Why didn't we give Hasek another shot?

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Ok so I saw that recently the Sabres introduced Hasek into their Hall of Fame which made me start to think about his time in Ottawa.

Maybe my memory's a little fuzzy but why did we never give this guy another shot? I know that a lot of people were upset when he refused to play after having that injury at the Olympics.. myself included

However I saw a writeup on him recently saing that he would willing to come back the following year and play for Ottawa again at a lower salary..

I'm just wondering why the team was so against signing him for an extra year and see what would have happened? he would've been motivated to play well and get back on the good side with the team and the fan base

In retrospect.. do you think the team should have re-signed him for another year? I personally think we should've given him another shot just to see what he could've done for us. if he pulled the same drama then sure cut him loose.. but I think they should've seen what could've happened

Just wondering if you guys think the same thing in retrospect?

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
I was still pretty young then, but even I thought the situation was bizarre.

I mean, one of the best goalies in the history of the game, who up until his injury had very much lived up to his nickname wants to come back and play for your team and you say no thanks?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Age, injury concerns, faith in Emery.

I remember reading a lot of angst because he gave up on the team, and rumours Alfie begged him to play... not sure if it was true or not, but if the team wasn't behind him, there is no way you re-sign him.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Muckler wanted to give him another year but at the end of year interview Murray undermined him and said "the players need someone they can rely on" and Muckler came back and said he felt Hasek still had some good hockey on him but the dye was cast

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
The team asked him to not go to the Olympics and he did anyway

So the team let him walk

kindaof a stupid way to go about things..those were the years when Ottawa was ridiculously talented too. We wouldv'e won a Cup for now if the team could have just swallowed its collective pride and let him come back.

All they would have needed to do is have an honest discussion between Hasek and the leadership group among the players before the following season and the team would have been okay with that I feel.

Us fans are fickle. Sure we wouldv'e booed him in the beginning but it wouldn't have taken him long to win us back if he got back to playing how was before the injury.. and by all indications I think he could have.

What a shame.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
he gave up on team

Still.. there's something to be said about the fact that he was willing to come back for less money. Just think we probably would have had a Cup by now had they swallowed their pride and gave him a shot one more time...

LynxBud

Nov 27, 2013
Gloucester
It was like a dream come true when Ottawa signed Hasek. For me anyway.

He was willing to come back for minimum salary, if I'm not mistaken. Should've taken the 'risk'.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I'm pretty sure everyone wanted him back, except for Melnyk and he would not allow it do to a budget.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
He quit on the team and the players didn't want him back. It's got more to do with the players than Murray. Muckler wanted him back but as was mentioned a lot of players didn't want him back after refusing to come back when they fell behind to Buffalo. There is rumours they begged Hasek after the game 1 debacle and other rumours that they begged him when they were down 3-0. I highly doubt we get past the ducks even with Hasek. Emery didn't cost us the series vs Anaheim. In fact we wasted the one great game he had.

cage

Apr 25, 2004
This. There was a lot of talk about him not pushing very hard to recover from the injury.

Hasek was always like that though. It was like Ottawa didn't know who they were getting when they signed him and then forced him out. You take the bad with the dominator because the good was great.

I'm not sure if we would have done any better though had he stayed an extra year. The entire team fell apart after 07. Hell, Dom probably would have made it even worse

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
i remember at the time there were a lot of rumours that Alfie (and by extension) the rest of the team did not want him back

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
He quit on the team and the players didn't want him back. It's got more to do with the players than Murray. Muckler wanted him back but as was mentioned a lot of players didn't want him back after refusing to come back when they fell behind to Buffalo. There is rumours they begged Hasek after the game 1 debacle and other rumours that they begged him when they were down 3-0. I highly doubt we get past the ducks even with Hasek. Emery didn't cost us the series vs Anaheim. In fact we wasted the one great game he had.

I can't believe people didn't know this...From Alfredsson down, no one in the locker room wanted him back.

One day, the guys will speak their mind but til then...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad