OT: Why do we care so much about trading Draft Picks?

Detroit Sports*

I remember the board was in an uproar when we traded a 1st for KQ.Although I agree that is a steep price to pay.We don't even play our young players for at least 4-5 seasons.For example if we Drafted Seth Jones what do you guys think realistically he would be a regular in the lineup? 2016-17?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I remember the board was in an uproar when we traded a 1st for KQ.Although I agree that is a steep price to pay.We don't even play our young players for at least 4-5 seasons.For example if we Drafted Seth Jones what do you guys think realistically he would be a regular in the lineup? 2016-17?

Just because we take 4-5 seasons to develop guys doesn't mean we don't need them in 4-5 years.

Detroit Sports*

Just because we take 4-5 seasons to develop guys doesn't mean we don't need them in 4-5 years.

I understand this, and it is actually how I feel sort of. It just seems like if we are crying about Tatar being buried in GR. When will we ever see Sproul,Jurco,Jarnkrok,Frk,Pulkinen,Sheahan,Marchenko or even Mrazek now that Howard got
a lifetime contract basically?

He Lied to Mario

May 16, 2009

How long was DeKeyser in Grand Rapids?

Detroit Sports*

I never get excited during the draft because I know we will never see these kids til I forget about them.Like why can't a kid make our team from training camp ever? If we had Jeff Skinner or Gabriel Landeskog would they make the team from their draft year or buried in GR and Landeskog is not only good enough to make a NHL club he is already a captain.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
lifeblood of the organization, especially with most of the stars in the NHL opting to sign life-time and big huge deals these days. You have to draft and develop your own talent something the Wings have always been good at. But these days you have to be more careful with your assets. In particular in a draft year like this, it is nice to think of the assets we will probably get in the first two rounds, the first round in particular.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I never get excited during the draft because I know we will never see these kids til I forget about them.Like why can't a kid make our team from training camp ever? If we had Jeff Skinner or Gabriel Landeskog would they make the team from their draft year or buried in GR and Landeskog is not only good enough to make a NHL club he is already a captain.

Glad you picked two top ten picks that have broken onto a couple of the worst teams of the decade to prove that point. You can keep following these kids as they come up if you want, it is kind of fun, a lot of people around here do that.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
To sum everything up. We break our kids in significantly longer than the rest of the league would, and definitely longer than we should in most cases. But it is what it is at this point...

Our draft picks are still important, even if it feels like we're putting money into a retirement fund.

Detroit Sports*

lifeblood of the organization, especially with most of the stars in the NHL opting to sign life-time and big huge deals these days. You have to draft and develop your own talent something the Wings have always been good at. But these days you have to be more careful with your assets. In particular in a draft year like this, it is nice to think of the assets we will probably get in the first two rounds, the first round in particular.

I agree with this. But I feel like Steve Yzerman as an 18 year old wouldn't make our team. Am I wrong for thinking this? It seems like regardless they will say " the kid needs,size,be better on the PK, experience etc"

Detroit Sports*

Glad you picked two top ten picks that have broken onto a couple of the worst teams of the decade to prove that point. You can keep following these kids as they come up if you want, it is kind of fun, a lot of people around here do that.

My point was am I wrong for thinking Sergei Fedorov or Pavel Bure would not make this team as an 18 year old? ( those aren't top ten anymore) I just want to know what the board thinks about this...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would bet a decent amount of money if we drafted someone as thin as Huberdeau or Nugent-Hopkins we would have waited a bit longer to play them than Florida or Edmonton.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
I would bet a decent amount of money if we drafted someone as thin as Huberdeau or Nugent-Hopkins we would have waited a bit longer to play them than Florida or Edmonton.

tumblr_mktev18zQ31qg1sjko1_1280.jpg

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I agree with this. But I feel like Steve Yzerman as an 18 year old wouldn't make our team. Am I wrong for thinking this? It seems like regardless they will say " the kid needs,size,be better on the PK, experience etc"

Yzerman was a top 5 pick, he would probably make this team, although in this modern era he might have been sent back to be less rail thin. Yzerman played at a stunning weight his first pro season, probably around 155 to 160 lbs.

My point was am I wrong for thinking Sergei Fedorov or Pavel Bure would not make this team as an 18 year old? ( those aren't top ten anymore) I just want to know what the board thinks about this...

Fedorov and Bure are more examples of the Russian factor of yesteryear, they along with Mogilny had tons of hype and were thought to be among the best players in the world before ever stepping on ice. They fell because of concerns over the ability to get them to American/Canada, keep in mind the literally smuggled Fedorov into Ilitch's car to get him in the fold as early as they could.

We just haven't had many shots at the kind of players you put right in, Holland always says that.

A better example would probably be a Ryan O'Reilly (He went lower and came right in) if we draft him he doesn't come in right away and maybe he could. But we have a good team and aren't drafting the real cream of the crop. I am curious if Jurco just starts setting the world on fire to start next year, kind of like how he finished this year, or Ouellet makes a quick transition how long they sit down there.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have a good friend who helped develop the strength and conditioning program for the Panthers, so I can say with certainty that Huberdeau's strength level is not even close to NHL-caliber. However, I can also say that he scored more goals last year than anyone on the Wings not named Datsyuk. When he adds muscle, he will be a monster.

Detroit Sports*

I have a good friend who helped develop the strength and conditioning program for the Panthers, so I can say with certainty that Huberdeau's strength level is not even close to NHL-caliber. However, I can also say that he scored more goals last year than anyone on the Wings not named Datsyuk. When he adds muscle, he will be a monster.

So you are telling me if Huberdeau was drafted by the Wings and had the strength ''required'' to play he would have made the roster or down to GR?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So you are telling me if Huberdeau was drafted by the Wings and had the strength ''required'' to play he would have made the roster or down to GR?

Was not eligible to be in the AHL this year, they would have left him in juniors though. He really just needs the strength, he played for the worst team in the league, easier lineup to make. Him playing on the third line here wouldn't have been great, but he might have come straight out of Q if his strength gain was good enough in this summer, which it likely will be.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
I'm so sick of this picture, I'd really like to know what size shirt he is wearing. Guy is 6'3" and probably like 190 lbs. He's not that small.

He really is that skinny and he definitely isn't 190, I think more along the lines of 170-175 to be honest. I've seen him plenty of times around campus.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
He really is that skinny and he definitely isn't 190, I think more along the lines of 170-175 to be honest. I've seen him plenty of times around campus.

This. He is clearly very skinny. He also played very well and held his own. He will put on some weight in the offseason and will be fine. .

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

But he is 6'3". I would bet he's got to be at least 185 lbs. Do you know how light 170 lbs is for someone who is 6'3" and a professional athlete? Keep in mind he's not an 18-19 year old kid like someone like Nugent-Hopkins or Huberdeau. He is 23 years old.

From an mlive article written a week or 2 ago:
Like all young players, the 6-foot-3, 190-pound DeKeyser needs to gain weight and strength in the off-season.

Guessing people's weight can be a deceptive thing, remember muscle weighs more than fat. This is my last post on the matter, but for someone who is very in tune to strength and athletic training, I just wanted to put some input into this.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

In my personal opinion, yes I believe so. Kid has undeniable talent though.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We would bring Seth Jones to roster immediately after he finishes his junior career. We overripen only those physically immature guys, because all we draft are those kind of guys. Their potential comes always out later.

If we would get a real high draft pick, that already pretty much proven talent would be there at 19-20 year old. It's simple as that. No high draft picks, we develop them ready. High draft pick = ready earlier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad