Why does our management recall players just to sit them in the pressbox?

MISC*

I've never seen it done more than we've done it this year. Recall somebody from Utica just to have them eat beef dip in the press box.

What's our organizations obsession with this?

May 31, 2006
1. In case of a last minute injury, they don't have to call that player up from across the country.
2. To reward prospect who is playing well in the farm with an NHL paycheck for a bit.
3. To give the player a chance to experience NHL level practice with NHL players. That's not bad for development.

I don't necessarily agree with the concept, but there is some reason for it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I've never seen it done more than we've done it this year. Recall somebody from Utica just to have them eat beef dip in the press box.

Free Willie....and the problem will be fixed:nod:

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

Our brain trust (a term I use incredibly loosely) are stuck 20-30 years in the past and hold romantic notions of what it takes to be a hockey player.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Because water is wet and this isn't a unique thing to the Canucks organization. Literally every team does the same thing.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
I get why they do it. I find it a smidge frustrating in that there are players who are not doing well on the ice who could be swapped out with said call up for a game. I wouldn't mind seeing what Grenier could do in a game over Kenins.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
*unless it's Linden Vey, in which case he will be played on the power play and over more interesting prospects like Grenier.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I think it's idiotic that they aren't more interested in seeing Pedan/Grenier play BEFORE they're eligible for waivers. Wouldn't that make sense? It's not like it would make the team perform much worse than they currently are.

Maybe they have too much pride...

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
that's not a good reason. all the other kids are doing the senseless thing, too!

So you would prefer if the Canucks kept 12 forwards, 6 defencemen, and 2 goalies on the roster? And play a man short if there's a game day injury?

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
So you would prefer if the Canucks kept 12 forwards, 6 defencemen, and 2 goalies on the roster? And play a man short if there's a game day injury?

I think people would prefer that the kids being called up see some game action. Why not get an extended look at Pedan/Grenier/Gaunce rather than having them sit in the pressbox in favour of Bartkowski, Weber, Dorsett, Cracknell, etc.?

Nothing wrong with having young players sit and collect an NHL paycheque for a few days if the lineup is too difficult to crack, but I wouldn't say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" really applies here.

I think it's idiotic that they aren't more interested in seeing Pedan/Grenier play BEFORE they're eligible for waivers. Wouldn't that make sense? It's not like it would make the team perform much worse than they currently are.

edit: Yeah, this. Ideally, you want to know whether these guys can hang at the NHL level before you decide to either blindly insert them into the lineup or risk losing them.

Last edited:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I think people would prefer that the kids being called up see some game action. Why not get an extended look at Pedan/Grenier/Gaunce rather than having them sit in the pressbox in favour of Bartkowski, Weber, Dorsett, Cracknell, etc.?

Nothing wrong with having young players sit and collect an NHL paycheque for a few days if the lineup is too difficult to crack, but I wouldn't say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" really applies here.
WD's love toward veterans

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

It's not about numbers. It's about worse players being played in front of them game after game.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
*unless it's Linden Vey, in which case he will be played on the power play and over more interesting prospects like Grenier.

Hey, Vey gave us an extra point in the standings from that shootout goal. Must be doing something right.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Because our fans like to complain about the stupidest things despite them having a logical answer.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Sitting in the pressbox makes one a better hockey player?

There was a quote from I think Willie where he said something along the lines of how call ups like these are good because you want the players to get a "taste" and to "want" to be an NHLer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad