Why did the Coyotes start to suck after the 2002 playoffs?

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
You could always look at the draft too for why the Yotes have struggled. Example: 03 draft they didn't have a 1st or 2nd round pick and literally drafted not a SINGLE player that ended up laying in the NHL. (ref Hockey-reference)

1st rounder in 2001=Sjostrom... not a bad player but is he an 11 overall pick?
2002: Jakub Koreis (19ov) and Ben Eager (23)
03: One of the best first rounds in recent history... didn't have a pick and like I said... didn't pick a player that actually made the NHL.
04: Wheeler.... didn't play for the Yotes
05: Hanzal... actually not a bad pick for the spot overall. Injuries are what the issue was there I'd argue.
06: Mueller (8) Summers (29)

You could go back to 96 even and look that the 1st round picks.. it's not pretty.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You could always look at the draft too for why the Yotes have struggled. Example: 03 draft they didn't have a 1st or 2nd round pick and literally drafted not a SINGLE player that ended up laying in the NHL. (ref Hockey-reference)

03: One of the best first rounds in recent history... didn't have a pick and like I said... didn't pick a player that actually made the NHL.
05: Hanzal... actually not a bad pick for the spot overall. Injuries are what the issue was there I'd argue.

You could go back to 96 even and look that the 1st round picks.. it's not pretty.
2001 - keep in mind we moved up and gave up a second rounder to bypass Hemsky and take Sjostrom.

2002 - what a horrible draft (I was there). 3rd/4th liners in the mid first round. Not a great draft to have multiple picks.

2003 - Cliff Fletcher dealt our first for 2003 for Daymond Langkow. The epitome of a mid 6 C that made us just good enough to be in the mushy middle. This was the draft to accept the tank.

2004 - for all the grief we endured in the Wheeler selection.... what a f***ing pick. My god was he bad for several years after he was picked. Like didn’t look like he would make it in a bottom 6 capacity bad. We fired this entire scouting staff because of this pick. And then we didn’t try to sign a project pick. Then we dealt the compensatory pick 36th overall to move up and take Victor Tikhonov. Horrible mistake after mistake.

2005 - Hanzal has his moments. 15 years later I still can’t spell his name right. where are our second rounders again? Ah right we sucked in the second round of drafts.

2006 - again I attended. Mueller was decent and then injuries and mishandling happened. Concussions killed his career but he had talent. Summers never had the upside you want to see in a first rounder but he just never developed into more than a depth player.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

^this.

Probably the worst drafting organization the the NHL. Miss after miss combined with poor development and questionable trades.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
2001 - keep in mind we moved up and gave up a second rounder to bypass Hemsky and take Sjostrom.

2002 - what a horrible draft (I was there). 3rd/4th liners in the mid first round. Not a great draft to have multiple picks.

2003 - Cliff Fletcher dealt our first for 2003 for Daymond Langkow. The epitome of a mid 6 C that made us just good enough to be in the mushy middle. This was the draft to accept the tank.

2004 - for all the grief we endured in the Wheeler selection.... what a f***ing pick. My god was he bad for several years after he was picked. Like didn’t look like he would make it in a bottom 6 capacity bad. We fired this entire scouting staff because of this pick. And then we didn’t try to sign a project pick. Then we dealt the compensatory pick 36th overall to move up and take Victor Tikhonov. Horrible mistake after mistake.

2005 - Hanzal has his moments. 15 years later I still can’t spell his name right. where are our second rounders again? Ah right we sucked in the second round of drafts.

2006 - again I attended. Mueller was decent and then injuries and mishandling happened. Concussions killed his career but he had talent. Summers never had the upside you want to see in a first rounder but he just never developed into more than a depth player.

One of the most "Coyotes" things of all... being right (against the grain) in 04 but STILL managing to eff it up and get nothing great from it.

Yea, Mueller and Kolanos are 2 of those players I wonder "what could have been". Concussions really suck.

Pretty much the moral of the story is if someone asks the question "Why did the Yotes suck?" the answer is... whatever reason exists that you can name.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Not only not putting enough premium on the draft, but it seemed like we got a few players who seemed more into Arizona from a retirement standpoint than a "playing hockey" standpoint.

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems like players whom we signed as free agents often were on the downside of their careers, if we were able to attract any names.

Also, I don't mind trading to improve the team, but some of these deals are bad:
- Briere and a 3rd for Chris Gratton and a 4th? Ugh.
- Gratton, Vaananen, and a 2nd for Ballard and Morris looks okay, until you realize that the 2nd round pick was Paul Stastny.

At least it looks like we have some sense of a plan with our trades - many of these just didn't seem well thought out at all.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
We haven't drafted anybody near the talent of Tkachuk or Roenick nor signed one as a FA. That's 20 years of not having a great/franchise player. All those years of god awful hockey and we couldn't land a star. How many cracks at it did Edmonton have over the last decade? We are a sad excuse for a hockey team. Hopefully that will change now that we have an owner that can actually afford to own the team, if he still can after the economy collapse that is.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
We haven't drafted anybody near the talent of Tkachuk or Roenick nor signed one as a FA. That's 20 years of not having a great/franchise player. All those years of god awful hockey and we couldn't land a star. How many cracks at it did Edmonton have over the last decade? We are a sad excuse for a hockey team. Hopefully that will change now that we have an owner that can actually afford to own the team, if he still can after the economy collapse that is.
I think Wheeler is as good as those guys!!!

Reactions: RemoAZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad