Why do Tavares and Couture hate each other?

KingJet*

Probably played each other a bunch of times growing up...

They played against each other in midget and OHL

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
Couture was supposed to be the 1st overall pick in the OHL draft but Tavares got exception status and the Generals went back on their word and picked JT.

I don't know if they personally still hate each other.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Is it a fact they dislike each other? I've never heard that but I have heard the generals had told couture they were going to take him first until tavares got specical exception to play. I also think couture had applied for the special exception the year before and was denied.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Don't they train together in the summer at Dave Gagner's gym in London with Sam Gagner, Patrick Kane, Rob Schremp, and bunch or other London natives and Knights players?

Leaf Fever

Mar 20, 2008
No not at all, different divisions. It goes back to Oshawa not selecting him 1st overall and going with Tavares even when they promised Couture. Couture then dropped to the Ottawa 67s.

They are in the same division. The rivarly hasn't been there the past few years because Oshawa wasn't a very good team and the 67's were, and vise versa.

I'm surprised a guy that was supposed to go 1st overall in his draft ended up dropping to 12th, unless he was going to be a surprise pick for Oshawa.

He and his family threw a little temper tantrum since he wasn't going 1st and said they were going the NCAA route which is why he dropped. And either Ottawa struck a side-deal prior to the draft or decided to take him anyways figuring he would cool off over time.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
He and his family threw a little temper tantrum since he wasn't going 1st and said they were going the NCAA route which is why he dropped. And either Ottawa struck a side-deal prior to the draft or decided to take him anyways figuring he would cool off over time.

Did Couture actually think he was going to get drafted over Tavares because they had an agreement? Tavares was better at 15 then Couture was at any point in his junior careers. It's not like it was a surprise.

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
Did Couture actually think he was going to get drafted over Tavares because they had an agreement? Tavares was better at 15 then Couture was at any point in his junior careers. It's not like it was a surprise.

it still doesn't explain why Couture would be mad at Tavares? I still get why he would be mad at the generals though.

Gripper said:
it still doesn't explain why Couture would be mad at Tavares? I still get why he would be mad at the generals though.

Teenagers and hockey parents are often not the most rational thinkers.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Yea like what was stated, Couture was upset Tavares got exceptional player status and was upset Oshawa wasn't gonna take him so he played the NCAA card. The 67's took a risk selecting him and Killer convinced Logan and his family that the 67s were his best option. And they were. Killer's coaching helped mould him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad