Why do you cheer for the team?

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
My cousin Daryl Reaugh played in the Oilers organization from 84-89. He was a goalie so obviously he didn't play many games with the big Club. 7 to be exact. I was 8 years old when he started playing for them so I have been a fan of the Oilers for most of my life.

I did cheer for the Whalers when he played with them but the Oilers were always in my blood. I enjoyed all of the Stanley Cups but not like I would now. I definitely took those for granted and felt like we were just going to keep winning cups.

I lost interest a little bit in the mid-90s but the 97 playoffs had me cheering hard for them again. I loved those teams in the late 90s, those first round upsets against Dallas and Colorado we're so much fun. Even with the dark decade and more that we've recently had I will never be able to not cheer for them.

I've tried not cheering for them in these dark days, I guess I am an Oiler fan for life. They can't suck forever right? Right?

Oh so your part of the OBC too huh?

;)

Reactions: redgrant

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
Because sports are entertaining and win or lose my life doesn’t change. I don’t care who’s name is on the back or if we loose 82 in a row I will always cheer for the crest on he front.

I am a Oilers Die Hard

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I think I just like watching train wrecks. And hey, if they are good again one day, I'll enjoy that too.

Reactions: elmeroil

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Because they were my favorite team growing up and I care about how they perform. No other team evokes the same level of interest. 2006 was a magical playoffs. It was surreal because they were the 8th seed. Perhaps I'm setting myself up for more decades of disappointment, but if they ever win then I will take immense pride that I stuck with them through the lean times.

On that note, I remember seeing the difference in celebration around these parts when the Hawks won in 2010. The people that started watching again the year or two before had fun, but the fans that stuck with the team through the depths of the Dollar Bill era reached that next level of satisfaction.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Been a Oilers fan my whole life. I thought the end of the world just happened when they lost their first game to the Islanders in 83' cup final. Balled my eyes out. It was just one game and they lost the series anyways. But I could never fathom it could get worse. Now I ball my eyes out after every game.:cry::cry::cry:

:) I love the Oilers!

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Fell in love with the scrappy Doug Weight era Oilers..

Now I’m just stuck

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
The Ryan Smyth and Cujo years for me. Those teams were so awesome and had the work ethic I wish we had now. Still like and follow the team but I drank about 12 bottles of scotch so far this year just watching the oilers so I'm trying to take it easy and not be so invested... trying to enjoy the better teams and the game of hockey moregenerally.,

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Born and raised in Edmonton. Remember being a kid when I didn't even think of playoffs and expectation was a cup in 87 88 til gretzky traded.

Battle of Alberta was very real and it was such an innocent time.

God how I long for those days.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Started cheering in the 80s when they played Philly in the finals. Got spoiled and didn't realize it would be a curse on them forever after that team was gone.

Kind of followed them less in the 90's as I was too busy with school and drinking but of course couldn't really leave them alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad