Why do we boo Subban?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Eriksson56

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa
I'm really really not a fan of the guy, but i still don't know why we boo him.
Yes hes a ****** , yes karlsson is better, but why boo?
PS: His celebration was fair enough. we boo'd all night, he scored the o.t winner.

Still hate him tho

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
he's a good player, we just played them in the playoffs and things transpire there where some feel the need to boo

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I'm really really not a fan of the guy, but i still don't know why we boo him.
Yes hes a ****** , yes karlsson is better, but why boo?
PS: His celebration was fair enough. we boo'd all night, he scored the o.t winner.

Still hate him tho

Because he cheapshotted Turris instead of manning up when the rest of his teammates got into a one-sided brawl with Ottawa.

That's when the booing started, when we all realized what a gutless punk he is.

Something his own team found out in that series.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
He's not good enough to boo. I wish we'd stop tbh.

And his celebration was silly, not insulting. Talking about it makes it matter. He scored a gwg and got fired up. No big deal. It was silly.

Alfieghetti

inflamed
Jul 29, 2009
dudes probably taken a lot of **** from people like brennan his whole career for the colour of his skin. Hockey players and fans are some of the most small minded backwoods losers in sport. I don't blame him for throwing it in everyones face now.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Mendez said on the radio that everyone is a little racist subconsciously, and that we have an unrealistic expectation of Subban because he is black.

Its not that he is seemingly smug and full of himself or anything, nor is it because he can come off as a poor sportsman. It's not even that people boo him because he's a great player. Its because all white people, subconsciously hate on him because he isn't white.

Thanks for the lesson, Ian. Appreciate it

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He is a jerk. But a very talented one. I just hope he plays well at the Olympics and people will then enjoy his celebration.

jaygodard

Dec 3, 2013
Hopefully he does well for us in the Olympics, maybe people will stop the boo if he scores the game winner in the gold medal game!

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
You're missing his point, you're missing his point, you're missing his points.

he's a bit overly enthusiastic, but it doesn't bug me

I understand what he's saying, but I think he's painting large groups of people with a very broad brush.

It may be true for some people, but not all. THere are plenty of reasons for people to not like Subban aside from race.

I'm a fan of the guy, i couldn't care less what he's like personally. He's fun to watch and that's all that matters to me.

smithy

May 31, 2011
New York
I really wish we wouldn't. I can't think of another time Ottawa fans have systematically booed an individual player. And I definitely think people subconsciously hold Subban to a higher standard because of race (emphasis on subconscious). And I think that's a pretty ugly tendency in all of us.

So I'd rather fans deliberately give PK the benefit of the doubt. Even with things like the goal celebration.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Same reason I boo Iginla, Kane, Emery, Simmonds, Stewart, Ward, Byfuglien, Daley, Fraser, Oduya and Jones - they're "classless" and don't represent my values as a Canadian. Other than that, I don't see anything else which links those players.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
yeah, according to mendes and marcotte today, if you have a problem with subban or buff or kane, you are very likely racist on some level.

he conveniently mentions these 3 players as guys that always get the 'problem' label.

I don't like matt cooke. most people don't. i don't like sidney crosby. i don't like colton orr, or frazer maclaren or nazem kadri (oops racist). I could go on forever. Subban would be the only guy 'of color' i can think of on my list of about 20-30.
If i could talk BM into trading for Buff or Kane i would.(half true)

I can only speak for myself. I don't like whiny, arrogant, dirty, disrespectful, a holes. Period. I don't even see skin color.

(btw, the butler is a pretty good movie if you want to ease yourself into learning some history.)

Last edited:

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I understand what he's saying, but I think he's painting large groups of people with a very broad brush.

It may be true for some people, but not all. THere are plenty of reasons for people to not like Subban aside from race.
i just found it funny that all Mendes would say is 'you're missing my point'

you're right about Subban, his own team had to curb his personality, and the other two examples, Buffy (who is relative to his peers overweight), and Kane who flashed money, aren't race either. Lots of players get hate, like Nash, Kessel, Seguin. If they were not white, I imagine Mendes would play the 'subconcious' race card.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
There are plenty of reasons to dislike Subban if you are not racist, starting with the fact that he plays for Montreal. However, if you are a racist you will definitely hate Subban.

People sometimes confuse those two very different things.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
His on-ice person is in the same category, for me, as Marchand. Cocky, and more cocky and while he does have the skill and Norris to back it up I suppose as he matures he'll get it.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
i just found it funny that all Mendes would say is 'you're missing my point'

you're right about Subban, his own team had to curb his personality, and the other two examples, Buffy (who is relative to his peers overweight), and Kane who flashed money, aren't race either. Lots of players get hate, like Nash, Kessel, Seguin. If they were not white, I imagine Mendes would play the 'subconcious' race card.

haha my mistake, i misunderstood :)

Im sure that it is a sensitive subject for Mendez, he has undoubtedly been treated unfairly due to race countless times over his life. Its the type of thing that someone of the majority like myself can not truly understand, I get that. But I resent when that card is played as an absolute truth for all.

It is true for some absolutely, for many . . . possibly. But not all.

sensrmyheart*

His on-ice person is in the same category, for me, as Marchand. Cocky, and more cocky and while he does have the skill and Norris to back it up I suppose as he matures he'll get it.

If Karlsson was healthy the entire year I think it woulda been a toss up between them two for the Norris, imagine Karlsson with an unharmed achilles...

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
haha my mistake, i misunderstood :)

Im sure that it is a sensitive subject for Mendez, he has undoubtedly been treated unfairly due to race countless times over his life. Its the type of thing that someone of the majority like myself can not truly understand, I get that. But I resent when that card is played as an absolute truth for all.

It is true for some absolutely, for many . . . possibly. But not all.

i agree with all this here. mendes went the wrong way today. i have dealt with this sort of thing myself being 'different'. Things done to me and said to me i will never forget. but.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad