Why did the Buffalo Sabres trade Tom Barrasso in 1988?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Barrasso was coming off a Vezina runner-up season in 1987-88.

Early in 1988-89, he was gone.

Traded on November 12 to Pittsburgh.

It wasn't like Buffalo was off to a horrrendous start: They were 8-8-2 on the day of the trade, way too early in the season to make what seemed like a panic trade.

I mean, in less than 6 months, he goes from a Vezina finalist for Buffalo to another team!

I feel like the Sabres gave up on Barrasso way too early in his career considering what he ended up becoming for Pittsburgh and Buffalo's struggle to find a #1 goalie until Hasek 4 years later.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I was at the draft where Puppa was taken, same one as Barrasso..

I can remember heads turning at several tables because they literally didn't know who he was.

The Sabres knew though and they made a great pick.

I believe it was injuries that stalled his career but he was good in his prime.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
http://buffalonews.com/1988/11/12/s...rasso-goalie-sent-to-pens-for-bodger-shannon/

The trade marks the end of a sometimes magnificent, sometimes stormy relationship between Barrasso and the area's hockey fans, media and his teammates. The former first-round draft pick (fifth overall in the 1983 entry draft) had a love-hate relationship with virtually all of the above parties. His ultimate demise here came about largely because the team had needs that only a player of his ability could fulfill in the trade market, but also because he wore out his welcome.

Article mentions other factors, like Puppa playing well, team needs & basic personality differences.

Reactions: Fixxer

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Barrasso was coming off a Vezina runner-up season in 1987-88.

Early in 1988-89, he was gone.

Traded on November 12 to Pittsburgh.

It wasn't like Buffalo was off to a horrrendous start: They were 8-8-2 on the day of the trade, way too early in the season to make what seemed like a panic trade.

I mean, in less than 6 months, he goes from a Vezina finalist for Buffalo to another team!

I feel like the Sabres gave up on Barrasso way too early in his career considering what he ended up becoming for Pittsburgh and Buffalo's struggle to find a #1 goalie until Hasek 4 years later.

Daren Puppa was a 2nd team all-star in '90 and finished runner up for the Vezina after he lead the league in wins

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Since Barrasso had apparently used up all his good will in Buffalo and Daren Puppa had an excellent pedigree (NCAA championship at RPI and AHL championship at Rochester) it probably seemed like a logical move.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Guy was an enigma even back then from the looks of things. Shame he was an enigma because the guy was 1 heck of a player.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
1) Barrasso had a notoriously caustic personality and had rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and had burned a bunch of bridges in Buffalo.

2) He was having a terrible year and not performing on the ice, exacerbating those off-ice issues.

3) Daren Puppa was a major talent who was outplaying Barrasso and ready to take the starting job. He finished #2 in Vezina voting the following year before injuries derailed his career.

4) The Sabres were able to get a huge haul for him. Bodger was a 22 y/o top-pairing defender and Shannon had been the #4 overall pick in the previous year's draft.

Basically Buffalo was able to ship out a cancer/dressing room problem, actually upgrade in goal, and harvest two blue-chip young talents in the process. Huge win for them.

Puppa is such a big what-if case. He was so good when healthy but only managed to start more than 40 games three times in his career.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I was excited about the trade when it happened; but unfortunately the return didn't turn out to be that great, as neither Bodger or especially Shannon lived up to their expected potential.

Still, the Sabres weren't any worse off for making the deal. Puppa was just as good, if not better, than Barrasso at the time.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Puppa is such a big what-if case. He was so good when healthy but only managed to start more than 40 games three times in his career.

Agreed. 3rd in Vezina voting in '96, which was a bizarre year for goaltenders. Behind Jim Carey and Chris Osgood.

Hasek, ten years older than Carey, finished 8th. :help:

Ian Moran Icing

Day-To-Day
Feb 25, 2016
Funny how Tommy B's caustic personality issues continued on in Pittsburgh over time.

Tommy was absolutely money in the 1992 playoffs, and some thought he could've won the Conn Smythe over Mario.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Funny how Tommy B's caustic personality issues continued on in Pittsburgh over time.
Tom Barra**hole.

Is there anything more dispiriting than the wealthy, successful athlete (or rock star, etc.) endlessly whining about intrusions into their personal lives? At least he simply tried to avoid the media entirely in Pittsburgh, which is better than whining or blowing your top, but how hard is it to smile once in a while for kids watching on TV?

Pretty good player, though.

By the way, how in hell do you explain Barrasso's first two NHL seasons? In his rookie year, he joined a team that had finished 3rd in their division the previous year, with nobody scoring a PPG, and with teenage Housley on defence. Barrasso was 18 years old for basically his whole rookie year, which is astounding for a goalie. So, basically, he played his first two NHL seasons entirely in his teens. Here's how he made out:

1983-84: 1st team All-Star, Calder trophy, Vezina trophy
1984-85: 2nd team All-Star, Jennings trophy, 2nd in Vezina voting

I mean it's not bad for a guy who could have been in Ontario high school.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Tom Barra**hole.

Is there anything more dispiriting than the wealthy, successful athlete (or rock star, etc.) endlessly whining about intrusions into their personal lives? At least he simply tried to avoid the media entirely in Pittsburgh, which is better than whining or blowing your top, but how hard is it to smile once in a while for kids watching on TV?

iirc his standoff with the media began when they were snooping around his two year old daughter, who had been diagnosed with leukemia not long after he got to pittsburgh and battled it over the penguins' glory years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad