Why do you still think you can win a Stanley Cup without back-to-back top-5 draft picks?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I made this thread about a year ago. I talked about how you pretty much need to tank to win in today's NHL and that provides a lack of parity in terms of true championship caliber teams because most management groups aren't given the green light by ownership to conduct a tank. 9 of the last 10 Stanley Cup Winners drafted in the top-5 of back to back drafts. In other words, in order to have more than a 10% chance at winning a Stanley Cup over the last 10 years, you have to be one of 4 different teams that was one of the 5 worst teams in the NHL for multiple seasons between 2004 and now.

Washington just won the Stanley Cup. They drafted Ovechkin #1OV in 2004, and then got their back to back picks in Backstrom at #4OV in 2006 and Karl Alzner at #5 in 2007. Technically, Alzner was totally unnecessary, but the only reason they didn't get a top-5 pick in 2005 is because the entire order of the draft was determined by mostly random variance. Washington was 2nd to last in 2003-2004, 3rd to last in 2005-2006, and 4th from last in 2006-2007. Their 2nd last and 3rd last finish in back to back seasons allowed them to acquire Alexander Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom; two superstars that were completely essential to their success. Alzner is mostly irrelevant outside of establishing the technicality that they had back to back top-5 draft picks but then it's also just a technicality that Ovechkin and Backstrom weren't back to back top-5 draft picks.

I don't want to create a wall of text in the OP, because those tend to not get red. So I'll just throw out some key points.

1. We are only talking Stanley Cup WINNERS. I'm a Sharks fan, so I can tell you as somebody who has experienced both that making the SCF is no better than missing the playoffs. I would have much rather tanked and drafted Auston Matthews in 2016. Please don't bring up 2010 Philadelphia, 2012 NJD, 2014 NYR, 2016 SJS, 2018 VGK, or any other non-tank team that made the SCF and got crushed.

2. Teams like Florida and Arizona trying to tank and failing DOES not disprove my argument whatsoever. Not every team that tanks will win. If I were to say "You have to drink water to survive", you would have to point me to examples of why you can survive without drinking water. You could not say "This guy drank water, and he still died" as disproval of the theory that you have to drink water to survive. That's not how it works.

3. 2011 Boston may or may not be a fluke, but I'm not looking to get into those semantics; you can't reliably build a team around a goaltender having a .940 SV% because that virtually never happens. That is why Boston in 2011 is not a sustainable Stanley Cup Winner.

4. 9 of the last 10 Cup winners drafted in the top-5 of back to back drafts after finishing in the bottom-5 of the NHL's standings in back to back seasons. The last 3 Conn Smythe Winners were first overall picks. 4 of the last 6 Conn Smythe winners were first overall picks. 6 of the last 10 Conn Smythe winners were top-2 picks.

5. The NHL has had 5 Cup Winners over the last 10 years. The NBA has had 6. This league might have more parity amongst playoff teams, playoff series winners, etc., but it is a very very simple mathematical fact that there has been less parity over the last 10 NHL champions than the last 10 NBA champions. I believe a big part of this is because you have to be a bottom-5 team for multiple straight seasons to be successful in the NHL and most owners aren't willing to bite that bullet so most teams can't realistically contend.

6. One final questions for people who believe you can win a Cup without tanking; how many more years of only tank teams winning before you give credence to the idea that maybe you can only win as a tank team?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So what you're saying is the Jackets have a chance?

Jones and Dubois both taken top 4 overall.

Werenski taken the draft before Dubois' at 8th overall.

They didn't exactly tank for Dubois or Jones(Johansen) they just were plagued with injuries in PLDs case and we just really sucked the year we got Johansen.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
So what you're saying is the Jackets have a chance?

Jones and Dubois both taken top 4 overall.

Werenski taken the draft before Dubois' at 8th overall.

They didn't exactly tank for Dubois or Jones(Johansen) they just were plagued with injuries in PLDs case and we just really sucked the year we got Johansen.

Theoretically, you are supposed to get them in back to back years. So, Columbus wouldn’t fit the bill. However, I realize that this is more due to chance than anything else. In theory, a team like Colorado could end up building a championship team around MacKinnon and Makar if Makar becomes that #1D.

In the case of Columbus...no, I don’t really think so. Seth Jones is, without question, an elite superstar #1D. One of the top-5 in the NHL. Pierre-Luc Dubois is a fine young center and probably will end up a Logan Couture level #1B type center but will he be an elite top-5 (top-10 at worst) center that carries a team to a Stanley Cup? I don’t think so.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Theoretically, you are supposed to get them in back to back years. So, Columbus wouldn’t fit the bill. However, I realize that this is more due to chance than anything else. In theory, a team like Colorado could end up building a championship team around MacKinnon and Makar if Makar becomes that #1D.

In the case of Columbus...no, I don’t really think so. Seth Jones is, without question, an elite superstar #1D. One of the top-5 in the NHL. Pierre-Luc Dubois is a fine young center and probably will end up a Logan Couture level #1B type center but will he be an elite top-5 (top-10 at worst) center that carries a team to a Stanley Cup? I don’t think so.
But Werenski and Dubois were taken in back to back drafts. And Werenski definitely has 1D upside, the Jackets coaching staff has admitted they trust him in any situation, but they have to watch his minutes until he's fully adjusted to the league. And he played the entire season with a possibly torn rotator cuff and still tied for 2nd for goals by a dman.

I think the potential is definitely there for Dubois.. Maybe I've got some dark tinted Homer shades on, but he just kept getting better and better season long. Torts kept feeding him more minutes and situations all season long and by the end of the season he's pretty much taken the 1C spot and it's his to lose in camp to Wennberg. Give him another season or two to get his body use to playing 80 + games and he's going to be a force to be reckoned with. I mean he's not just a passenger on Panarins line, he's not only extremely physical, he's extremely smart and knows exactly where to be on the ice. And when your linemate is as gifted and shifty as Panarin good things are bound to happen.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
But Werenski and Dubois were taken in back to back drafts. And Werenski definitely has 1D upside, the Jackets coaching staff has admitted they trust him in any situation, but they have to watch his minutes until he's fully adjusted to the league. And he played the entire season with a possibly torn rotator cuff and still tied for 2nd for goals by a dman.

I think the potential is definitely there for Dubois.. Maybe I've got some dark tinted Homer shades on, but he just kept getting better and better season long. Torts kept feeding him more minutes and situations all season long and by the end of the season he's pretty much taken the 1C spot and it's his to lose in camp to Wennberg. Give him another season or two to get his body use to playing 80 + games and he's going to be a force to be reckoned with. I mean he's not just a passenger on Panarins line, he's not only extremely physical, he's extremely smart and knows exactly where to be on the ice. And when your linemate is as gifted and shifty as Panarin good things are bound to happen.

Werenski is top-5 level talent. Columbus is legit but you have to be more than just legit to win the Cup. So many good teams don’t win every year. Jones, Werenski, Dubois, Panarin are all legit. But how do they compare to Kane, Toews, Keith, Doughty, Kopitar, Crosby, and Malkin? I think every single one of the CBJ would be the worst player listed if you tossed them in that mix.

I think Columbus is the Cup Favorite next year if they get Tavares.

Last edited:

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
Think the Rangers finally realized this which is part of the reason for a “traditional rebuild” which really is code for tanking.

Reactions: Sens

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Yes, having elite (top 5 pick) talent on your team is advantageous when it comes to winning the Cup. However, Edmonton proves that there are no guarantees with this method. In reality, you don't just need two top 5 draft picks in a row. You also need good drafting beyond the 1st round. You need a Letang or a Crawford or a Holtby in the later rounds. Otherwise you're moving a 1st round pick for a starting goalie, a good young forward for a similar quality D and signing whatever UFAs you can overpay to play for your team. So, the lesson here is that drafting well is imperative, not just that you need to suck for a couple of years and it will magically fix everything.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
As a Buffalo fan I'd love to see the multiple top picks in a short period theory come to fruition.

Sadly, along with Edmonton, we may totally debunk that theory.....:(

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
The last 10 Cup winners have had a top 2 pick, Pens I think had 4 (Staal go 2 or 3?). But Nashville is great, I think Johansen from Seth Jones at 4 is the only use of a top 4 pick. But they needed 2 trades that looked immediately incredible. Jets roster is conventionally assembled plus Laine. I think only Stamkos and Hedman were taken that high years apart on Tampa, I think they’d still be a contender with only one of those guys. Tampa drafted well enough to need one top 2 pick. The Caps with Ovy and Backstrom never did shit in the playoffs; since they nailed the Kuzy pick they’ve either won or lost to the team that won the East. It’s that top 2 pick in a money year that you need, Sabres have no excuses with 2 of those guys.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
As a Buffalo fan I'd love to see the multiple top picks in a short period theory come to fruition.

Sadly, along with Edmonton, we may totally debunk that theory.....:(

As stated above, you guys debunk nothing. The theory is that you can not sustainably build a legitimate Stanley Cup Contender without top 5 draft picks in at least two straight seasons; not that you are automatically a sustainably built legitimate Stanley Cup Contender if you have top 5 draft picks in at least two straight seasons.

Tank teams aren’t that uncommon; there are more tank teams than legitimate Cup Contenders every year.

The last 10 Cup winners have had a top 2 pick, Pens I think had 4 (Staal go 2 or 3?). But Nashville is great, I think Johansen from Seth Jones at 4 is the only use of a top 4 pick. But they needed 2 trades that looked immediately incredible. Jets roster is conventionally assembled plus Laine. I think only Stamkos and Hedman were taken that high years apart on Tampa, I think they’d still be a contender with only one of those guys. Tampa drafted well enough to need one top 2 pick. The Caps with Ovy and Backstrom never did **** in the playoffs; since they nailed the Kuzy pick they’ve either won or lost to the team that won the East. It’s that top 2 pick in a money year that you need, Sabres have no excuses with 2 of those guys.

Tampa drafted Stamkos #1 and Hedman #2 in two straight seasons. Tampa is a bubble team at best without those two players. Backstrom had 23 points in 20 playoff games. He was essential to Washington’s victory.

Also, Nashville is not great. Nothing besides the Stanley Cup is great.

Last edited:

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
As stated above, you guys debunk nothing. The theory is that you can not sustainably build a legitimate Stanley Cup Contender without top 5 draft picks in at least two straight seasons; not that you are automatically a sustainably built legitimate Stanley Cup Contender if you have top 5 draft picks in at least two straight seasons.

Tank teams aren’t that uncommon; there are more tank teams than legitimate Cup Contenders every year.

Tampa drafted Stamkos #1 and Hedman #2 in two straight seasons. Tampa is a bubble team at best without those two players. Backstrom had 23 points in 20 playoff games. He was essential to Washington’s victory.

Also, Nashville is not great. Nothing besides the Stanley Cup is great.
With what Stamkos, Hedman, and Backstrom make and produce, I think it’s possible to replicate that without tanking, in free agency or trades or nailing a pick in the 20s. Kane, Ovy, Crosby, Laine, Doughty, Malkin - that type of player never becomes available.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
La did, unless you include the hickey pick at 4 ( which ended up being worthless for La

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I agree that a team almost certainly needs to tank to win it all. Obviously you need elite talent to win and the top five is the place to get it. It’s not a sure recipe for a cup win, but a needed risk.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Once the Flames trade for Elias Lindholm, they'd have back to back top 5 picks in Lindholm and Bennett. Flames for the cup 2020...

You have to be the bottom-5 team that makes those picks.

The kinds of players that you need at least one of with your top-5 picks are the kind of top-5 picks that don’t get traded.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
You also need good ownership, GM, coaching, drafting, scouting pro/amateur. Also need to tank in the right years for franchise talent. Just ask Edmonton, Florida, Arizona and Buffalo. When team sucks it often hasn't got the right setup in place.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
La did, unless you include the hickey pick at 4 ( which ended up being worthless for La

The Hickey pick wasn’t entirely worthless because it was another shot and eventually, after enough shots that high, you will score on a superstar like Doughty. If they didn’t pick in the top-5 and immediately brought themselves to a #7-12OV (like modern day Detroit) drafting team after picking Hickey then they would not have won a Stanley Cup.

In addition, they picked Brayden Schenn in the top-5 and he was a key component in the Mike Richards trade and Mike Richards was a key component in their victory.

With what Stamkos, Hedman, and Backstrom make and produce, I think it’s possible to replicate that without tanking, in free agency or trades or nailing a pick in the 20s. Kane, Ovy, Crosby, Laine, Doughty, Malkin - that type of player never becomes available.

Stamkos scored 60 goals, Hedman is a back to back Norris Finalist, Backstrom scored 100 points and was a Selke Finalist. What kind of player has been traded or signed in UFA of that caliber? Almost guarantee they have serious flaws like Thornton’s playoff woes (that followed him to San Jose and were arguably the difference between them breaking and not breaking the tanking model) or Subban’s locker room issues (that have arguably followed him to Nashville where his name is heavy in trade talks.)

Saying Laine as a type of player that never becomes available is kind of funny when Laine is inferior to Stamkos, Backstrom, and Hedman.

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
This is a lot less convincing when you realize three teams have 8 of those last 10 cups. That means that anything those three teams have in common could be argued to be "necessary for a cup" about as strongly, especially since Alzner wasn't with the Caps and Schenn was traded (along with Simmonds) for Mike Richards, a guy who was not a top 5 pick. Not really convinced.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
So wait, the Capitals drafted Backstrom and Alzner back-to-back 12 years ago, one of the two is no longer on the team, and that's why they won the cup?

Yeah, that's why I still think you can win the Cup without back-to-back top 5 picks. You murdered your own argument in your first paragraph and a half.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad