Why did we ever trade Martinez?

VILARGOD

Sep 16, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
With his series clinching goal against the Hawks, followed up by his cup clinching coal against NY, I believe he deserved better.

To add to this, when trade rumors were going around about him, I remember him playing with extra intensity, even stepping in for Doughty when Cizikas was trying to fight Drew. Alec stepped in immediately. In my mind that was him expressing he will fight for this team and wants to stay with this team, especially considering the rumors surrounding him at the time.

He is still a good player, and has been for the Knights since we traded him.

I am aware the return was solid, and there is a possibility his play would be pretty useless by the time we contend again, but I cant help but to think he deserved better after everything he did for this organization.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
With his series clinching goal against the Hawks, followed up by his cup clinching coal against NY, I believe he deserved better.

To add to this, when trade rumors were going around about him, I remember him playing with extra intensity, even stepping in for Doughty when Cizikas was trying to fight Drew. Alec stepped in immediately. In my mind that was him expressing he will fight for this team and wants to stay with this team, especially considering the rumors surrounding him at the time.

He is still a good player, and has been for the Knights since we traded him.

I am aware the return was solid, and there is a possibility his play would be pretty useless by the time we contend again, but I cant help but to think he deserved better after everything he did for this organization.
Well he’s a bit overpaid so paying 5.2 on his next contract means it was a great time to move him. Yes he’s still a decent player but you have to manage based on what you think they will do for you in the future (in most cases). Whilst franchise players are exception to that across the league, right or wrong, it’s how it needs to be done especially as we were heading to rebuild.

Reactions: funky

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
Well he’s a bit overpaid so paying 5.2 on his next contract means it was a great time to move him. Yes he’s still a decent player but you have to manage based on what you think they will do for you in the future (in most cases). Whilst franchise players are exception to that across the league, right or wrong, it’s how it needs to be done especially as we were heading to rebuild.
Absolutely feel this way. I also believe we tried to do him a solid by trading him to a team that was trending toward being perpetual cup contenders at that time.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
That's what rebuilding teams do. Martinez isn't worth that contract he has now, and he'll be turning 35 soon.

Don't know if you've paid any attention, but Martinez also missed a ton of action this past season and only appeared in 26 games, and he's clearly on the downside of his career at this stage.

This isn't the same player from 8 years ago.

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
That's what rebuilding teams do. Martinez isn't worth that contract he has now, and he'll be turning 35 soon.

Don't know if you've paid any attention, but Martinez also missed a ton of action this past season and only appeared in 26 games, and he's clearly on the downside of his career at this stage.

Complications from the skate he took to the face, I think there may have been a concussion too

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
After the team quite in the 2018 training camp, everyone that could have been realistically gotten rid of, was gotten rid of. Rightfully so. Maybe if that collective group would've been a little more prepared to play hockey, they could've stayed together and tried making the playoffs a few more times. But, they chose their path.

VILARGOD

Sep 16, 2020
Los Angeles, CA

You’re correct in all these statements. I probably just feel bad for the guy. He definitely did not want to leave LA. Or atleast that’s what it seems.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The same reason we moved Muzzin, to get assets for a rebuild and return to competitive form in the future that would not involve these players. Maximize their return while they have value. If we were still competitive, we would have held onto them probably.

Jun 30, 2006
Don’t kid yourself, Alec will always be a King. He’s happy in Vegas with a nice contract.

That was a great move by Lombardi to trade up in the fourth round with the Capitals to get him in 2007. Earlier in the draft used a 2nd rounder from Vancouver in the Sopel trade on Wayne Simmonds. A very active GM on draft day.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I am aware the return was solid, and there is a possibility his play would be pretty useless by the time we contend again.

Answered your own question. Same goes for Muzzin.

Players want to win – some may prefer to move on and try to win somewhere else.

As @DryIslandBartender mentioned, players like Pearson, Toffoli, Marty, Cliffy, Lewis etc. that won the cup here in LA will always be bonded in that regard.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I think Martinez was not happy that the Kings were rebuilding. I'm sure no one wants to go through a rebuild but I think Martinez was the most vocal. I remember reading rumors that stated as such.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Was injury prone at 4 million per... and now at 5.2 it's getting even worse. Good player but age and injuries don't mix. Same for Muzzin.

We got them playing in their prime years and sold high on them before decline.
Wish I did the same with my portfolio to be honest.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Was injury prone at 4 million per... and now at 5.2 it's getting even worse. Good player but age and injuries don't mix. Same for Muzzin.

this past year injury with Martinez was such a fluke. And then I really believe Vegas did not rush back due to cap.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

shot blocking dmen seem to age like hitting power forwards, put a lot of banged up mileage on quicker than most

Reactions: apadilla

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
This might be the most pointless thread created ever. Trading AMart was the most no brainer thing. If he hadn't been traded, then a VERY worthy thread would have been: "Why didn't the Kings ever trade Martinez?"

VILARGOD

Sep 16, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
This might be the most pointless thread created ever. Trading AMart was the most no brainer thing. If he hadn't been traded, then a VERY worthy thread would have been: "Why didn't the Kings ever trade Martinez?"
I was up late, had some drinks, and was watching old kings clips when I made it. I just thought after those historic goals he scored he deserved a tad better but when I woke up this morning I realized I answered my own questions and also that at his price tag it wasn’t worth it to keep him

So, forgive me I guess...

Reactions: The Butcher

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Martinez wanted out. It was pretty clear he was unhappy here.

He was also playing like crap. (But went on to play very well for Vegas)

You could also ask the same question about Muzzin.

Last edited:

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
It’s been 2.5 years since the trade, so it’s valid to ask what happened there.

The trade brought back two seconds.

From what I can tell that has turned into Fiala and possibly Arvidsson. And Grans is there as well.

So pretty good returns that lend credit to Blake. My only contention is it should have happened sooner for higher picks, just like all the guys sold too late.

Reactions: The Pale King

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
It’s been 2.5 years since the trade, so it’s valid to ask what happened there.

The trade brought back two seconds.

From what I can tell that has turned into Fiala and possibly Arvidsson. And Grans is there as well.

So pretty good returns that lend credit to Blake. My only contention is it should have happened sooner for higher picks, just like all the guys sold too late.
Lias Andersson and Francesco Pinelli

Reactions: kingsfan

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Lias Andersson and Francesco Pinelli

If that’s correct, then I redact my praise of Blake.

Here are my sources….

Faber is a return for A Mart in 2020

Carolina picks at 40 via Nashville and LA in 2021

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Martinez was traded for

- 2020 2nd round pick (60th overall)
- 2021 2nd round pick (49th overall)

pick 60 was traded for Lias Andersson
pick 48 was packaged with a 5th rounder to move up and select Francesco Pinelli

And I believe pick 49 became pick 48 because the Coyotes were stripped of a pick

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
If that’s correct, then I redact my praise of Blake.

Here are my sources….

Faber is a return for A Mart in 2020

Carolina picks at 40 via Nashville and LA in 2021

Yep. Andersson and Pinelli.

Blake used the Toffoli 2nd to move up for Faber. Used the first Vegas 2nd on Andersson and used the second Vegas 2nd to move up to get Pinelli.

With the way Martinez played after the trade, the return already looked light. The return on Toffoli was light as well seeing as he has been traded for more since then.

Good on Blake for using that pick from Vancouver to move up for Faber but he didn't trade Toffoli for Madden and Faber: he did it for Madden and a pick. Good job to use it to move up though.

Blake has done quite well with the two Toronto trades and Arvi. The process was correct with Toffoli and Martinez but the results don't look to be there. Of course, that depends on if you are of the mindset to say "He traded Toffoli for Madden and Faber and, ultimately Fiala".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad