Why Do The Rules Change In The Playoffs?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The PPO numbers suck, as I pointed out above, both regular season and playoffs.

The difference is that in the playoffs you can pretty much outright tackle players every single play and nothing is called. The numbers may be the same but the ignored calls are ten times as much in the playoffs.

Jephman

Jun 1, 2010
I don't agree with your examples...

There's holding in the NFL on every play, and it's far more likely to be called in the regular season than the Super Bowl

MLB changes what constitutes a strike from umpire to umpire!

I think you are missing the point. Referring is inherently subjective, but the point he was trying to make it that across the board, reffing changes from regular season to the playoffs. Any given umpire doesn't change their strike zone between regular season and playoffs. Even if there are inconsistencies between umpire to umpire, the umps themselves are consistent. This is how the MLB differs from the NHL, because any given referee is "swallowing his whistle" in the playoffs, which they didn't do in the regular season.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think you are missing the point. Referring is inherently subjective, but the point he was trying to make it that across the board, reffing changes from regular season to the playoffs. Any given umpire doesn't change their strike zone between regular season and playoffs. Even if there are inconsistencies between umpire to umpire, the umps themselves are consistent. This is how the MLB differs from the NHL, because any given referee is "swallowing his whistle" in the playoffs, which they didn't do in the regular season.

Again, under 3 power play opportunities per game in 2016-17, the lowest recorded as far back as they go, to 1963.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/stats.html

In fact the last three years have been the lowest number of opportunities since 1963.

Face it the league has sucked on this issue for years now. The post season is only worse because players outright tackle other players a every play in the playoffs.

blueinbigd

Mar 8, 2012
It is one thing to "let em play" during the playoffs but the problem is that their is such a drastic change in what is let go during the playoffs as opposed to the reg season. I have seen at least fifty hits in these playoffs that would have been a penalty for charging, boarding, etc. without a doubt in the reg season. I would say that at least ten of them were just outright vicious and should have been called playoffs or not. One thing that has happened as a result of the "let em play" policy is players are not turning to face the boards to either draw a penalty or avoid getting hit which I think has led to more exciting hockey. I think physical hockey is frowned upon too much in the reg season and glorified too much in the playoffs.

mynameisnick4

Jan 18, 2012
Pittsburgh
I can't stand the "let them play" mentality and the BS reasoning behind it. It doesn't "let the players decide the game" or "stop the reffs from deciding the game" it does the opposite. By not calling the game by the rule book you ARE affecting the game because players know what you are doing and that they can get away with more. It sucks the skill out of the game and makes garbage players more relevant (which seems to be the goal and mentality of the powers that be.)

The BS that if the reffs called everything it would be a revolving door to the box, sure it might be for the first period but the players would learn pretty quick, they aren't stupid. I'm guessing we need another situation like in 04/05 to reverse this trend.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Nothing will change until we as fans and members of the media make it a story. It's good that the next generation of fans is starting to question this.

My best friend who is a big hockey fan(just not as big as myself) and a little more "new-school" compared to myself being a little more "old-school" has been all over me these play-offs asking why isn't this a penalty, why isn't that, I've seen that called in the regular season..why isn't it called now? Answer - that's just the way it is. But that shouldn't be the way it is.

Until it is made into a story and people(media) start to question this nothing will change. Which is a shame because the skill is being neutralized by clutch and grab hockey.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
It's gone way beyond letting marginal calls go unmade. Even if it hadn't, that argument holds no water.

A penalty is a penalty, and should be regardless of the time of year. Call the rule book, otherwise the NHL essentially condones cheating. These players aren't dumb. They're tackling the opposition because they know it won't be called. If you call the rule book, they'll adapt. It might take a game or two, but they'll learn. Just like they've learned they can get away with just about anything that doesn't draw blood now.

The NFL doesn't stop calling penalties just because it's the Superbowl. MLB doesn't change what constitutes a strike just because it's the World Series. Only the NHL changes the rules for the playoffs and it's becoming more than tiresome.

Finally someone I agree with.

Csteamer

Mar 23, 2012
I've always thought the same thing. It's the only major sport I can think of where they completely disregard the rules in the playoffs. The calls shouldn't change, at all. It's beyond ridiculous that this is just accepted by everyone.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Because they dont want the games to slow down and be pp after pp after pp.

The part of the playoffs that makes it more exciting is the intensity if you call every little ticky tac call the games slow down and the intensity lowers.

or, ya know, maybe people will realize that being in the penalty box is bad and they'll stop with the clutching, grabbing, slashing, interference etc and we'll actually have fun hockey to watch again.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
It's gone way beyond letting marginal calls go unmade. Even if it hadn't, that argument holds no water.

A penalty is a penalty, and should be regardless of the time of year. Call the rule book, otherwise the NHL essentially condones cheating. These players aren't dumb. They're tackling the opposition because they know it won't be called. If you call the rule book, they'll adapt. It might take a game or two, but they'll learn. Just like they've learned they can get away with just about anything that doesn't draw blood now.

The NFL doesn't stop calling penalties just because it's the Superbowl. MLB doesn't change what constitutes a strike just because it's the World Series. Only the NHL changes the rules for the playoffs and it's becoming more than tiresome.

Agree 100%. After my team (the Hawks) got eliminated by Nashville's clutch and grab fest I basically stopped watching the playoffs. Checked out a few of the Edmonton and Pitt vs Wash games cause those teams play fun hockey, but you couldn't pay me to sit through a Nashville vs Anaheim game or a Nashville vs St Louis or basically any Ottawa game.

Csteamer

Mar 23, 2012
They still call every high stick to the face and every puck shot over the glass, but you can downright tackle someone and it's all good.

It makes no sense. They arbitrarily decide what they call and what they let go.

Just call the rules in the rule book. All of them.

Csteamer

Mar 23, 2012
Nothing will change until we as fans and members of the media make it a story. It's good that the next generation of fans is starting to question this.

My best friend who is a big hockey fan(just not as big as myself) and a little more "new-school" compared to myself being a little more "old-school" has been all over me these play-offs asking why isn't this a penalty, why isn't that, I've seen that called in the regular season..why isn't it called now? Answer - that's just the way it is. But that shouldn't be the way it is.

Until it is made into a story and people(media) start to question this nothing will change. Which is a shame because the skill is being neutralized by clutch and grab hockey.

Bingo. It's mostly "old-time hockey" guys who like this. Old-Time hockey was awful when you compare it to today's game. We should be doing everything we can to showcase the best players in the world on the biggest stage available to us, not allowing them to be grabbed and hooked in the names of "letting them play"

It allows teams that aren't as skilled to compete, which is a ridiculous notion in and of itself.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Essentially, I think the reasons are

A) The hockey world wouldn't support 20-30 penalties a game being called for 2-3 years until the culture changed and we could get back to 5-10 penalties a game(which is still probably too much for a lot of people)

2-3 years??

no coach is gonna allow their team to take 10-15+ penalties a game for more than a couple games before making changes

within a couple weeks or months you'd have a clean product if they stayed consistant

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site

It falls on the players to get change. Unless the fans tune off the games. But, doubtful that happens on a significant scale to warrant it. And media, please... so a story breaks, big deal.

It's all about what the top NHL stars want and they have to put effort into it IF they want change. If they are ok with the status quo, then it will continue the way it has been going.

Unless McDavid, Eichel, Mathews, Laine, etc. top end players do something pro-active, like make their voices heard or join the competition committee, the NHL will continue the way it has been. They have to understand that they are the ones who drive the NHL. You think fans would show up for the World Cup of Hockey comprised of 3rd and 4th liners and 3rd pairing D and backup goalies? No..... So, they should use their pull, if they desire change, and get change in hockey. But, you know hockey players. Not going to rock the boat.

Remember, Dept. of player safety is run by guys who played on the edge. No Lady Byng winners in that group. Thus, no counter balance.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
It falls on the players to get change. Unless the fans tune off the games. But, doubtful that happens on a significant scale to warrant it. And media, please... so a story breaks, big deal.

It's all about what the top NHL stars want and they have to put effort into it IF they want change. If they are ok with the status quo, then it will continue the way it has been going.

Unless McDavid, Eichel, Mathews, Laine, etc. top end players do something pro-active, like make their voices heard or join the competition committee, the NHL will continue the way it has been. They have to understand that they are the ones who drive the NHL. You think fans would show up for the World Cup of Hockey comprised of 3rd and 4th liners and 3rd pairing D and backup goalies? No..... So, they should use their pull, if they desire change, and get change in hockey. But, you know hockey players. Not going to rock the boat.

Remember, Dept. of player safety is run by guys who played on the edge. No Lady Byng winners in that group. Thus, no counter balance.
The players won't do anything until it is talked about. The only way to get people talking about it is through the media. No player is going to go, ya know what, I've had enough of this clutch and grab, I'm gonna call out the refs and play an honest game in these play offs. Players and team personnel are not allowed to criticize the work the refs do. Pretty sure they get fined more for that then some violent acts that happen on the ice :sarcasm:. But you know who can criticize the refs and not get fined?

Take fighting for example, until a few articles came out saying they should abolish fighting no one even thought about it. Now in 2017 we are getting pretty close, or at least closer than a lot of purists thought we would get to ending fighting.
EDIT: Recreational drug use is another. Story broke out, like you wrote my initial reaction was who cares. But here we are...2 years after the article and the NHL is starting testing for those drugs.
Goalie gear, I believe one of the GM's brought it up a little while back about it but until someone brought up the issue and it became talked about on a league wide basis they had no plans of altering the equipment. Now, goalie gear is being revised for the 2017-18 season.

Until it is talked about publicly, whether it be a player, coach or person of the media this will never change.

Last edited:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
They still call every high stick to the face and every puck shot over the glass, but you can downright tackle someone and it's all good.

It makes no sense. They arbitrarily decide what they call and what they let go.

Just call the rules in the rule book. All of them.

What happens to every play in front of the net? Penalty after penalty till the players adapt and guys stand six inches in front of your goalie with impunity? Thanks but no thanks.

The reffs are internally consistent if they let the physical stuff go and call the ticky tack subjective stuff they are essentially deciding the games. No one wants to lose on a ticky tack call.

Let em play.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
The players won't do anything until it is talked about. The only way to get people talking about it is through the media. No player is going to go, ya know what, I've had enough of this clutch and grab, I'm gonna call out the refs and play an honest game in these play offs. Players and team personnel are not allowed to criticize the work the refs do. Pretty sure they get fined more for that then some violent acts that happen on the ice :sarcasm:. But you know who can criticize the refs and not get fined?

Take fighting for example, until a few articles came out saying they should abolish fighting no one even thought about it. Now in 2017 we are getting pretty close, or at least closer than a lot of purists thought we would get to ending fighting.
EDIT: Recreational drug use is another. Story broke out, like you wrote my initial reaction was who cares. But here we are...2 years after the article and the NHL is starting testing for those drugs.
Goalie gear, I believe one of the GM's brought it up a little while back about it but until someone brought up the issue and it became talked about on a league wide basis they had no plans of altering the equipment. Now, goalie gear is being revised for the 2017-18 season.

Until it is talked about publicly, whether it be a player, coach or person of the media this will never change.
This is pretty short sighted and ignores technological advances and increased skill level of players entering the league

And to go along with that, the league has tinkered with the rules to appeal to casual fans and it has been a disaster every time.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
All I gotta say is the USA vs Russia game I watched yesterday was infinitely more entertaining than any NHL playoff game I've seen this year.

It was fun to watch a game decided by skill rather than which team clutched, grabbed, slashed and interfered the best.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
USA vs Russia game was also great because the lack of hits from behind.

Anyone else notice that in the playoffs? The Wild were hitting in the numbers a lot in round one. Ducks have been doing it 3-4 times every game. Yet to see more than 1 be called. Thankfully sometimes they're checking up on speed. But I saw Getz and Kesler with 2 hits in the numbers alone in the game last night.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
It's one of my main frustrations with the game. I firmly believe that what's called in the first period of the first game of the season should also be called in OT of game 7 of the SCF.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I agree a penalty should be a penalty, I don't care if it means 25 PP's a game, after all just call it tight for a game or two and the players will adapt, just like the over the glass rule. Right?

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
What happens to every play in front of the net? Penalty after penalty till the players adapt and guys stand six inches in front of your goalie with impunity? Thanks but no thanks.

The reffs are internally consistent if they let the physical stuff go and call the ticky tack subjective stuff they are essentially deciding the games. No one wants to lose on a ticky tack call.

Let em play.

I'd much rather lose on a ticky-tack call than a puck over glass, and I guarantee the refs will call that every time.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Playoffs just get way more attention but this has pretty much become the standard even in the regular season.

Interference was called 100% of the time in the 3-4 years after the lockout. The hockey was great then. Crosby/Ovechkin were must watch TV. Now pretty much every dman interferes with the forechecker. I guess the league decided to slow the game down to combat concussions. What is so pathetic is they never came out with a press release saying that they were going back to the old rules. They know how bad it would look to publicly come out and say that. Instead they just hoped that NHL fans/media would be too stupid to notice. Sadly, it appears they were right.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I'd much rather lose on a ticky-tack call than a puck over glass, and I guarantee the refs will call that every time.
Welcome to subjective penalties where not every stick check is a slash and not every instance of contact away from the puck is interference.

And no one is okay losing a game on the PK because of a ticky tack call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad