Why didn’t Filatov/Brule pan out for the Jackets?

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I remember a video from that draft, showing MacLean and other Jacket front Office
personnel I can't recall who were in complete shock the team in front of them didn't
Brule.

Team and player:

5MontrealCarey Price
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

6ColumbusGilbert Brule
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Be interesting to know who the Jackets would have taken if Montreal took Brule.

Also interesting, drafted by Carolina in 2005 at #3 overall

3CarolinaJack Johnson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
(Refused to sign, still gets booed every time He touches the puck in Raleigh)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I remember a video from that draft, showing MacLean and other Jacket front Office
personnel I can't recall who were in complete shock the team in front of them didn't
Brule.

Team and player:

5MontrealCarey Price
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

6ColumbusGilbert Brule
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Be interesting to know who the Jackets would have taken if Montreal took Brule.

3CarolinaJack Johnson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The persistent rumor repeated around here is that the scouting staff was really high on a certain underscouted and unrecognized center from Slovenia who dropped to #11. Not sure if that's for real or just yet another "WOE IS US" overemphasized rumor, tho.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Not to "derail", but it would be awesome to have a "prime" Zherdev in the "current" NHL, or on a team like the current CBJ team. Him and Panarin would/could be something special. I think he is/was used as a scapegoat for just truly how bad some earlier teams were. Its clear he wasn't a perfect player, and who knows just how much of an actual "diva" he really was, but its also clear what type of player he was, at what level he could perform at, and what he could do to help an NHL team win hockey games. Its interesting to see how "offensive" players get a pass on their overall game nowadays when they are putting up points, but lacking in defensive effort or efficiency. Although the trade "worked out", it also seems/seemed like we moved him as he was just putting it together. Should have kept him and Hitch for at least a few more years than we did. I don't claim to have ANY insight on how he was "as a person" or how hard it was for him to come over here at such a young age, but I think he could be seen as 1 of the NHL's biggest "what-ifs" in a pretty big recent time frame. He was ridiculously skilled offensively, and could do things that a very small percentage of guys could do in the NHL, not just at the time, but in general. While its overlooked just how young he was at the time, and he did have issues with consistency ("unknown" injuries?), he also showed flashes when he was "on" or when angry, that he could be a somewhat "dominating" player on both ends of the rink. The issue was getting him to "turn it on" or play more aggressive consistently, however I can see where the lack of motivation could come from.

Looking back at all these guys, and going down the hockeydb rabbit hole, you quickly realize just how bad this team was built for a long time, and how much bad drafting and development clearly affected it.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
The persistent rumor repeated around here is that the scouting staff was really high on a certain underscouted and unrecognized center from Slovenia who dropped to #11. Not sure if that's for real or just yet another "WOE IS US" overemphasized rumor, tho.

It's not a rumor, you can find Youtube videos today where MacLean talks about
the possibility of taking Kopitar with the 6th pick.

There's only 1 sure thing when you look back at previous drafts, that is sometimes
your best bet is place 5 or 6 players on a dartboard and throw a dart blindfolded.

Look at the 2014 1st round, how many GM's are still kicking themselves today for
letting Pastrnak fall to #26. When you read Pastrnak's pre-draft bio on NHL.com
it reads that He is a "great penalty killer"

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Trading down from Ladd to Picard was a head scratcher for sure, but like Dougie says "he scored more goals than anyone else in the draft class, including Ovechkin!"

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I was there the night Nik Filatov got his hat trick. It was right in the middle of his stretch of nine games where he was with the club, and the debate was flying around over whether or not to let him stay for his tenth and beyond (thus burning up the first year of his contract) or sending him back to juniors.

After he ripped the wicked snapper for his second goal of the night, I was dazzled by his ability. And I was watching him the whole time on the play where he got his third. And I just jumped up and yelled, to no one in particular, "Hey mom, can we keep him?"

Unfortunately, I don't remember anything else he ever did.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Well, except for a cover of the Hockey News, where he and Nash were in tuxedos with the headline "The Rick and Nik Show," which I can't find a picture of.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
A guy that I thought might be able to put up some numbers was Alex Picard. He couldn't translate his game to the NHL. Alexandre Picard Stats and News

Picard's knee injury took away what little speed he had. He could have been a serviceable bottom 6 player, but not after that knee injury. The other issue with Picard was his focus was entirely on hitting and playing physical. His mindset was entirely on wanting to prove he could play physical and defensively solid and didn't even both trying to play offensive. Then has his scoring problems continued, he was so snakebitten he missed wide open nets.

It's not a rumor, you can find Youtube videos today where MacLean talks about
the possibility of taking Kopitar with the 6th pick.

There's only 1 sure thing when you look back at previous drafts, that is sometimes
your best bet is place 5 or 6 players on a dartboard and throw a dart blindfolded.

Look at the 2014 1st round, how many GM's are still kicking themselves today for
letting Pastrnak fall to #26. When you read Pastrnak's pre-draft bio on NHL.com
it reads that He is a "great penalty killer"

Pastrnak and Kopitar both played for same Swedish team - Södertälje. It's a town outside of Stockholm and the belief is if any kids in that area are good enough, they'll be recruited by one of the Stockholm teams. So Södertälje recruited from Europe, but never has great coaching. They aren't one of the very good junior programs.

Pastrnak played with William Nylander and while they scored a lot, they were all over the place in terms of offense and defense. Coaching was terrible. The team was terrible. Kopitar played for Södertälje the lockout year and their junior team didn't get much exposure even though he put up a lot of points. I used to live outside of Södertälje (in Gnesta) and still have friends that follow the team. They raved about Kopitar.

But it's difficult to project where players will be when on the ice they are playing for a bad team with terrible coaching.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well, except for a cover of the Hockey News, where he and Nash were in tuxedos with the headline "The Rick and Nik Show," which I can't find a picture of.
They weren't in tuxes, and it was Zherdev, not Nash.
I can't link the image directly, but it's here, on the bottom row.

Incidentally, I know of this because of a research project. That moment is literally the only time anything Columbus Blue Jackets or any then-current CBJ player has ever been on the cover of THN. Atlanta and Vegas have shown up on the THN cover more often than we have. Even when we had the #1 prospect in the NHL in Future Watch (yes, it was Filatov), they chose to feature #2 (Cody Hodgson) instead. Rick Nash has been featured on the cover as a Ranger more often than as a Blue Jacket.

Last edited:

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
They weren't in tuxes, and it was Zherdev, not Nash.
I can't link the image directly, but it's here, on the bottom row.

Incidentally, I know of this because of a research project. That moment is literally the only time anything Columbus Blue Jackets or any then-current CBJ player has ever been on the cover of THN. Atlanta and Vegas have shown up on the THN cover more often than we have. Even when we had the #1 prospect in the NHL in Future Watch (yes, it was Filatov), they chose to feature #2 (Cody Hodgson) instead. Rick Nash has been featured on the cover as a Ranger more often than as a Blue Jacket.
I remember a picture of two guys in tuxes with that headline. Maybe I got the wrong Nik. Still can't find it.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
As someone (perhaps the only one now?) who still has a warm place place in his heart for GMDM, I think the developmental decisions the org took with players like Brule and Filatov specifically, but with lots of other players over GMDM's tenure as well, are the greatest strikes against him. I think if correct decisions about some of these guys' development had been made, then the draft decisions themselves could've turned out to be correct. Likewise, some other orgs' successful draft picks from that time period might not have turned out well for our team.

MacLean didn't draft Filatov, Howson did. His regime didn't develop any better than Doug's but he had much less ego.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
MacLean didn't draft Filatov, Howson did. His regime didn't develop any better than Doug's but he had much less ego.
Tell that to Brassard, Voracek, Atkinson, Calvert, Savard, Johansen, and Jenner. (Plus drafting Anderson and Korpisalo, altho they've largely been developed under the JD/JK administration)

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Tell that to Brassard, Voracek, Atkinson, Calvert, Savard, Johansen, and Jenner. (Plus drafting Anderson and Korpisalo, altho they've largely been developed under the JD/JK administration)

I don't think the Jackets had very much to do with Brassard or Voracek's development. Brass really developed later with the Rangers and Voracek was traded early in his career. Atkinson's development was more likely at BC than in the CBJ system. I do think they did a good job with Calvert and Johansen. MacLean's regime did a good job with Nash and Methot.

Every regime does some things well. The better ones just do more things well. I doubt the even Red Wings of the early 2000s who were known for their development would have succeeded with Filatov.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015

3CarolinaJack Johnson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Well........okay. You might be correct.

But of the 27 fans in the stands for Carolina games against the CBJ, 13 are CBJ fans, 10 are too young to remember the 2005 draft. So yes....the other 4 fans boo him.

I would know. I'm one of the 13 that usually attend, and I personally talk to the other 26 each time.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
To be fair- Filatov never really developed anywhere... His best year in the KHL was last season with 40 points in 57 games. This year he has 9 points in 28 games. Never really became a standout player over there or invited to any National Team games.

I think one of the telling moments of the Filatov saga for us was when we finally traded Filatov for a 3rd round pick just 2 years after being. R.J. Umberger gets on twitter just to say "Great trade!"

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Brule was immature. Out partying a lot.
Filatov was mishandled to some degree by CBJ. He came to America, moved into Zherdevs old condo and literally had no cable or internet for a week. Literally sitting in hallway stealing/borrowing neighbors wi-fi. You can blame this on his agent or the CBJ (or both). Shortly after the CBJ rolled out a better plan for rookies (Howson's wife may have been involved) but it was making sure the young guys had someone looking out for them.
Literally in early year the CBJ was a mess. You wonder why so many guys never panned out it was on the structure of the organ-I-zation (and leadership of team itself). Had a young goalie get mono and team didn't take care of him. It was literally the agent who sold/rented him his condo took him food until his parents arrived. They couldn't control Zherdev and finally had to bring him mom over. Svitov's wife didn't speak English and had an emergency with their child and if not for a neighbor who was a nurse it could have been on ESPN. Literally the CBJ did nothing to support their players and families. Welcome to Columbus we'll see you at the next game. Yes some of this is accountability of players (especially Zherdev) but in early days it was a hot mess.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Filatov was mishandled to some degree by CBJ. He came to America, moved into Zherdevs old condo and literally had no cable or internet for a week. Literally sitting in hallway stealing/borrowing neighbors wi-fi. You can blame this on his agent or the CBJ (or both). Shortly after the CBJ rolled out a better plan for rookies (Howson's wife may have been involved) but it was making sure the young guys had someone looking out for them.
Literally in early year the CBJ was a mess. You wonder why so many guys never panned out it was on the structure of the organ-I-zation (and leadership of team itself). Had a young goalie get mono and team didn't take care of him. It was literally the agent who sold/rented him his condo took him food until his parents arrived. They couldn't control Zherdev and finally had to bring him mom over. Svitov's wife didn't speak English and had an emergency with their child and if not for a neighbor who was a nurse it could have been on ESPN. Literally the CBJ did nothing to support their players and families. Welcome to Columbus we'll see you at the next game. Yes some of this is accountability of players (especially Zherdev) but in early days it was a hot mess.

Your last sentence sort of negated what I was going to say, which is that this is 50/50 for me. The org has some responsibility, sure... but Filly didn't have internet or TV for a week? Boohoo.

Now, is it in the org's best interest to help these guys out? Yes, they definitely should have done better.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015

I'm not saying you are wrong. You obviously have better sources or these things just come out over time. The one thing that doesn't square with what you are saying is knowing that John H. McConnell owned the team during that period. Maybe MacLean pulled the wool over his eyes, or never told him. If Mr. Mac knew, it would have gotten changed. I really believe that.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'm not saying you are wrong. You obviously have better sources or these things just come out over time. The one thing that doesn't square with what you are saying is knowing that John H. McConnell owned the team during that period. Maybe MacLean pulled the wool over his eyes, or never told him. If Mr. Mac knew, it would have gotten changed. I really believe that.

That post contained some seriously un-sourced accusations - which is not the same as me saying they're patently untrue.

That said, I'm not sure I agree with your point here about Mr. Mac. It's entirely possible that kind of thing would never have occurred to him. It's not like he had loads of professional sports team owning experience. I can see him not even thinking to ask MacLean whether or not those things were happening, not even knowing he should have been asking.

EDIT: To be clear, not intended to disparage Mr. Mac.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA

Filatov's mom was with him in Syracuse. He wasn't playing in Columbus that much the first year as an 18. He belonged in juniors, but transfers were a pain back then. Filtov was drafted by the Sudbury Wolves in the OHL and they had to fight with the IIHF to allow him to play for Sudbury. That wasn't until November and by that time, he was a point a game player in the AHL.

The problem is that players who need to be taken care of should be playing junior hockey with a billet family.

And their agents & managers are getting paid enough that they should be helping if players need it. Not that the team can't help, but I don't think it's entirely their job to help get the players internet service hooked up.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Viqsi said it earlier, but that huge open ice hit that Filatov took totally destroyed his confidence. He never wanted to carry the puck up the ice after that. He was a good player showing some promise as recently as the preseason before that game.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Your last sentence sort of negated what I was going to say, which is that this is 50/50 for me. The org has some responsibility, sure... but Filly didn't have internet or TV for a week? Boohoo.

Now, is it in the org's best interest to help these guys out? Yes, they definitely should have done better.
It's 50/50.
But to put this in personal terms. So your family takes on a foreign exchange student. The day the student arrives you decide to take your family on vacation and leave a key under the front door mat. Do you really expect good things to happen?
Now imagine a Russian coming to the USA, he spoke English (better than Zherdev) but the CBJ should have bent over backwards to make sure he was set. Again his agent should have done the same. Nash and leadership should have stepped in. But no one did.
Lot of teams (look at Pittsburgh) went out of their way (Mario opened up his home) to make sure elite rookie players were cared for.
Great teams (employers) set their players (employees) up to be successful. For a very long time the CBJ didn't. Lot of folks to blame but when we saw flop after flop from early draft picks (and outside of Zherdev not a lot of reaches, just selecting best player)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad