Why did the teenaged Crosby get more hate than McDavid is getting now?

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Didn't so much hate him before he entered the league, but then he went to Pittsburgh and that was the end of that chapter.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I started watching hockey in 2006. Crosby was already hyped as being the new face in the NHL.
All I saw was a guy who was constantly whining to the refs, diving whenever someone touched him, taking cheap shots and snapping the head back. He had formidable skill already, but his attitude was despicable.

At the same time, a 20 year old Russian guy broke out in the league and ruined the Crosby party. He stole the Calder trophy from the best prospect in ages. This young Russian man also had unbelievable skill, but did not whine at all to the refs (he didn't speak English at the time) and was never known to be a diver.

From there, it was easy to prefer Ovechkin to Crosby.

I stopped hating Crosby when he stopped complaining to the refs and diving because the media called him out for his attitude (circa 2010). The golden goal made me like him. Ever since, I respect and admire Crosby for the legend that he is.

I just hope that young McDavid will not make the same mistakes as young Crosby.

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
I don't recall there being hfboards hate on Crosby until he started playing in the NHL. McDavid just might not have had a chance to upset anyone yet, but I get the sense from the posts of his sad face picture after Edmonton won the lottery that there are folks that have their collective radar up for things to be unhappy with McDavid over.

I'll wait until a few NHL teams have to take penalties trying to take McDavid off of his game before comparing reactions to the two.

Moops

Jan 22, 2015
Please stop using the term hate and or hater in lieu of criticism or skepticism; it makes you sound like an ignorant child.

You're welcome.

There does, unfortunately, exist literal hatred amongst certain sports fans.

AwaKe

Jul 22, 2006
Crosby's probably the guy that gets runover the most in the NHL. Trolling him cause he whines from time to time is pretty dumb.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
McDavid is from Ontario.

Don't worry, the Oilers are immediately experiencing the jealousy-fueled hatred the Pens have experienced since drafting Crosby, and it will eventually turn onto McDavid pending success.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
McDavid is from Ontario.

Don't worry, the Oilers are immediately experiencing the jealousy-fueled hatred the Pens have experienced since drafting Crosby, and it will eventually turn onto McDavid pending success.

Funny how Pittsburgh got it with Lemieux/Jagr/Crosby

Edmonton now with Gretzky/Messier/McDavid.

Ironic how that the generational talents went to the same places.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Because he ran his mouth as a teen, but backed it up.

People nowadays are just delusional. He doesn't whine and hasn't for YEARS. He runs his mouth when people challenge him, but trolls consider it whining. However, when someone else does it, they're being a bad ass or in Toews case, "A STRONG LEADER"

He gets a bad reputation for something he did as a child.

Bang on. Especially that Toews part.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I started watching hockey in 2006. Crosby was already hyped as being the new face in the NHL.
All I saw was a guy who was constantly whining to the refs, diving whenever someone touched him, taking cheap shots and snapping the head back. He had formidable skill already, but his attitude was despicable.

At the same time, a 20 year old Russian guy broke out in the league and ruined the Crosby party. He stole the Calder trophy from the best prospect in ages. This young Russian man also had unbelievable skill, but did not whine at all to the refs (he didn't speak English at the time) and was never known to be a diver.

From there, it was easy to prefer Ovechkin to Crosby.

I stopped hating Crosby when he stopped complaining to the refs and diving because the media called him out for his attitude (circa 2010). The golden goal made me like him. Ever since, I respect and admire Crosby for the legend that he is.

I just hope that young McDavid will not make the same mistakes as young Crosby.

I'm sure Crosby sleeps better now that he has earned your respect.

Not saying Crosby didn't need to learn some things when he joined the league but I'll take a player whose "bad" antics were based on his competitive drive than a player who took 10 years to learn what it takes to try to win but looked cool in doing so.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012

Not saying Crosby didn't need to learn some things when he joined the league but I'll take a player whose "bad" antics were based on his competitive drive than a player who took 10 years to learn what it takes to try to win but looked cool in doing so.

He hasn't won yet :nod:

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Apples and oranges. You can't compare McDavid before he enters the NHL with Crosby in his first couple of seasons. Most people don't follow the OHL and only know McDavid from the World Juniors, which is to say, not very well. I don't think people followed Crosby in Rimouski as well either, he was just a name.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

The worst from Crosby was when he complained that fans in Verizon Centre were throwing too many hats after Ovechkin's hat trick.

That is what I mean when I say Sid used to whine.

Every player is flawed, even Gretzky and Lemieux made mistakes.

The Grim Reaper*

because the Pens won the lottery after racking up high picks for years.

most just wanted to see him fail.

The Penguins have made the playoffs 21 times in the last 25 years, not too many teams can say that. I wouldn't say they racked up picks for years, they were bad for a stretch of 4 years when they were mismanaged.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Cherry's comment about Stamkos was spot on. He gets less "star" treatment than any star in the game. Maybe there's something to embellishing.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Most of Crosby hate is a direct result of his overly obnoxious fans. If Edmonton fans start acting like fangirls of a boy band I guarantee he'll get the same hate.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
I'm confused, lol

Nobody hated Crosby before he broke into the league. Then he acted like a petulant child for the first three years.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Most of Crosby hate is a direct result of his overly obnoxious fans. If Edmonton fans start acting like fangirls of a boy band I guarantee he'll get the same hate.

Pens fans are some of the most reserved in the league. Go to a game in Pittsburgh sometimes. Go read the subforum.

It's perceived obnoxiousness derived from jealousy.

It will happen with McD too.

holyprime

Oct 5, 2010
The Penguins have made the playoffs 21 times in the last 25 years, not too many teams can say that. I wouldn't say they racked up picks for years, they were bad for a stretch of 4 years when they were mismanaged.
And 22 times in the last 30 years, drafting Lemieux the year before that, then racking up picks (2,4,5,4,16,5) right before you started to count.

Just like with the stretch you mentioned (1,2,1,2), they then went on to win a Cup.

But anyway, people would've disliked (the word hate is so overused these days) Crosby on a different team as well. I know i would have, it's just the way he came along and was presented as the poster boy by the league (he's grown up, like him a lot more these days).

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Always seemed a bit whiny, did complain to refs more early on, seemed to have a sense of entitlement. I think him going at Forsberg was the immediate tipping point for Flyers fans (we've never looked back, obviously).

In addition, the league was looking for a fresh face and shoved him down all of our throats. No bueno.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
It boils down to one event in Crosby's rookie season.

Derian Hatcher slammed Crosby's head into the boards, chipped his tooth, and Crosby complained to an official about it. After the Penguins won the game (on a Crosby goal in OT), a bitter Ken Hitchcock called Crosby a whiner and diver. Flyer fans ran with it.. and the rest of the league - who was waiting for a reason to hate the guy - jumped on board.

Its complete nonsense and always has been nonsense. There has never been a pattern of whining or diving with Sid. Crosby has done about as much as any other player coming through the league.

Que someone posting that video of Lapierre butt ending Sid off the faceoff. I love when trolls post that one.. because i was at that game and saw Lapierre's stick hit him right in the chin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad