Player Discussion Why does/did everyone hate Desharnais?

Dirby Kach

Sponsor
Sep 2, 2009
Desharnais is #4 Habs Scoring Center since the 1999-00 season.

We had some regular season success with him and more importantly, we had some playoff success in 2014 with him.

He has played more playoff games than the Montreal Canadiens franchise has in the last 5 years.

He has a great smile, hes french, our captain Max endorsed him. What a great playmaker and hard worker. What's not to like? What a stud. It is no coincidence that this franchise has gone down hill since his departure.

I bet if his name was David Donaldson and not Desharnais you'd all be in love with him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

We had some regular season success with him and more importantly, we had some playoff success in 2014 with him.

He has played more playoff games than the Montreal Canadiens franchise has in the last 5 years.

He has a great smile, hes french, our captain Max endorsed him. What a great playmaker and hard worker. What's not to like? What a stud. It is no coincidence that this franchise has gone down hill since his departure.

I bet if his name was David Donaldson and not Desharnais you'd all be in love with him.

I lost respect for him when his game went down hill the second after he signed his big contract.

He did play with an edge before that.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
I miss the 2013/2014/2015 Habs a lot. Those teams were so fun to watch. PK was fresh off a Norris, Price was without a doubt the best goalie in the world, Gally and Chucky were our promising young players, Patch was a beast, and Pleky and Markov were great too. Good times. I seriously miss playoff hockey.

Durvann

Feb 6, 2013
I never hated DD but for me the problem was I expected better from the coaching staff and management. To some extent DD did too well and made me wonder how magical would be the result if we had a similar player that is 6 inch taller, 40 pounds heavier or anyone else who could get a chance to play with Cole and Paccioretti.

Reactions: angusyoung

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Desharnais' native language had nothing to do with it, and it's shitty of you to write that it was.

It was almost entirely about his absurd usage by Therrien when most believed there were other, much better options.

mynamejeff420

Apr 14, 2020
Desharnais was never a bad player, he was actually a pretty good player. Not good enough to be a #1C on a good team imo, but he wasn't a bad player.

He just got blamed for things out of his control:

1. The coach liked him and played him higher in the lineup than he probably should've been. What's he supposed to do, ask for fewer minutes?
2. There wasn't really anybody else on the team to be the 1C, so he was playing there out of necessity.

[MOD]

I think it's mainly just that people expected him to be a 1C, which was unreasonable to expect because he wasn't that, he was just getting played like one. Blamed the coach or management if you have to blame someone, not Desharnais.

Last edited by a moderator:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
There is a pattern of the Montreal Canadiens overplaying mediocre players, and holding on to them for too long. The DD story could have been a wonderful one for the Montreal Canadiens. A free asset rising to score 60 points. The problem was that midnight came, he turned into a pumpkin, and we got Brandon Davidson for him after Pejorative Slured top line experiments to ''get him going.''

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Please, DD was given a free pass by Therrien and routinely got away with things on the ice that others rode the bench for. He was given prime power play and prime offensive zone face offs and was always stapled to the hip of Max Pacioretty, he was put into every possible favourable position to succeed and was still only a marginal player. He is a millionaire because of Michel Therrien and Marc Bergevin so let’s not cry any tears about him being wrong done by, he has a life that most of us can only dream of.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I’ll never forget the 2013-2014 season, where he had 1 point in the first 19 games and was rewarded with 1st line duties, first PP duties and every offensive opportunity imaginable. This usage continued almost until he was traded.

in all my time watching the habs, I have never seen a player be given that much rope while other players were punished for much, much less.

TL;DR: The reason was Therrien. He was obsessed with Desharnais.

Last edited:

Jerryvvv

Apr 4, 2020
Because he was not a 1 C but he was used as such.

That isn't his fault,

I never disliked DD and I still don't, it's not his fault he was put in a position that he should have never been in,

Until the organization gets a REAL #1C I think anybody playing the #1C position will be disliked somewhat,

When have seen it happen recently with both Drouin and Domi, and even danault at times,

Anybody on the team right now that is put at #1C is just a setup for failure, KK will be the next casualty, because he shouldn't be in that position either, he is not #1C material

Last edited:

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I really disliked him. watching him glide back to the bench while the other team broke into our zone made me see red. And it happened a lot, cripes my blood pressure is rising just thinking about it.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
He worked his ass off to get into the league and stay here. As someone else said, he got his big contract and couldn't give two shots anymore.

The coach being beyond useless didn't help.

Oh, mon petite Davey isn't playing well ? Let's keep giving him top 6 minutes and top pp minutes. Eller, Chucky, you guy have 1 bad shift you don't play next game. You have a good game? You stay on bottom 6.

What was is, 30, or 40 games of utter uselessness when Therrien FINALLY scratched Desharnais ?

The team seemed content with him as the number 1.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
He worked his ass off to get into the league and stay here. As someone else said, he got his big contract and couldn't give two shots anymore.

The coach being beyond useless didn't help.

Oh, mon petite Davey isn't playing well ? Let's keep giving him top 6 minutes and top pp minutes. Eller, Chucky, you guy have 1 bad shift you don't play next game. You have a good game? You stay on bottom 6.

What was is, 30, or 40 games of utter uselessness when Therrien FINALLY scratched Desharnais ?

The team seemed content with him as the number 1.
That's the problem right there, the team has been content for years.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I like him,reminds me of the garden gnomes I had as a child.

images

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
People are going to give you long winded answers here about his usage but at the end of it was just herd mentality. It was fun/easy to make fun of him so everyone did it.

That said, he obviously should have not been a number one centre on a supposed contender. Some of the hate was so genuine, though.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad