Why Did The Kings Trade Cammalleri

FPotvin39

Pad Stacker
Jan 18, 2007
So Cal
I will happily admit I was dead wrong about Lombardi. What he has done with this team has been incredible. He has become the best gm in hockey in my opinion. I was a really really big fan of Cammalleri's back then so I was really upset over the trade. What I learned from that trade is to not get too attached to any one player. It's crazy to revisite this thread and think about where we were back then and where we are now.

Last edited:

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Actually, Lombardi could have handled Cammy's situation much better. We basically got nothing in return, so, yeah, as much as I love Deano, he did **** this one up, pretty good.

Captain Mittens*

Actually, Lombardi could have handled Cammy's situation much better. We basically got nothing in return, so, yeah, as much as I love Deano, he did **** this one up, pretty good.
We traded down and got something from Buffalo.
Then traded Teubert + for Penner.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
kingsfan,

Smyth had a NTC and his cap hit was grotesque. There was a reason Colorado was so willing to get rid of him, even taking on Preissing's cap hit. Smyth was simply incapable of playing beyond the 40-50 game mark and as I mentioned the Kings don't have the financial space to add Carter with Smyth's awful cap hit still on the books, so if you enjoyed the 2012 Stanley Cup I don't see how you would do this trade over and over again.

Had Smyth been signed for one or even two years then maybe it's a risk you take, but committing over 6m a season for three years for a guy in his mid 30's who played a bruising style and was slowing down significantly was not a smart move by Lombardi.

Herby,

Firstly, thank you for the personalized address. Classy.

Secondly, of course Smyth had a high cap hit. He also produced 20+ goals and 40+ points each season, regardless of when the drop off was. Did he play up to his cap hit? No. Could we afford him? Yes. Did his salary prevent us from making any moves? No. The trade was beneficial to us in that it cost us a depth D-man and we shed a contract that was just a waste of a contract slot and we added a veteran to play with the kiddie core.

The Carter trade is irrelevant because I said I'd do the Preissing+Quincey for Smyth trade over and over again. I also said "DL recouped Colin Fraser and a later pick out of the trade as well, and Fraser was solid in our 2012 cup run." If I need to spell it out for you, I'd also do THAT trade over and over again. Both trades were pre-Carter.

We were a team coming off several non-playoff seasons and DL seen a chance to possibly boost our offense and leadership and he did that with Smyth. Like him or not, he added 20+ goals and leadership.

How about you post all those cancerous problems that you said Smyth had? Still waiting on those btw.

Listen, I don't like Smyth either, I thought he was a punk ass dickwad for the way he left Edmonton in the first place and never was a fan of his ever since, but from a strictly hockey move it was a solid deal. Preissing may not have counted against the salary cap, but the team also has an internal cap and guaranteed AEG would have counted his contract against that. He was dead space, we dumped him and a largely depth D-man for a guy that helped out up front where we needed it. I'll do that deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad