Why Did The Kings Trade Cammalleri

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The guy's only 26 and is a pretty productive player. I thought he would be a part of the rebuild and fits in with the general age bracket of the youth movement which looks to be turning a corner soon. Why did the decide to get Kings get even younger?

KingsFan323

Apr 23, 2007
The guy's only 26 and is a pretty productive player. I thought he would be a part of the rebuild and fits in with the general age bracket of the youth movement which looks to be turning a corner soon. Why did the decide to get Kings get even younger?

Cammy was traded because he's in his last year of his contract and Kings didn't want to give him the money he wanted. Plain and simple and if you'd ask me, I'd rather have Teubert than Cammy. It's easy to replace a guy like Cammy and we would with one of our top offensive prospects, but finding a great shut-down D-man like Teubert is hard these days.

Heske_44

Jul 4, 2006

I think it a much safer route to nab a solid prospect, suck one more year and try to land in the top two. If Cammalleri stayed, got them even the 5th pick as opposed to a top pick, then up and left that would be a bigger step backwards.

Although with that said I do feel they didn't get enough in return.

zeppelin97

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
He wanted $6 million per year. I think Cammy will continue his trend of signing short term contracts, until he gets a huge payday.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He wanted $6 million per year. I think Cammy will continue his trend of signing short term contracts, until he gets a huge payday.

Wow, that's pretty unbelievable for his production, that makes total sense to move him then.

The Kings stockpile is really impressive. Looks like Lombardi is really getting some great pieces. Hopefully they'll be able to start moving up the standings soon enough...

two out of three*

I was gonna come in this thread and say "well because Cammy is overrated" but that would be false. Cammy is a damn good player.. He might even thrive in Calgary especially if he gets put on a line with Iginla.

But..

Not saying that Teubert is better or will be better than Cammy but we need CT more than we do MC.

Dominic Lavoie

Apr 3, 2008
His arbitration was messy, even with the Kings going easy on him. Rather than criticizing Cammy Dean Lombardi attacked the system for allowing players who hadn't won anything to earn big contracts.

He was moved because he wouldn't stay here, and because the Kings have Purcell ready to fill the hole his leaving created. The Kings also have Moller in the AHL now to push Purcell to succeed or risk demotion.

Dominic Lavoie

Apr 3, 2008
I was gonna come in this thread and say "well because Cammy is overrated" but that would be false. Cammy is a damn good player.. He might even thrive in Calgary especially if he gets put on a line with Iginla.

But..

Not saying that Teubert is better or will be better than Cammy but we need CT more than we do MC.

Cammy can play either wing and is a natural center. The Northwest doesn't have the same size down the middle that the Pacific Division has. In the Pacific the 1st line centers are Getzlaf, Jokinen, Modano, Thornton and Kopitar. Those are big guys.

In the NW you have Sakic, Bouchard(maybe Koivu), Langkow, Sedin and Horcoff. None of those guys strike fear into little centers from a physicality perspective. Cammy could center Iginla or play on his wing. He will have a good season - barring injury - and he could resign because he is a canadian boy. However more likely would be to go to Toronto for him in a year.

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear

Let's not propagate that as being fact. The Kings gave the arbitrator 2.8 million as their figure and 6 million was the counter from Cammalleri and his agent for the arbitration process.

The player sets a high number and the team sets a low number and you negotiate for a price somewhere in between. That's how arbitration is supposed to work and that's exactly how it played out. There's nothing greedy or outrageous about it, if that's the direction your implication was going.

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
But..

I think this is the biggest motivator for the trade. The Kings needed that defenseman whether it was Meyer or Teubert. The King's glaring weakness on the ice and throughout the organization was on defense and if there was a draft in which to make such a sacrifice, this was the one. So, DL orchestrated a deal that would put them in line to select another top flight defenseman.

I wonder if this is the infamous "***" that Lombardi warned us about?

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I think this is the biggest motivator for the trade. The Kings needed that PLAYER whether it was BEACH or Teubert.

There, fixed it for you. :D

Trust me, if DL wanted the project Myers, he would be the one GM that would have just taken him and not sweating the extra third rounder from Buffalo. Remember this is the same guy who took his guy Hickey 4th. DL will pick his guy one way or the other if the guy's there for the taking, even if it's a reach. He's definitely not the Islanders GM. Chicago wanted Beach so DL settled for Teubert. Myers was never in the picture unless both KB and CT were gone and DL had now other alternative.

- R

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
There, fixed it for you. :D

Trust me, if DL wanted the project Myers, he would be the one GM that would have just taken him and not sweating the extra third rounder from Buffalo. Remember this is the same guy who took his guy Hickey 4th. DL will pick his guy one way or the other if the guy's there for the taking, even if it's a reach. He's definitely not the Islanders GM. Chicago wanted Beach so DL settled for Teubert. Myers was never in the picture unless both KB and CT were gone and DL had now other alternative.

- R

I don't think Lombardi settled for anything. He picked exactly who he targeted.

Dog as Man

Mostly sniffing around.
Feb 27, 2002
Napa
One unfortunate fact, that I believe is unmentioned, is that in getting Teubert, (who I think is a great pick), Lombardi made 2 teams in the conference better.

(That 6 million number still flourishes, even guys who swear they never used it are using it).

Cammalleri will make the Flames better.

The 2 first rounders made the Ducks better.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
One unfortunate fact, that I believe is unmentioned, is that in getting Teubert, (who I think is a great pick), Lombardi made 2 teams in the conference better.

(That 6 million number still flourishes, even guys who swear they never used it are using it).

Cammalleri will make the Flames better.

The 2 first rounders made the Ducks better.
Except for the fact that the Ducks traded one of the first rounders, and took a long term project with the other...

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
You know ... I don't really want to rain on the parade, I think Teubert was a great pick at the 12/13 spot that Lombardi was able to move up to / traded down to get him. However, {and I've even seen it reported by so called sports reporters this way} it's not like we acquired an ADDITIONAL 1st round pick like some seem to think, we traded the 28th overall pick in the process too. Big deal right ? OK, but keep in mind that pick was supposedly the center piece, or big acquisition piece in the Norstrom trade to Dallas. SO, I sure hope Teubert truly turns into a STUD shut down NHL D-man, because in a sense we traded Cammalleri AND Norstrom to get Teubert ... yeah there's some other pieces to the puzzle that were part of these trades, but that's what it really boils down to, and I have to ask myself was Colten Teubert ‎worth Cammalleri AND Norstrom ??? I sure hope so :)

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site

That's not true in the least bit. He asked for 6 million in arbitration just like everyone else does. You have to ask high.

Please don't state your opinion as if they are facts.

Willard

Kings All The Way
Sep 15, 2004
Just Off Highway 1
You know ... I don't really want to rain on the parade, I think Teubert was a great pick at the 12/13 spot that Lombardi was able to move up to / traded down to get him. However, {and I've even seen it reported by so called sports reporters this way} it's not like we acquired an ADDITIONAL 1st round pick like some seem to think, we traded the 28th overall pick in the process too. Big deal right ? OK, but keep in mind that pick was supposedly the center piece, or big acquisition piece in the Norstrom trade to Dallas. SO, I sure hope Teubert truly turns into a STUD shut down NHL D-man, because in a sense we traded Cammalleri AND Norstrom to get Teubert ... yeah there's some other pieces to the puzzle that were part of these trades, but that's what it really boils down to, and I have to ask myself was Colten Teubert ‎worth Cammalleri AND Norstrom ??? I sure hope so :)

On the other side of the coin, since Norstrom was traded during what we all know now to be the tail end of his career, getting Dallas's 1st rounder for him looks in hindsight like an excellent move.

To use language Lombardi can appreciate, both Norstrom and Cammalleri were depreciated assets for the Kings given that the future of each player on this team was relatively short-term when each was moved.

Anjae11Eden

Mar 6, 2007
. yeah there's some other pieces to the puzzle that were part of these trades, but that's what it really boils down to, and I have to ask myself was Colten Teubert ‎worth Cammalleri AND Norstrom ??? I sure hope so :)

You do know Norstrom has since retired and Cammalleri was only under contract for one more season right? So you think you might rather have the memory of Norstrom and his retirement party by the Kings, and one more year of Cammalleri knowing that DL has been quoted as saying he didn't think he could sign MC, over a top notch defensive prospect that could be an important piece in making this team a contender? Really?

Puckz

Jun 22, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Simple he wouldn't have re-signed. He's dead set on testing the free agent waters next year. He won't even re-sign with the Flames.

Just wondering if you could supply a quote or source since Cammalleri has been moved saying he will be testing the market in free agency or stating that he will not re-sign with the Flames?

It was something I was wondering about since the Flames acquired him.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I guess Vancouver offered it's 10th overall for Cammy...but they wanted a prospect back? Should the Kings have done that and then landed more by trading down the 13th? I don't know.

The rough part about the deal the additional pick. Cammy for a 1st is understandable...but a 1st and a 2nd? Adam Foote, a 36 UFA landed a 1st at this years deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad