should be playing. If you don't intend to play them in the NHL, keep an Ebbet/Tambellini type on the roster for spot duty.

hmmm, the problem with this is the cap ... and it really limits what u can do. In fact, so some extent the Canucks did this, but the injury bug depleted the line up. And if you have those sort of players in the AHL, they are vulnerable to waivers.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Notwithstanding some posts on here, all teams call up players to fill in when injuries hit, including calling players up to set in the pressbox as depth players in case of emergency. Further, most NHL coaches will tend to play veterans, who made the team and have been practising with the team during the season, ahead of a callup.

However, I have little doubt that it is worse that way with the Canucks than with most teams. I won't go into what other reasons there are other than to say I think the coach's favouring veterans will be common. WD might be even slower to trust youngsters than many other coaches, but I think things would be similar in that respect with most coaches.

The travel time between the Canucks and their AHL affiliate is perhaps longer than that for any other team in the league. The Canucks can't get someone in on an emergency basis on very short notice.

Compare that with the Sharks, Jets and Leafs (AHL affiliate is in the same city) and many teams where the affiliate is within a couple of hours drive. I think only Vancouver, Florida, Arizona, Tampa Bay, Nashville, Colorado, Edmonton and Calgary have any sort of real distance to their AHL affiliates and only Arizona is in a similar position to the Canucks being three time zones away.

If the Canucks are down to 12 forwards or 6 d-men two or three days before a game, they need to recall someone in case a player goes down the day of the game. If the Leafs are down to 12 forwards or 6 d-men on a short-term basis, they likely don't need to recall a player at all-they just wait and do it if the emergency actually happens.

I've got one other comment about the “reward†part of the quoted post and similar points made by other posters.

While not criticizing management (at least in this post_I've been critical of some moves in other posts or in other places but that isn't my point here) for individual player decisions, it would be hard for Comets players not to notice that the road to becoming a Canuck regular has not included an extended stay in Utica.

When the Canucks broke training camp in October, there were 14 players who had made the team who were not with the Canucks in 2013-14. That's about a 60% turnover.

None of those 14 new players were regulars with the Utica Comets in 2013-14.

Two players were regulars with the Comets in 2014-15, Markstrom (who arrived in the system via trade in 2014) and Baertschi (who arrived in the system via trade in 2015.)

Such notable prospects have included Clendening (traded), Ericksson (who was pushed down the depth chart from #3 in the system to #4 goalie in the system when Miller was signed and who returned to Europe this past summer,) Cannata (AHL in 2013-14, demoted to ECHL in 2014-15, back to AHL for 2015-16,) Biega (waived to the Comets in training camp,) Corrado (waived to that most famous minor league team, the Toronto Maple Leafs,) Jensen (formerly the #1 forward prospect in the sytem, career stagnated and hardly considered a prospect at all any more.)

Of the two who made it in training camp this past October, Baertschi had only played 15 regular season games plus the playoffs for the Comets after coming over in a trade. His stop in Utica wasn't a lengthy one. That leaves Markstrom, who had played quite a bit in the NHL before being traded to the Canucks.

Again, this post is not to criticize the Canucks for their players moves. Many were clearcut, some are easily defendable and virtually all can be defended somewhat. While there are many player moves I've been critical of, that isn't my point here, which is simply that Comets regulars have seen a major turnover in the team and that turnover has been done pretty much exclusively without players who were regulars on the Comets. In reality, that is mostly due to the weakness of the Canucks' prospect pool a couple of years ago-but it's impossible to believe that Comets players haven't noticed the changes and that they weren't coming by way of promotion from the Comets.

Hopefully the optics of that will change soon as Biega may well stick with the team for the rest of this season and players such as Pedan, Gaunce, Grenier and Shinkaruk get their chances to make the team for next season, maybe earlier if Benning moves anybody for picks at or before the trade deadline.

Given the management has indicated the intention to make the playoffs, I really hope that if the Canucks are going to miss the playoffs this season it becomes clear before the trade deadline.

These 2 couldn't return. Both were waiver eligible, and no way either would make to the AHL.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

We essentially had two of those coming into camp, Vey and Cracknell. One got outearned for his roster spot by a couple or teenagers and the other earned a spot himself. In case you hadn't noticed though, we have too many injuries that our 13th and 14th forwards are our 11th and 12th forwards now. It would be dumb to not have a single spare forward with the team, or to trade for a scrap player just so that are precious little prospects don't have to sit in the press box for one game.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This.

Willy always talks about accountability but as an outsider I don't see much of it. "Veterans" (players he knows for a while) are not being held accountable. It's been proven time and time during his tenure here.
This makes it tough for new players to get a spot. Unless the management forces his hand you will need to be lucky to get into that circle of trust. As bad as it sounds, you almost need to hope for injuries. See Biega, Markstrom and Baertschi for example.

It just boggles my mind how can you be so stubborn and blind. WD is far from the only one guilty of this. It's a hockey disease.

This comment is right on.....Willie really is the worst coach to bring along younger players.....a veteran can crap the bed for 10-straight games, and Willie will play him on the 11th, because based on 'past performance' 'he's due to get better'...you can't advance the careers of younger players or Utica call-ups, if in your heart, you don't really trust them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad