Speculation: Why do the Panthers not go after college free agents?

luby3131

Jan 8, 2011
Parkland, FL
This is something that's bugged me for a few years now. Every year a number of college players who were never drafted sign with NHL teams, and I can't even remember the last time the Panthers signed one. I want to say Jason Garrison was the last one, and he was signed during the Jacques Martin years. Anybody know why we never get any of these guys? Are we linked to anyone this year?

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
Jason Garrison was our best college signing. Can't remember any others off the top of my head...

CoolburnIsGone

I know they have made offers in the past, but unfortunately the players choose other teams for various reasons (more money, closer to home, etc).

Look at what happened with Corbin Knight, we traded him because he wanted to go somewhere else where he would get a better opportunity. If we didn't trade him, he would've became a UFA too.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Though I can't recall names off the top of my head, the Panthers most certainly HAVE signed some college free agents over the last 10 years. Most of them end up in the minors though.

luby3131

Jan 8, 2011
Parkland, FL
Though I can't recall names off the top of my head, the Panthers most certainly HAVE signed some college free agents over the last 10 years. Most of them end up in the minors though.

Off the top of my head, the only undrafted players I can remember the Panthers signing since Tallon arrived have ironically, considering Dale's preference for college players, come from the CHL. Michael Houser was signed after development camp in 2012 after his strong season with London in the OHL. In 2010, Tallon signed Jonathan Hazen out of the Q and Anthony Luciani out of the O. Both guys have hopped between the AHL and ECHL.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
Since all teams can only offer the same MAX amount of money, most of the top tier college UFA's end up going to teams like Chicago/Pitt/etc.

No matter how obscure we hope a guy is, most of the time there are at least 10 teams interested because of how low-risk these players are.

Right now FLA still isn't a premier destination, so it will take some smooth talking to get a few of the top guys down here, but it's worth a shot.

....I want Greg Carey (LW'er from St. Lawrence who knows how to shoot)

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
I hope Tallon's been scouting UVM while Brickley's been there. The school has turned out some top end talent the last 30 years, but also is more notable for turning out kids that know how to compete, no matter how talented or lacking thereof.

Chris McCarthy for instance...I don't think he's drafted. Graduates this year. Is tied for 25th in NCAA scoring with 40 points, topped 100 career points at UVM despite a red shirt season and an injury in another season.

Senior defenseman Nick Bruneteau has been reliable and chipped in offense, 58 points in 143 career games.

Others Tallon could keep an eye on:
5'9" Mario Puskarich scored 19 goals and 35 points in 36 games as a freshman, 2nd in team scoring.

Freshman forward Brendan Bradley had a shorty this season and 19 points. He's got room to grow still at 6' and 170lbs.

Junior Jake Fallon is a constant offensive threat even if he hasn't racked up the points. 20 in 36 games.

There's other guys I know have been significant presences in games even if they're not on the scoresheet much. Their 1a goalie Brody Hoffman also is worth a look.

There's 5 grads from this school in the NHL right now. Two of them were never drafted, St. Louis and Kevan Miller. 16 players from this school have seen at least a cup of coffee in the NHL, with at least a dozen seeing a season or more. I believe five of them were NHL All-Stars. It's a Division I school, but it's not a top tier - they normally have 3-5 drafted players in the roster, versus Hockey East opponents BC, UNH, and BU which typically have a dozen, some of whom are high-end picks. UVM did have a 1st rounder committed a couple years ago (before he was drafted), but Buffalo signed him before he ever attended a class.

You usually get blue collar types from UVM, sometimes with high end talent, is all I'm saying.

luby3131

Jan 8, 2011
Parkland, FL
Jimmy's brother Kevin Hayes could become a UFA this summer if he doesn't sign with Chicago.

Another name to monitor, although rumor has it he will sign with Chicago when BC's season ends. 6-4 forward that can play all three forward positions, enjoying a breakout senior season going from 6 goals last season to 24 this year. Maybe he'll force the issue, a la Corban Knight last year, to get out from under the daunting Chicago depth chart (only getting more crowded once Teravainen joins the squad in the next few days) and join his big brother in Sunrise?

Also coming from the Chicago tree, Notre Dame defenseman Stephen Johns is in the same boat as Kevin Hayes. 2nd round pick in 2010, big right-handed stay at home defenseman. Chicago would also like to sign him, but crowded depth chart there as well, especially with the addition of David Rundblad at the trade deadline.

Both these guys are long shots to hit UFA. Want a name who is likely to hit the FA market? Keep a close eye on Quinnipiac forward Jordan Samuels-Thomas. A 7th round selection by the Thrashers in 2009, Samuels-Thomas has been inherited by the new regime in Winnipeg, who has no allegiance to him. Samuels-Thomas is a force on the ice, a prototypical power forward with some nice wheels. He'll have an NHL contract by the summer, whether it's with Winnipeg or another team.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
A name to know if this trend changes: UNH's Kevin Goumas. Nations's 5th leading scorer with 50 points in 38 games. Spent some time playing youth hockey in Lake Worth. Not sure what his pro potential is, but nonetheless would be an interesting story for the team.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=45727

I know one of his brothers. Their family is based out of NY IIRC

Glad to see Kevin doing well.

CoolburnIsGone

What about SEL or SMLiiga players? I know the last one, Murphy think was sucked. But there's good players over there. Heck even players from Swiss league.
Almost positive we signed Alexander Salak out of the SMLiiga as a UFA.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
At one time, we thought highly of Markstrom and Salak...

How times change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad