Why didn’t Filatov/Brule pan out for the Jackets?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
It's 50/50.
But to put this in personal terms. So your family takes on a foreign exchange student. The day the student arrives you decide to take your family on vacation and leave a key under the front door mat. Do you really expect good things to happen?
Now imagine a Russian coming to the USA, he spoke English (better than Zherdev) but the CBJ should have bent over backwards to make sure he was set. Again his agent should have done the same. Nash and leadership should have stepped in. But no one did.
Lot of teams (look at Pittsburgh) went out of their way (Mario opened up his home) to make sure elite rookie players were cared for.
Great teams (employers) set their players (employees) up to be successful. For a very long time the CBJ didn't. Lot of folks to blame but when we saw flop after flop from early draft picks (and outside of Zherdev not a lot of reaches, just selecting best player)

But at the same time, I'm not sure rolling out the red carpet would have helped with the ego issues some of these guys had. And those ego issues were a serious contributing factor to some of these guys' failures. I wonder how many therapists the team employs. Probably not enough.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
It's 50/50.
But to put this in personal terms. So your family takes on a foreign exchange student. The day the student arrives you decide to take your family on vacation and leave a key under the front door mat. Do you really expect good things to happen?
Now imagine a Russian coming to the USA, he spoke English (better than Zherdev) but the CBJ should have bent over backwards to make sure he was set. Again his agent should have done the same. Nash and leadership should have stepped in. But no one did.
Lot of teams (look at Pittsburgh) went out of their way (Mario opened up his home) to make sure elite rookie players were cared for.
Great teams (employers) set their players (employees) up to be successful. For a very long time the CBJ didn't. Lot of folks to blame but when we saw flop after flop from early draft picks (and outside of Zherdev not a lot of reaches, just selecting best player)

Thanks for the insight there.. These guys were pretty much before my time following the CBJ. I had heard some stories about how bad it was from my dad, but not quite everything...

As you mentioned, the Jackets and fellow teammates to an extent should have went out of their way to make sure the players were comfortable in their living arrangements. I'm not saying that would necessarily would have helped these players "pan out", but it might have helped. I imagine it would help if such players were comfortable in their living arrangements or had an organization that cared about such problems and allowed them to focus on hockey. Plus, it would probably help a player to care more about the team/organization/community if they felt cared/attended to. Of course, the Jackets had problems all around.

It explains why the Jacket's have invested quite a bit into their prospect development camp of late to help prospects feel more comfortable and set up.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Maksim Mayorov did stay with Tyutin and his family. That living arrangement can work for rookies, but those that want to party and stay out all night probably don't want to live in the suburbs with an older pro and his young family.

At the beginning of the 2008 season in Syracuse, Filatov was staying in a hotel with Starkov. A few months later, Starkov bolted to Russia (even though he had Danish citizenship) since he was pissed he was being used as a translator by the coaching staff and not getting playing time (he wasn't sent to the ECHL, just kept by the Crunch and during practices only translated). Starkov later got busted for betting on a hockey game he was playing in so he had his own off-ice issues.

Last edited:

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Maksim Mayorov did stay with Tyutin and his family. That living arrangement can work for rookies, but those that want to party and stay out all night probably don't want to live in the suburbs with an older pro and his young family.

At the beginning of the 2008 season in Syracuse, Filatov was staying in a hotel with Starkov. A few months later, Starkov bolted to Russia (even though he had Danish citizenship) since he was pissed he was being used as a translator by the coaching staff and not getting playing time (he wasn't sent to the ECHL, just kept by the Crunch and during practices only translated). Starkov later got busted for betting on a hockey game he was playing in so he had his own off-ice issues.

That's a good point, we really don't know that the jackets didn't offer more help/structure/etc and were refused.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad