Speculation: Why do the Pens lead the man games lost almost every year?

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Reread the article that I linked. Last year we AVERAGED five roster players out of the lineup every single game. That means on any given night 22% of our regular roster was missing. That is a staggering number when you think about it and can not be mere bad luck. And last year was typical for the Pens.

That was actually two seasons ago (Feb 2012 is the dateline on the article, though the mentions of Sullivan and Staal should have been dead giveaways of that fact). Last year the Pens suffered relatively few injuries, with only Crosby's broken jaw being one of any real significance.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
You said you wanted a discussion and there's a couple people here willing to give you a serious one. Let me know if this is all in jest or just some place to make jokes and I won't waste my time.

Your vague and cryptic responses aren't helping this any.

What I am saying is that most often when I create polls it is a question that I do not have an answer for, or even one in mind, but would be a question people would enjoy talking about. It is never a joke, though I do have tongue in cheek in some of my posts. It, along with a liberal use of analogies, is just a debating style I developed. Or a weird sense of humor.

But if the topic was a joke it would have been ignored. Believe it or not I enjoy hearing what people have to say around here even more than giving my opinion. Especially on questions I am pondering.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
These damn popup ads make me want to throw a chair through a window.

Pretty aggravating on a phone that doesn't have ******* software (edit: advertising removal software, lol). When I try to X it out the damned thing anticipates me and disappears.

Anyway, its not the training staff. They don't seem to recommend a return to action until guys are overripe, so to speak, the last couple years. Then again, that they don't rush guys back might have something to do with man-games lost, though nothing to do with number of injuries suffered.

The mystery "lower-body injuries" that guys suffer from time to time and miss 2-5 games is very likely because of the ice at Consol, and those have been pretty consistent since they switched buildings. That's the only definite "pattern" injury I can think of.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The mystery "lower-body injuries" that guys suffer from time to time and miss 2-5 games is very likely because of the ice at Consol, and those have been pretty consistent since they switched buildings. That's the only definite "pattern" injury I can think of.

Now there is an interesting thought.

Regardless of it's potential impact on injury (and I think you are on to something, there)... the ice in the new barn really, really still needs some serious work. It's downright embarrassing, at times. Even the players slag on it... anonymously.

It's really kind of incredible how awful it is. It was supposed to be a big feature of having a new rink. I almost prefer the tractor trailer sized air conditioners pumping cold air into the building rather than the present conditions.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Pretty aggravating on a phone that doesn't have ******* software (edit: advertising removal software, lol). When I try to X it out the damned thing anticipates me and disappears.

Anyway, its not the training staff. They don't seem to recommend a return to action until guys are overripe, so to speak, the last couple years. Then again, that they don't rush guys back might have something to do with man-games lost, though nothing to do with number of injuries suffered.

I forgot about the ice. Yeah, that has been an issue since CEC opened, and is especially apparent when the weather is warmer. I remember all the complaints that for a new arena that they could have at least gotten the ice right.

As for the popup ads, I totally understand the need for advertising for revenue. I do not mind it at all. But I have always found annoying people is not a good way to win business. That is why popup ads like the ones here which used to be ubiquitous are so rare now. Personally I make a point of NOT buying from a company that used them. Ace hardware has lost me forever as a customer for instance. I would drive an extra 5 miles to go elsewhere.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
What I am saying is that most often when I create polls it is a question that I do not have an answer for, or even one in mind, but would be a question people would enjoy talking about. It is never a joke, though I do have tongue in cheek in some of my posts. It, along with a liberal use of analogies, is just a debating style I developed. Or a weird sense of humor.

But if the topic was a joke it would have been ignored. Believe it or not I enjoy hearing what people have to say around here even more than giving my opinion. Especially on questions I am pondering.

Fair enough... I'll call off the bunker buster headed towards your IP Address' location.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Now there is an interesting thought.

Regardless of it's potential impact on injury (and I think you are on to something, there)... the ice in the new barn really, really still needs some serious work. It's downright embarrassing, at times. Even the players slag on it... anonymously.

It's really kind of incredible how awful it is. It was supposed to be a big feature of having a new rink. I almost prefer the tractor trailer sized air conditioners pumping cold air into the building rather than the present conditions.

Maybe if Oscar the Grouch pulls a groin skating to his trashcan next month, something will finally be done just due to sheer embarrassment.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I forgot about the ice. Yeah, that has been an issue since CEC opened, and is especially apparent when the weather is warmer. I remember all the complaints that for a new arena that they could have at least gotten the ice right.

As for the popup ads, I totally understand the need for advertising for revenue. I do not mind it at all. But I have always found annoying people is not a good way to win business. That is why popup ads like the ones here which used to be ubiquitous are so rare now. Personally I make a point of NOT buying from a company that used them. Ace hardware has lost me forever as a customer for instance. I would drive an extra 5 miles to go elsewhere.

Ads that try to trick you into clicking them by accident are the worst. I can't imagine that generates very many additional sales at all.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Maybe if Oscar the Grouch pulls a groin skating to his trashcan next month, something will finally be done just due to sheer embarrassment.

:laugh:

There was a pretty embarrassing article about it earlier this season, I think. Filled with anonymous quotes from Penguins players that were... far less than flattering. I guess they are supposedly "still working" on it... but... I mean... it's been over 3 years, now.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I don't think we can attribute it to anything more than bad luck. (With the one exception IC mentioned being Sid's neck injury)

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
It could be the old Mellon Arena water they poured onto the ice at the opening game. In that case, we need these guys:

Supernatural-supernatural-2784812-1280-960.jpg

I swear that's what I've been thinking. That weird baptism-type ritual did them in. :laugh:

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Has to be trainers/doctors.

We have an even worse injury track record than the Flyers did back when they had the putrid Jim McCrossin as their trainer...

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Has to be trainers/doctors.

We have an even worse injury track record than the Flyers did back when they had the putrid Jim McCrossin as their trainer...

I don't think the trainers can do anything to prevent the type of injuries we've had happen. They can't do anything about blood clots, falling awkwardly into the boards, players being attacked from behind, or having bones broken from blocking shots.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't think the trainers can do anything to prevent the type of injuries we've had happen. They can't do anything about blood clots, falling awkwardly into the boards, players being attacked from behind, or having bones broken from blocking shots.

This is true. I still don't get how one breaks their leg from blocking a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad