Why do the Leafs almost never play home games on Fridays and Sundays?

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Because the Leafs are a real franchise.

This... coupled with the Raptors needing the ACC, but the NHL is also not stupid. They will avoid putting the Leafs on Sunday like the plague, because they do not want to ever run their top television draws against the NFL on Sunday.

Rielly4Captain

Apr 9, 2012
I hardly ever see games being played on there even on the road it's that case.

Because Saturday night is hockey night in Canada... and Toronto is the biggest market. Therefore they set most home games on Saturday, and they dont usually play 2 home games back to back 2 days in a row.

thehumanpanda

Jul 31, 2010
Mega City, Ontario
Because Saturday night is hockey night in Canada... and Toronto is the biggest market. Therefore they set most home games on Saturday, and they dont usually play 2 home games back to back 2 days in a row.

Yeah exactly, and the Raptors play on Fridays or Sundays even when everyone's on the road because the same company owns both teams and they'd preferably like us to watch both.

Anyway Hockey Night in Canada is a ratings juggernaut and the Leafs are this program's crown jewel, sorry Ottawa lurkers not many people from Nova Scotia to BC are tuning in for your Sens. It's all about the Leafs.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Hockey Night in Canada is on Saturday, and the Raptors usually play Fridays and Sundays as it has been mentioned. Makes alot of sense really.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
:skeptic:

Have you ever played a hockey pool with daily changes... so that it forces you to pay attention to the schedules of every team in the league?

Because E-V-E-R-Y team constantly plays most of their games on Thursday and Saturday. Those days are almost always a full slate on the NHL schedule.

Sunday is NFL day in the US. All business and all other activities seem to come to halt for that holy day. Monday night football too. The NHL typically has a light schedule on both days. Tuesday isn't as extreme as Thursday and Saturday, but it is a clear 3rd in scheduling (just above Wednesday).

Unlike football (once a week) and baseball (every day), hockey's reasonable schedule is every 2 days (or thereabouts).

So if you want the most people watching and don't want to go head-to-head with the NFL, you play on Saturday. If you want to make your games most available near the weekend so that people still have days off and you want to give your players time to recuperate, you play on Thursday. So people go to the game on Thursday night, knowing that they're off Friday evening... they may go to work a little groggy for Friday, but know that they have the weekend to make up for a little less sleep on Thursday.

So the reason that teams play the majority of their games on Saturday, Thursday and Tuesday is because of the NFL. The NHL is a league that doesn't make a lot of money in some American markets until after the completion of the NFL season.

cujoflutie

Anyone know when the last leafs regular season game on a friday or sunday was at the ACC before this one?

Reasons I can think of;
-seeing as how hockey night in canada on saturday nights has been a tradition over 50 years, the leafs are pretty much locked in there
-given that they'll be playing on saturday, leaf management likely would prefer to avoid back to back
-not that it's a direct competition but friday night is the heaviest night in the Ontario Hockey league so many of those fans would likely appreciate not having the leafs or sens on that night.
-as mentioned above Sunday is generally a light day for the NHL until the NFL shuts down.
-while the NHL wouldn't dare dare take saturday nights away from us, they know the leafs would sell out a Monday-Thursday game easily so they'll save the weekend games for 'other' franchises

cujoflutie

Friday: December 23, 2005
Sunday: pre-03/04, if ever

Wow ironic that I don't remember that since I was in attendance that night!

My grand father was a die hard leaf fan and without him I probably wouldn't care for hockey let alone the leafs. I was able to secure leaf tickets for that game when they went on sale in september (I was 23 at the time, didn't have a credit card to buy online prior to then). He died 8 days before that game so I brought my sister. She wore her Tucker jersey, I wore my McCabe jersey (he bought both of those jerseys for us). That game the leafs won 2-1 with the goals scored by McCabe and Tucker! Sorry for going off topic, that was just a sentimental night for me.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Hopefully, they can get the home town boy in the draft.

Tbh, and im no business pro but after seeing Americans (bosh carter) leave I'd target a Canadian from this city with the potential wiggins has, I'd tank and do everything I can to get that pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad