GDT: Why do many Avs fans embrace the Wings rivalry?

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Well:

Detroit started it.

Yet, somehow the Avs were the villains.

Doucheren McCarty jumped Lemieux in the “Turtle Incident” that trash pleb fanbase is so fond of.

They won more cups over the rivalry’s duration, got the last laugh in 2002, not only endured the Cap Era, but continued thriving for another decade. They employed Hull, Hatcher, Bertuzzi.

The main fuel of my distaste is largely that the majority of my friends/hockey fans in my area in general support Detroit. The ones who root for both U Michigan & the Wings are especially insufferable, which is what steered me towards the Avs in the 1st place that fateful fall of 1995.

I know the Blood Feud is over, but I still relish beating them, & shit like this

still draws my ire, while harkening back memories of the glorious battles of yesteryear wherein Colorado was 1 of the top 4 teams & a legit contender for 8 magical seasons.

Completely accurate. So many ignore or sweep aside the Kozlov hit on Foote. Rammed his frickin forehead into the glass. Uncalled. That was the igniter.

Also, a degree of demographics played a role in this rivalry. There were LOTS of Michigan origin hockey fans in Denver at that time.... Still are in fact.... for whom the Red Wings was their home team. They possessed a bit of an arrogance in their assurance that they knew hockey and no one else could compare. It was on display from the 1st inaugural game of the 95-96 season. I still remember those 2 Red Wing fans sitting in the row in front of me dressed up in their Red Wing paraphernalia and elitist commentary during the game. It was gratifying that the Avs won that home opener.

Joe Louis Arena was better than McNichols. Detroit had classic uniforms and logo while the Avs new introductions were ridiculed. I still remember the Michigan core bragging that Little Caesars had surpassed Littleton Hockey as the largest Tier II youth hockey organization in the Nation. Colorado was inferior when it came to hockey (having lost a franchise 14 years previously). It was relentless.

You know how today Minnesota Wild fans are despised here in Avalanche-ville? Esp. with their smugness and narcessistic attitudes that they know the sport better than anyone else? Well, that was the attitude of the Red Wings fans towards Denver in 95-96.

Woody Paige nicknamed them the "Dead Things". We fans started the Red Wings Suck chant..... Pretty childish and unsophisticated. But the night the Avs beat the Red Wings in the 96 Western Conference Final still must register audibly as the loudest cheer ever recorded in that building. And the parking lot was a pure joy experience (Never again heard so many repeated car horn blasts as were sent in that parking lot!)

You experience something like that. You don't forget it. You don't trivialize it and you remember it fondly.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You all must be misunderstanding my post.

I'm not saying the rivalry didn't matter, I'm just saying that the rivalry in the end isn't something to be celebrated on our end due to the outcome of the rivalry.

The outcome of the rivalry was the Avs won the playoff head to head matchups 3-2 during the rivalry and 3-1 in the prime of it.

If you're being honest and not trolling, it's pretty silly to tell a group of fans of the team in the best rivalry in sports, that it wasn't something to be celebrated. Especially when you weren't alive to witness it and don't know the actual "outcome."

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The answer is a lot of us lived that rivalry. It’s not like yesteryear anymore but the Wings are among the teams that I still actively dislike although not irrationally so. Plus being SC champs now and with Helm contributing, it’s just not the same anymore. Wings are doing a nice job of rebuilding.

And IDGAF who we (the Avs) meet in the POs cuz we’ll stomp ‘em all.
I stopped hating the wings when Datsyuk and Zetterberg arrived. Jealous of their team success around that time but the hate was dead after 02. Watching 'Unrivaled' right now. I still dislike Kris Draper very much and as I have always said this rivalry started when Kozlov slammed Foote's head into the board but people love making it out like the Avs were the bad guys all along.

The outcome of the rivalry was the Avs won the playoff head to head matchups 3-2 during the rivalry and 3-1 in the prime of it.

If you're being honest and not trolling, it's pretty silly to tell a group of fans of the team in the best rivalry in sports, that it wasn't something to be celebrated. Especially when you weren't alive to witness it and don't know the actual "outcome."
The Wings got Forsberged in 99 and 00. f***in Dallas robbed us of more glory.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
The Joe was a shithole. One of the worst designed arenas in history. That thing needed replaced about 10 years after they built it. McNichols was pretty shitty too.

I do miss that we used to name stadiums after people/things instead of just after corporate sponsors. Nothing screams soulless corporate America like the Little Ceasars Arena. Puke.

RampoSanta

Landy was not offside
Apr 1, 2021
Colorado
Well:

Detroit started it.

Yet, somehow the Avs were the villains.

Doucheren McCarty jumped Lemieux in the “Turtle Incident” that trash pleb fanbase is so fond of.

They won more cups over the rivalry’s duration, got the last laugh in 2002, not only endured the Cap Era, but continued thriving for another decade. They employed Hull, Hatcher, Bertuzzi.

The main fuel of my distaste is largely that the majority of my friends/hockey fans in my area in general support Detroit. The ones who root for both U Michigan & the Wings are especially insufferable, which is what steered me towards the Avs in the 1st place that fateful fall of 1995.

I know the Blood Feud is over, but I still relish beating them, & shit like this

still draws my ire, while harkening back memories of the glorious battles of yesteryear wherein Colorado was 1 of the top 4 teams & a legit contender for 8 magical seasons.

I feel like I wrote this commment. 1000000% correct

TequilaBay

May 30, 2019
Apologies if I came off as condescending or if I offended anyone in this thread.
I'm just personally tired of hearing our teams legacy being defined by the Wings rivalry, and wanted to showcase how that doesn't have to be the case, both due to circumstances back then and now.
I never wished for this thread to shame the older fans for having fondness of individual sporadic moments of the rivalry, that was not my intention at all. I'm just trying to shed some limelight on why I don't think our teams history and legacy should be defined by it. To me, that just means Avs history is simply a facet of Wings history, and I just think it's best we have our own legacy that isn't codependent on a Wings narrative.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Apologies if I came off as condescending or if I offended anyone in this thread.
I'm just personally tired of hearing our teams legacy being defined by the Wings rivalry, and wanted to showcase how that doesn't have to be the case, both due to circumstances back then and now.
I never wished for this thread to shame the older fans for having fondness of individual sporadic moments of the rivalry, that was not my intention at all. I'm just trying to shed some limelight on why I don't think our teams history and legacy should be defined by it. To me, that just means Avs history is simply a facet of Wings history, and I just think it's best we have our own legacy that isn't codependent on a Wings narrative.
It’s okay, you’re just a kid. But we were there. I’d a gone after those mofos back then. Now…I’d just hoist the SC in their face and smile.

Reactions: MaKarter

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

This may just be how you view their legacy, not necessarily how others view it. When most people think of Stanley Cup winners, they think about the finals, not the conference finals.

When people think about the 96 Cup win, they think about plenty of things other than the Wings. They think about sweeping the Panthers. Forsberg's dominant hat trick game. The rats on the ice. And Uwe Krupp's triple OT Cup winning goal.

When people think about the 01 Cup they think about Roy beating Brodeur. They think about going down 3-2 to the Devils after Roy turned the puck over behind the net in game 4 and then had a poor game 5. Then Bourque giving an Independence Day style speech to rev the boys up. Then Roy getting a shutout in game 6. Then Tanguay scoring two huge goals in game 7, and Sakic faking the slapper, then shooting between Scott Stevens legs to beat Brodeur high glove. Then Joe handing the Cup to Ray before lifting it himself while Ray's kids and everyone watching cried. Then Shjon Podein wearing all his gear for 24 hours while celebrating the Cup win.

Those who followed the team back then also think about another heated rivalry with Dallas. The back to back game 7 loses in the conference finals. Hatcher and Matvichuk playing dirty af hockey, especially against Forsberg. Modano and Hull being Av killers. Not getting the job done to win the Cup for Bourque the first year after the trade.

There's also plenty of other plot points in the Avs story that don't involve the Wings. Lacroix making huge trade almost every year. The Roy trade. The Theo Fleury trade. The Bourque trade. The Rob Blake trade. Playing fan favorite Adam Deadmarsh in the playoffs right after. Blake playing his former team. Forsberg playing like Achiles vs the Kings and losing his spleen.

The Avs have a great legacy. It's not tied to the Wings, they're just part of it.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
My opinion on why I find it baffling how the Wings rivalry is celebrated by Avs fans, when we objectively lost that rivalry in the end, and when the rivalry had little to nothing in the grand scheme of things to do with our cup wins.

I just think our teams history doesn't need to be defined by that rivalry. I get that if you were watching hockey during the rivalry and had an emotional attachment what it would've meant to you at the time, but that's simply harkening back to past memories. It's been 20 years, we now know how the rivalry ended up in the end. It sucks that it ended up that way, but it's the tragic truth.
How did the Avs lose it? By winning more series? Straight up clowning going around here.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Kid... I'm 24 years old ;)
:thumbu: Sorry but I have over 40 years on you.

I was thinking about my answer to you earlier. I’m really glad this generation of Avs fans has its own SC and identity. I’m proud of the early teams but I’m just as proud of this group too. It’s nice to have a new generation appreciating Avs hockey. And it’s gratifying that Sakic led the way for this team.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
The rivalry was good for both teams, both being recognized as two of the best teams all time (truly legendary teams/players) and they hated eachother deeply.

Colorado is now (finally) back on top, best of the best, Red Wings still have major issues and there is no reason caring much about them right now.

This is a memory from the past, a piece of hockey history.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

landpoke

May 21, 2020
Before watching that show the other night, I only remembered Roy standing on his head. I completely forgot how he could give up some embarrassingly soft goals.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Before watching that show the other night, I only remembered Roy standing on his head. I completely forgot how he could give up some embarrassingly soft goals.
Any time Roy left his crease to play the puck,
1656539452412.gif

When he was dialed in it was a thing to behold, when he wasn’t, it was somewhere between an adventure & a train wreck. :laugh:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The Joe was a shithole. One of the worst designed arenas in history. That thing needed replaced about 10 years after they built it. McNichols was pretty shitty too.

I do miss that we used to name stadiums after people/things instead of just after corporate sponsors. Nothing screams soulless corporate America like the Little Ceasars Arena. Puke.
Crypto.Com Arena.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
:thumbu: Sorry but I have over 40 years on you.

I was thinking about my answer to you earlier. I’m really glad this generation of Avs fans has its own SC and identity. I’m proud of the early teams but I’m just as proud of this group too. It’s nice to have a new generation appreciating Avs hockey. And it’s gratifying that Sakic led the way for this team.
Yup. This cup is a true Colorodo Avalanche cup. Said it the night of. The previous 2 cups still had Quebec draft picks playing in that game. The one on Sunday didnt. All Avs.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Yup. This cup is a true Colorodo Avalanche cup. Said it the night of. The previous 2 cups still had Quebec draft picks playing in that game. The one on Sunday didnt. All Avs.
I hope TequilaBay has an appreciation for the Nordiques. It’s kinda nice that Sakic brings this tie in to that part of the organization’s history.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I don't know about that. The guy who put this Avs team together was drafted by Quebec

TequilaBay

May 30, 2019
I hope TequilaBay has an appreciation for the Nordiques. It’s kinda nice that Sakic brings this tie in to that part of the organization’s history.

I own a Nordiques Reverse Retro jersey. Unfortunately, it's for Grubauer, who's no longer with the team.
Still like him as a goalie though, I hope he gets traded to Carolina (my B-team) so I can still root for him.
Speaking of Carolina, the Avs and Canes should host outdoor games in Quebec City (when Colorado is the home team) and in Hartford (when Carolina is the home team), with both teams wearing Nords and Whalers during both of those meetings.

Reactions: flyfysher

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Why can't multiple eras simultaneously define our legacy as a team? Do you think there's just one time period that alone defines legacies of storied teams like the Boston Bruins, Montreal Canadiens, etc?

No. They have multifaceted, nuanced histories with many chapters that are defined by many different things.

This just seems like such a bizarre hill to die on. Who here honestly cares what you or I, individually, want our legacy to be remembered as? Things are more complex than that.

Reactions: tornadowarning33

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I own a Nordiques Reverse Retro jersey. Unfortunately, it's for Grubauer, who's no longer with the team.
Still like him as a goalie though, I hope he gets traded to Carolina (my B-team) so I can still root for him.
Speaking of Carolina, the Avs and Canes should host outdoor games in Quebec City (when Colorado is the home team) and in Hartford (when Carolina is the home team), with both teams wearing Nords and Whalers during both of those meetings.
It might work in Hartford but I think many of the Quebecers would be highly insulted.

Just ask Frenchie.........

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad